PDA

View Full Version : echo trimmer running problem

robertr
01-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi all, I have an echo PAS 260 that will not accelerate, starts and idles fine. I checked the exhaust port, it's clear. took the spark arrestor out long ago. It has a new carb, recently tuned-up. It happened suddenly, was running fine then this. Any help would be appreciated.

ed2hess
01-22-2008, 05:22 PM
I guess fuel filter is new and air filter? I don't understand the need for a new carb on this model since I think all of them had adjustment on the carb. And the insides can be rebuilt. The next thing I would do is take the knock out plug out and tweak the carb adjustment a little bit. Could have got a little debris in carb but would seem unlikely. Forgot guess a new breather was put in on tune up?

LCPullman
01-23-2008, 02:03 AM
Quick question, did you check the exit port on the muffler. It is thin enough that it can get clogged with carbon. (I've had it happen before)

topsites
01-23-2008, 04:11 AM
I would check the throttle cable connections, first at the carb, make sure when you squeeze the trigger that it actuates the valve.

LCPullman
01-23-2008, 12:09 PM
I would check the throttle cable connections, first at the carb, make sure when you squeeze the trigger that it actuates the valve.

Related to this: is nothing happening when you hit the throttle, or does the engine sound like its trying to go but can't.

If nothing is happening, it could be what Topsites mentioned

robertr
01-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. The engine does try to go but can't. I pulled the case and checked the clutch housing, it turns freely. can the ign. coil cause this? maybe if it's arcing against the case.

ed2hess
01-23-2008, 06:45 PM
Not sure coil would do it.....how old is this unit? Stills seems to me like it is a fuel problem since you are sure there is no carbon in the ports and the muffler is not clogged? Sparkplug is tight?

mowermankevin
01-24-2008, 12:13 AM
Is this a Walbro WYJ carb? If it is try taking one off another machine and see if it works, I run in to this all the time, I have a drawer full of these for winter time(now) and I break them into 3 pieces and switch out till I find out if it's the top,middle or bottom of the carb that's bad. Is your primer bulb full and working?

topsites
01-24-2008, 05:14 AM
Why not replace the in-tank fuel filter?
Has to be done sooner or later anyhow.

And you might have been hoping I wouldn't say that, but it's really not that bad.

LawnMastersTx
01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
I had this happen to me this last season. I thought I had cleaned everything but still it wouldnt go. I took out the spark plug and the carb. Looked at the piston and noticed some grim in the area. I sprayed carb cleaner into it and pull the cord to start it. Had a lot of stuff come out of it, did this a few times and recleaned the spark plug. The weed eater now runs like new.

I have also had the throttle cable come out of the spot where it connects to the carb. Would start up but since its not connected to the carb nothing happened when i pulled on the throttle.

Happy Frog
01-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Sounds like some crap got in the carb.

ed2hess
01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Sounds like some crap got in the carb.
Yea and kinda fluky that he just had tune up and new carb put on the unit:hammerhead:

Happy Frog
01-24-2008, 07:25 PM
Could be when the piece of crap went in the carb. :rolleyes:
I try to avoid disassembling my carbs for this very reason. I had a piece of seal going into one of the orifice and he took me forever to figure what was wrong (engine was going good and quit working all the sudden).
Since then, I just put some "Garanteed to pass" fuel system cleaner in my gas or mix once in a while and it keeps my engines running good.

shopmanual
01-25-2008, 06:01 PM
I would try a new spark plug and leaning out the fuel/air mixture for the carb. It probably idles well because it's almost like it's on choke. We have a Stihl that does the same thing.

RGM
01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Hi all, I have an echo PAS 260 that will not accelerate, starts and idles fine. I checked the exhaust port, it's clear. took the spark arrestor out long ago. It has a new carb, recently tuned-up. It happened suddenly, was running fine then this. Any help would be appreciated.

about a year after i bought my 260 i started having problems with mine took it in a couple of time for repairs and later found out it did not have adjustment on the carb and they were factory set in I believe Chicago which is a higher altitude then Baltimore a fact an echo rep had told me about and I took it back to my service center they put a new carb on and echo picked up the cost

Landrus2
01-25-2008, 07:02 PM
You say new carb it sounds like your main jet is blocked:drinkup:

RGM
01-25-2008, 07:14 PM
You say new carb it sounds like your main jet is blocked:drinkup:

I had it in twice to clean it and it just kept coming back to the same problem echo gave me new carb third time around the 260. I had was bought in 2001 the problems hit me by the end of the season. The problem was you could not adjust the carb no adjustment on it factory set at a much higher altitude then mine. I went though taking the spark arestor out also it did not help.

44DCNF
01-25-2008, 08:12 PM
about a year after i bought my 260 i started having problems with mine took it in a couple of time for repairs and later found out it did not have adjustment on the carb and they were factory set in I believe Chicago which is a higher altitude then Baltimore a fact an echo rep had told me about and I took it back to my service center they put a new carb on and echo picked up the cost

I don't think the info from your tech was very accurate. Chicago is only about 600 ft. above sea level so that doesn't fit. If it was an adjustment issue I don't think it would have run fine for the first year.

Breezmister
01-25-2008, 08:13 PM
A lot of good advice so far. Just to add my 2 cents, take the muffler off, start it up and see if there is any improvement. once and a great while I'll come across a muffler that will clog up with carbon. It will act like a clogged exhaust port.

Let us know what you find out as to what the problem is.

AmsoilPower
01-25-2008, 09:50 PM
One of the most overlooked items......the fuel lines. Check them and replace them.

ed2hess
01-26-2008, 10:19 PM
I had it in twice to clean it and it just kept coming back to the same problem echo gave me new carb third time around the 260. I had was bought in 2001 the problems hit me by the end of the season. The problem was you could not adjust the carb no adjustment on it factory set at a much higher altitude then mine. I went though taking the spark arestor out also it did not help.

Echo took the adjustment off the 260 carb and then it went back on...the reason was they needed to be adjusted during the year for various environment. And with wear they needed adjusting. It was worth $50 to put a new carb on with adjustment if you intended to keep it.

ed2hess
01-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Is this a Walbro WYJ carb? If it is try taking one off another machine and see if it works, I run in to this all the time, I have a drawer full of these for winter time(now) and I break them into 3 pieces and switch out till I find out if it's the top,middle or bottom of the carb that's bad. Is your primer bulb full and working?

That is why I buy Echo for the past 10 years....carb will fit on older ones. We buy a couple new trimmers each year and I use carb off those to debug as needed.