PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys how much will this benifit me

bigw
01-22-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey guys how much will this benifit me and my company to learn about and get my applicators license for pesticides,is it worth all the studing and reading that the pennsylvania dept of AG just sent to me.I understand the more you know the more you can do but sometimes things just are not cost effective,so would i be wise to persue this. I hope this aint a dumb question.

crazy4green
01-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Depends on weather at this time you want to put the money into all the equipment to apply it correctly.

bigw
01-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Depends on weather at this time you want to put the money into all the equipment to apply it correctly.

I should have said other then buying the equipment,i can get most equipment pretty cheap.

crazy4green
01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I would get the license. So when a customer asks if you can do this or that you can without any worries about beeing fined and it will lead to more buisness and thats always good.

mattfromNY
01-22-2008, 08:56 PM
BigW, I've had my business 2 years full time, this past summer I started getting numerous phone calls and current customers asking if I could fertilize/ weed control on their properties, including a few of my larger commercial properties.
I say, if you have the time (no snow here, I'm taking the courses now, while I have the time) and the funds to get the certification/ register the biz./ buy the insurance, then do it now. As your business grows, and you get busier, it will be harder to dedicate the time to it.
Another option is to look into the availability of a local outfit that you could sub the fert. to for the first year or two until your business takes off a little. At least in NY, it is quite an investment of time and money to put out, if you dont get the business to return that investment.
My .02
Matt.

Fert33
01-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Hey guys how much will this benifit me and my company to learn about and get my applicators license for pesticides,is it worth all the studing and reading that the pennsylvania dept of AG just sent to me.I understand the more you know the more you can do but sometimes things just are not cost effective,so would i be wise to persue this. I hope this aint a dumb question.

By reading some of your previous posts, my initial thought is don't do it. I mean your company takes pride in catering to the elderly. In my area most elderly folks are on fixed incomes. Aside from getting there lawn cut, I find that there is not much more money to be thrown at a lawn program. Of course it depends on the areas that you target for business. Don't get me wrong, for the money ferting is where it's at. If you can do it great, those were just my first thoughts. Good Luck:usflag:

GravelyGuy
01-22-2008, 10:28 PM
With you just starting out your going to have a lot on your mind as it is. You can get by for a couple years without doing applications and do just fine. Personally I would wait and focus on building your customer base rather than learning/worrying about spraying.

I just got my license last year and I don't have that many spray customers yet, but I am spending to much time because I don't have the right equipment. I get my new sprayer on Friday and I hope I will be much more productive for the upcoming season.

AustinLawnscape
01-22-2008, 10:51 PM
GravelyGuy - what type of sprayer are you getting. I'm curious because I'm looking now myself.

GravelyGuy
01-22-2008, 11:08 PM
GravelyGuy - what type of sprayer are you getting. I'm curious because I'm looking now myself.

Here you go. I'll put up some actual pics when I get it.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200329207_200329207

I think I did pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190191184314&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=009

bigw
01-22-2008, 11:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice i am thinking i will study and take the course now that i do have the time, and then i will learn it as time goes on.Then when the time feels right and i am in a good situation i will proceed to the next step which would be to get some equipment.For now i am going to really concentrate on crawling before i start walking and work on my lawn accounts.

Whitey4
01-22-2008, 11:25 PM
I am pretty much a startup too, BigW. My business model is a bit different than most are, I think. The big LCO's around here are charging 20 to 24 a cut for 3 and 4k properties. Most do apps, but pretty ineffectively, and likely ilegally too. They do volume, and whack away with hedge trimmers and never fix serious problems like bad nut sedge outbreaks.

I figured the only way to compete was to get a lot smarter about total property management, and offer an overall higher quality of service. That meant getting not only getting certified for pesticides, but to also begin advancing my overall horticultural knowledge and ability to diagnose and correct problems much better than they can.

So, I offer a free soil pH test, with the promise if they don't need lime, they won't get it. Weekly scouting with a hand held magnifier to prevent problems before they become unmanagable and damage or kill turf and ornamental plantings. Correcting their bad turf watering habits. Only using pesticides after other control options have been considered and either been ineffective or too late to employ.

I think it's a great idea to get certified if you can find the time. You might be a bit too busy right now, because it does take a pretty big time investment in the northeast. I took a 30 hour course, and have put in about 80 hours of study time and I'm still worried about my test on Jan 29. I got weevils, mites, beetles fungi, nematodes, grubs, larvea, flies and diseases coming out of my ears. I wish I had another week for more study.

I know you've been canvassing.... has it come up at all? In my area, it seems only the price shoppers want mow and blow servcie, most others want full ferts and controls too. If you havent started yet, you can't get certified (most likely) in time for the pre-emergent app time in PA. It might pay to wait until next year. It will cost me about $1000 to get my tech certification. That includes the NYS business registration to apply pesticides. Costs may be different in PA.

Being certified is a big part of my sales pitch and my business plan. It's a good tool to have, but it does make your life more complicated. The record keeping and storage laws are a pita. DEC audits can be rough from what I hear. Don't know if this helps you at all....

bigw
01-23-2008, 12:04 AM
I am pretty much a startup too, BigW. My business model is a bit different than most are, I think. The big LCO's around here are charging 20 to 24 a cut for 3 and 4k properties. Most do apps, but pretty ineffectively, and likely ilegally too. They do volume, and whack away with hedge trimmers and never fix serious problems like bad nut sedge outbreaks.

I figured the only way to compete was to get a lot smarter about total property management, and offer an overall higher quality of service. That meant getting not only getting certified for pesticides, but to also begin advancing my overall horticultural knowledge and ability to diagnose and correct problems much better than they can.

So, I offer a free soil pH test, with the promise if they don't need lime, they won't get it. Weekly scouting with a hand held magnifier to prevent problems before they become unmanagable and damage or kill turf and ornamental plantings. Correcting their bad turf watering habits. Only using pesticides after other control options have been considered and either been ineffective or too late to employ.

I think it's a great idea to get certified if you can find the time. You might be a bit too busy right now, because it does take a pretty big time investment in the northeast. I took a 30 hour course, and have put in about 80 hours of study time and I'm still worried about my test on Jan 29. I got weevils, mites, beetles fungi, nematodes, grubs, larvea, flies and diseases coming out of my ears. I wish I had another week for more study.

I know you've been canvassing.... has it come up at all? In my area, it seems only the price shoppers want mow and blow servcie, most others want full ferts and controls too. If you havent started yet, you can't get certified (most likely) in time for the pre-emergent app time in PA. It might pay to wait until next year. It will cost me about $1000 to get my tech certification. That includes the NYS business registration to apply pesticides. Costs may be different in PA.

Being certified is a big part of my sales pitch and my business plan. It's a good tool to have, but it does make your life more complicated. The record keeping and storage laws are a pita. DEC audits can be rough from what I hear. Don't know if this helps you at all....
helps alot and am debating right now what to do,if i study hard enough i can take the test at the end of feb.A license here is something like 35.00 a year or better yet here....Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Fees
$50 Core Exam
$10 Category Exam (per exam)
$35 Business License (commercial and public, annual fee due 12/31)
$40 Commercial Applicator Renewal (annual fee due 9/30)
$30 Commercial Registered Technician (annual fee due 2/28)
$10 Public Applicator Renewal (triennial fee due 9/30)
$20 Public Registered Technician (annual fee due 2/28)
$10 Private Applicator Renewal (triennial fee due 3/31)