PDA

View Full Version : Anyone maintain artificial turf??

LwnmwrMan22
01-22-2008, 12:20 PM
The local school district that I maintain is tearing out 4 fields and putting in artificial turf.

I'm just wondering if anyone here maintains (I know you don't mow it) artificial / field turf and what does it take??

I just got the contract for the district renewed through 2010, and am looking at ways to expand my service with them.

big acres
01-22-2008, 11:40 PM
We meet again. I have not worked with artificial turf BUT I do know that you won't be mowing it. Kidding aside, I bet a guy might be able to fab up something like a leaf plow with sqeagees and/or rollers that would enable you to offer field drying service so they can keep their game schedules from getting too disrupted? You could put it on a Z, and since your not out cutting wet turf, you might be able to run on rain days or just after rainfall -as if you don't have anything else to catch up on when you get a rain day!

txgrassguy
01-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Sports fields comprised of artificial turf do require care, usually topdressing with a specific sized sand, brushing and rolling.
The best way to determine what care is needed is to call the manufacturer of that particular brand of AT and ask them.

jmoore16135
01-24-2008, 10:39 PM
The main service you would be able to offer to the school is brushing or grooming of the synthetic surface. For synthetic surfaces, depending on the type, it is usually required at least once a month, sometimes more, depending on the frequency of usage of the surface.
Depending on what lines they have stitched into their fields you could offer to do field setups and paint lines in for sports like lacrosse or rugby which are not usually stitched into the field at the time of installation.

LwnmwrMan22
01-27-2008, 11:19 PM
I've talked with the district to see if they're interested in farming out the maintenance of the a/t fields or not.

They've not yet decided on which turf to go with, so the maintenance of such or equipment needed to do such is still up in the air as well.

They HAVE however agreed to meet at the table with me once a decision is made to see if it would be a better deal for both to have me purchase the equipment and do the work, or the school themselves.

The school has been one to farm out all maintenance duties that require equipment. This includes the bussing as well.

Their stance is that they cut one check, they don't have employees taking time demoing product every year or 3, and they're not paying retirement for people to do a job that can be hired to an outside contractor.

They don't take the guys from shop and wood class to build an addition onto the school, so why should this be any different....... Their attitude is that the school is there to teach, that's their main goal.

It's nice to have access to people that think like that.

humble1
02-09-2008, 09:30 PM
just dont aerate it-lol

huntnfish21
02-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Alot of the new turf is using ground up rubber that needs to be swept a couple times a year. You could use a flat metal drag like they use on baseball fields and drag the turf fields