PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Use a DumpKit?

G-K
01-22-2008, 01:38 PM
After months of lurking I have joined.

I will be going into my second season of lawncare and Ive learned lots from this site.

Backround: Been a plow driver for 6 years. LAst year I bought a truck and did my own thing since with success. Was a drywaller / handyman most of the time until a family friend needed help mowing lawns twice a week. This was last season and I learned alot from him about the biz. Now Im really getting into this ( got some plow contracts to sign for lawn work). Id rather push a mower in the great outdoors allday than lift 5/8 in a dusty construction site.

enough rif raf.

Im not sold on the Idea of a dump insert. A dump kit seems more Ideal. Lot less added weight , cost is less (costs aboot $1000) and honestly I like the bed of my truck the way it is.
I want my truck to dump for the same reason most of you do.

Please list your opinions.

oh its a 97 chevy 2500 6.5 diesel :canadaflag:

AceFinish
01-22-2008, 04:20 PM

I will be going into my second season of lawncare and Ive learned lots from this site.

Backround: Been a plow driver for 6 years. LAst year I bought a truck and did my own thing since with success. Was a drywaller / handyman most of the time until a family friend needed help mowing lawns twice a week. This was last season and I learned alot from him about the biz. Now Im really getting into this ( got some plow contracts to sign for lawn work). Id rather push a mower in the great outdoors allday than lift 5/8 in a dusty construction site.

enough rif raf.

Im not sold on the Idea of a dump insert. A dump kit seems more Ideal. Lot less added weight , cost is less (costs aboot $1000) and honestly I like the bed of my truck the way it is.

oh its a 97 chevy 2500 6.5 diesel :canadaflag:
I would just trade the truck now for a 1 ton dump truck or get a dump trailer if you not going to need it for salt the dump trailer can be a cheaper and better option for a guy just starting to get in the biz

Isobel
01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
I would just trade the truck now for a 1 ton dump truck or get a dump trailer if you not going to need it for salt the dump trailer can be a cheaper and better option for a guy just starting to get in the biz

how would a dump trailer be cheaper? a new dump trailer will go for anywhere from $2500 and up, while a dump kit for the pickup--not a dump insert I assume--would be about $1000.

Isobel
01-29-2008, 11:49 PM

Do you mean the type of kit that turns your existing pickup into a dump bed? I've been thinking of the same thing, but I'm also looking for opinions...

:)

pclawncare
01-30-2008, 01:03 AM
I dont have personal experience but i would think you would have to be careful with the dump kits because with heavier materials i would think the bed would tend to flex and could eventualy over time possibly crack the spot welds but i may be wrong.

Isobel
01-30-2008, 01:28 AM
yea, i would think that too.

if I do end up buying one of these, I might just have one of my welder friends stiffen up the underside of the bed.

F Y P M
01-30-2008, 01:59 AM
I personally would get a dump insert various reasons. I have 2 one ton dumps, great trucks but between gas and no personal use I would definately go insert on 1.

LawnGuy73
01-30-2008, 10:07 AM
The factory bed on your truck is not made to lift and dump. It will bend and welds will break after a couple of months depending on how often you us it. There is a guy around here that tried to take the cheap way out and bought a dump kit. You will save yourself a couple thousand today, to spenf several thousand later. :hammerhead:

kps2389
01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
If you want to keep your truck and make it a dump without a dump insert then make it a flatbed dump. The stock bed will break and twist.

G-K
01-30-2008, 04:15 PM
alright so a kit is a bad idea. thanks for the input everyone.