PDA

View Full Version : Door 2 door help needed

Rayholio
01-22-2008, 12:04 AM
I'm doing a door to door campaign this spring.. I have some questions for the old pro's..

1st the set up.. I intend to sell 300 customers in 60 business days.
my initial plan is to have employees trained with a week of knowlege, and then they'll go block lead, hang door hangers, and try to set up appointments for me to come make the sale in person. the idea is that they'll be more like represenatives than sales people...

what's the best time of day to market? (sundays??)
how many hours do you work marketing crews?
How much training do you give them?
what's appriopriate pay?
what's the best thing to say at 1st contact?
What promiotion(s) have had a good response with door to door for you?

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-22-2008, 08:38 AM
Yes marketing sells a sales course on dvd, as well as a workbook that takes you step-by-step on how to sell lawn care. It goes hrough D2D sales, when & what to say & the offer. Cost 's $144 shipped & is WELL worth it!:clapping:
Get it at www.yes-marketing.com

Rayholio
01-22-2008, 11:25 PM
Allright.. I guess I'll order this.. hopefully it'll answer my questions.

in the mean time, of anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

sclawndr
01-23-2008, 07:39 AM
We use a lot of door hangers and they work very well. Our plan is to hit the same neighborhoods at least 3 times in a short period of time each season (spring and fall). I wouldn't bother training sales people to knock on doors. Marketing is mostly a numbers game and it'll be hard for your sales people to cover a lot of ground if they're trying to talk to someone at every house. In my area, that wouldn't work very well anyway as the best you can hope for during the week is for a stay at home mom, who isn't likely to make a lawn care decision on her own no matter how good the sales pitch. That said, if I did use sales people, I'd 1099 them and pay them a big commission. It would still be cheaper than mailers.

humble1
01-23-2008, 09:55 AM
who do you use for the door hanging printing?

crazy4green
01-23-2008, 10:43 AM
This may not help right now but in spring I sometimes send top salesman with a applicator for acouple days.Just when applicator is doing lawn sales rep goes to neighbors offering free estimates and selling programs. Normally we can get 2-3 sales a day or more in spring using this method and helps tighten up the routes. And we can do app at same time. May not help now but maybe in little bit. Good Luck and have a great season

sclawndr
01-23-2008, 11:40 AM
who do you use for the door hanging printing?

Doorhangersetc.com

Rayholio
01-29-2008, 05:00 PM
Just got the marketing program from yes-marketing

It's got a lot of good information in it.. but it's all common sense stuff.. would be great for a new start, or someone with NO sales experience.

It's totally useless to me.. it has one page in the book, and about 3 minutes on the DVD about door to door marketing... SO I STILL NEED HELP $150 later.. DOH!

If you want my full review of this product.. read on.. if not, you can stop here :)

1st impressions: I was initially very suprised at how amature the package was. I got a SMALL green binder with printed paper inserts for the cover.. Inside is about 35 pages (single side, double spaced, B&W) of sales advice, followed by another 20 pages of role-playing scenerios. The binder (believe it or not) was too small to hold the pages, as every time you turn a page, you have to adjust the rings.

The Dvd was obviously burned on a PC, and other than that, appears to be of acceptable quality. The content of the DVD matches what is in the book amost exactly.. Production value is acceptable, and Bill Hoop is a good presenter.

Content: The content provided is very good BASIC content. If you've ever read, or attended other basic sales training, you won't bring much from this. If you have little or no sales experience, it is invaluable. Basic, however important sales tecniques such as knowing what words not to say in a negotiation, when to close, and how to deal with rejection are all taught well.. although the example is basic, and not very believable.

They claim that they'll teach you everything you need to know from direct mail, to door to door sales, advertising, tele-marketing and more. the TRUTH is that half of the content, if not more is directed twards tele-marketing. We do a lot of business on the phone in this industry.. so this isn't all bad.. but it sure makes it look like they neglected everything else.

If you want to do direct mail, or door to door marketing, don't buy this. The one paragragh on each will leave you with a LOT of questions... like "how much did I just pay for this?"

This DVD was made for small - medium sized fert and squirt companies. and more than that, it was ONLY made for the owner(s)

It is not acceptable to use as an employee training aid. It provides too much information on how to market your business.. stuff that may bring an employee to believe that he can go it alone.. I'm not training defectors.. :)

Bottom line: The 'program' is short. It can be completed in about an hour, and it's about as deep as it is long. I've undergone intense motorola two-way training, and I know what it's like to reach a true understanding of sales thru training. Again, if you need help with basic sales tecniques, this will make you less of a blunt instrument. If you can handle yourself 'on the sales floor', or you're looking for help on specific marketing programs.. then avoid this.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-29-2008, 05:24 PM
WOW! I sure am sorry I steered you towards this! I haven't had sales training & have always struggled with that aspect of business. I have lived my life in this industry & another in the "technical" problem solving end, and never in the sales end. This is really the ONLY training material of it's kind geared specifically towards the green industry that I know of. *trucewhiteflag*

M&N Maintenance
03-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Thanks for saving me 150.00 bucks.

Rayholio
03-02-2009, 06:16 PM
LOL no problem! Glad people still read these old posts.. Heheh BTW, my door to door sales last year were abysmal... but since I make the sales guys block lead at the same time, the database we created has since paid for the loss..