PDA

View Full Version : ztr and turf tearing

dmk395
10-27-2001, 11:39 AM
I talked to a friend of mine that runs an Encore ztr, for which customers complain about, (so does he because it breaks alot). Nonetheless do many of you get complaints running a ztr on residentials, regardless of brand?

eslawns
10-27-2001, 12:20 PM
I can see several reasons which can cause this:

1. If you turn around with the inside wheel pivoting in place.
If the grass is watered every day (which causes a shallow root system) you can also. I suggest making 3 point turns to turn around, and sweeping right or left turns. Be careful in tight turns not to spin the inside wheel in reverse.

2. If you are making turns or stopping at full throttle, it will tear up turf. Slow down gradually before changing direction.

3. Reversing the controls while you are still going in the other direction. The tires will spin while the wheels turn and and drag. As you slow, let the controls come to the neutral position before reversing direction.

Hope this helps.

GrassChopper
10-27-2001, 12:50 PM
The only other observation is rutting. Be sure to cut a different pattern each time. The weight of the machines can rut the lawn easily. I learned this the hard way. Unfortunately the dealers don't tell you these things when you buy them.

eggy
10-27-2001, 01:29 PM
I have been operating ZTRs for about three years now, about 30 hours a week and I still tear turf on a few occasions. Right now we have had a ton of rain here and the ground is supper soft, it seems like in these condition I might tear a little, but we are talking almost and I do say almost not there, however if a homeowner or property manager walked the grounds looking straight down at where I have mabe turns the might notice one or two marks, a lot of it is also the grass is laid over two....dont sweat it to much unless you are really leaving divots.

kutnkru
10-27-2001, 10:39 PM
Because there are so many out there using a Z that dont understand what damages can be done many homeowners have just decided that they are destructive overbearing pieces of equipment that need not be used on their premises.

I would take one out to a field and practice all weekend turning from slow passes to fast passes so that you can master turning without doing damage. And yes I agree that it is important to rotate patterns with these heavier machines more so than with wb's, but its also even more important to know the limitations of these machines when it comes to preserving the turf.

Kris

65hoss
10-27-2001, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by GrassChopper
I learned this the hard way. Unfortunately the dealers don't tell you these things when you buy them.

Thats because these guys don't run them everyday. There isn't any dealer of any type in my area I want to give me instructions on doing the job. Yes, they know about maintenance, but not the efficiencies of the field work.

dmk, I agree about the encore breaking.

I've never had any customer ask or say anything bad about the size of any of my equipment.

Shady Brook
10-28-2001, 01:01 AM
I tear up some turf from time to time. Certain conditions make it very easy to do, and at other times I just can not figure out why it happens. I have found that I am making more marks after getting some new rear tires. They were half the price of the oem replacements, and I think I know why! No complaints from customers, I probably notice more then they do, as I see the lawn up close, and most of them are to busy working. With a ZTR turf scars go with the territory!
Jay

1grnlwn
10-28-2001, 10:39 AM
Inside 90 degree turns. I have not found any technique that doesn't leave bare spot. Three point turns for me in field.