PDA

View Full Version : Westheffer Co. Tanks

SLC, LLC
01-22-2008, 11:34 AM
Just got back last night from our trip West to Lawrence, Kansas - home of the Westheffer Co. We went down to pick up the tank we ordered - 275 gallon split tank.
Tank on one side is 185 gallon, and 90 gallon for the mating part.
Electric hose rewind.
Electric start.
Jet agitation.

Pretty excited to get this thing mounted on the truck once the weather breaks and I don't have to worry about freezing anymore. I will get some pics this evening of the tank/motor/hose rewing assembly.

RigglePLC
01-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Congrats Striper!
Where is the link? What kind of motor? Own battery or use vehicle battery? Looking forward to pics--be sure to wax it first. It will never be cleaner than right now. Does the motor have protection from rain and from solution dripping off the hose?

americanlawn
01-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Congrats! Westheffer built our first unit, and we still use the same design. Westheffer is QUALITY for sure. Did they use a Tuflex split tank? Looking forward to your pics.

SLC, LLC
01-22-2008, 01:37 PM
There were actually like four tanks there yesterday with Lawn America written on them Were you ordering additional tanks for yourself - might have been yours!

americanlawn
01-22-2008, 02:06 PM
There were actually like four tanks there yesterday with Lawn America written on them Were you ordering additional tanks for yourself - might have been yours!

Nope -- not ours. I'm a tight wad:laugh: I still use the same Tuflex split tank in my truck that Westheffer installed in 1991. These tanks last forever, and they look professional.

Good choice on your part for using Westheffer. Fine folks & high quality equipment. Nice job StriperPro!:usflag:

carcrz
01-22-2008, 08:01 PM
That's all I have used since they are only an hour away.

SLC, LLC
01-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Just a few pics of the unit

SLC, LLC
01-22-2008, 08:42 PM
more pics of the unit

SLC, LLC
01-22-2008, 08:43 PM
last of the pics

ICT Bill
01-22-2008, 08:58 PM
StriperPro
What application will you be using them for, fertilizer and pesticides or just pesticides. Trees or lawn or both

SLC, LLC
01-22-2008, 09:01 PM
One tank will have fertilizer and weed control mix, and the smaller tank will just have weed control. We will be doing only lawn applications.

ted putnam
01-22-2008, 11:34 PM
That looks like the Udor pump and gear reduction. You are going to love that Udor pump. I bought my newest unit from Westheffer just a little over a year ago and it had the Udor pump. If it's the R-70 you'll get excellent agitation. You won't be disappointed in the purchase,I promise you that.

SLC, LLC
01-22-2008, 11:46 PM
You got the specs on my tank down pat! That is exactly what it is. We are going to wait to put it on the truck until the weather warms up a bit so that it does not freeze.

ArchiesLawns
01-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Striper Pro, I like the set up with the split tanks! Nice! How much does a set up like this cost?

Thanks

SLC, LLC
01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Archies-
This setup was just above $4000.00, but we also picked up a few extra items and spare parts in the process.

humble1
01-23-2008, 10:31 PM
just when i was feeling good about my 200 gal spacesaver, now im depressed lol

SLC, LLC
01-23-2008, 11:08 PM
just when i was feeling good about my 200 gal spacesaver, now im depressed lol

Why do you say that? Is that the Lesco 200 gallon Spacesaver?

RigglePLC
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
About Westheffer--is the gas tank easy to fill? I have seen some space saver and skid sprayers where it is almost impossible to fill the gas tank--because the fuel filler cap is underneath the reel. You need a gas can with a long skinny hose. On mine I installed an extra gas tank in a convenient spot. Has anybody else found an easy way to fill the inaccessable gas filler opening?

Also...is it easy to drain and change the oil on the motor?

Also..will it be difficult to change the diaphragms on the pump?

Is there an intake filter in the tank to prevent urea from plugging the filter screen and pump?

What is the agitation system like?

SLC, LLC
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
About Westheffer--is the gas tank easy to fill? I have seen some space saver and skid sprayers where it is almost impossible to fill the gas tank--because the fuel filler cap is underneath the reel. You need a gas can with a long skinny hose. On mine I installed an extra gas tank in a convenient spot. Has anybody else found an easy way to fill the inaccessable gas filler opening?

Also...is it easy to drain and change the oil on the motor?

Also..will it be difficult to change the diaphragms on the pump?

Is there an intake filter in the tank to prevent urea from plugging the filter screen and pump?

What is the agitation system like?

The gas tank on this model is easily accessible. It is below of the hose reel, but sits in an open area with plenty of room to fill tank. Oil changes are a piece of cake. We use one of the suction deals to suck out old oil, so getting to the drain plug is not a problem. Have not done anything with the diaphragms on the pump - so cannot answer that questions right now. There is no filter screen, but we do not have plans of putting urea in there anyways. Agitation system runs the Udor-70 pump. I have heard excellent things about this pump.

americanlawn
01-24-2008, 06:47 PM
Nice unit StriperPro. Looks just like our hose reel/pump frames. Our original Westheffer pump frame was made out of steel. We since went to aluminum, cuz it's much less corrosive and it weighs much less. Out 3/4 ton trucks are maxed out regarding weight capacity when we're hauling 300 gallons and bags of fert. We even remove the spare tire underneath to lessen the weight & wear & tear on our trucks.

Nuther difference is our tanks are fiberglass Tuflex tanks instead of plastic. Plastic tanks are fine, but they do not last as long. They also tend to fade/discolor. So sometime down the road, you may choose to switch to fiberglass?? Anyways....nice unit!

Oh yeh -- we also installed quick disconnect fittings on our tanks so we can fill them about 75 gallons per minute. Just a thought.

SLC, LLC
01-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Nice unit StriperPro. Looks just like our hose reel/pump frames. Our original Westheffer pump frame was made out of steel. We since went to aluminum, cuz it's much less corrosive and it weighs much less. Out 3/4 ton trucks are maxed out regarding weight capacity when we're hauling 300 gallons and bags of fert. We even remove the spare tire underneath to lessen the weight & wear & tear on our trucks.

Nuther difference is our tanks are fiberglass Tuflex tanks instead of plastic. Plastic tanks are fine, but they do not last as long. They also tend to fade/discolor. So sometime down the road, you may choose to switch to fiberglass?? Anyways....nice unit!

Oh yeh -- we also installed quick disconnect fittings on our tanks so we can fill them about 75 gallons per minute. Just a thought.

Do you have any pictures of how you did the quick disconnect on the tank? I mentioned doing this, but am not exactly sure how to set it up.