PDA

View Full Version : Tranny problems with my Sport Trac

nickscuttingedgelawn
01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I have a 2003 Ford Sport Trac 4x4

It has a hair over 56,000 miles. I use this truck to tow my 17ft landscape trailer which loaded weighs about 3,000lbs. The problem is yesterday I was topping off my fluids and noticed that my tranny fluid is no longer red but a dark brown/black color and it smells terrible (like something burning but not campfire smells much worse) I have noticed over the past 5,000 miles the tranny does clunk when shifted into drive and when I put my truck in park it will roll 1-2 feet. Do you guys think it is on its way out with only 56k. I am going to flush it this weekend and top off with synthetics.

Any info would be helpful I have heard this happens with the smaller trucks and this is why I am looking at something bigger.

dgZtrak737
01-22-2008, 10:11 PM
I have a 2003 Ford Sport Trac 4x4

It has a hair over 56,000 miles. I use this truck to tow my 17ft landscape trailer which loaded weighs about 3,000lbs. The problem is yesterday I was topping off my fluids and noticed that my tranny fluid is no longer red but a dark brown/black color and it smells terrible (like something burning but not campfire smells much worse) I have noticed over the past 5,000 miles the tranny does clunk when shifted into drive and when I put my truck in park it will roll 1-2 feet. Do you guys think it is on its way out with only 56k. I am going to flush it this weekend and top off with synthetics.

Any info would be helpful I have heard this happens with the smaller trucks and this is why I am looking at something bigger.

Hello
I am sorry to here about your troubles. I worked in the auto industry for 7 years dealing with such problems as this. That is an awfull big load for your vehicle to pull. Sounds like you have burnt your transmission fluid. Your vehicle is probabbly not equipped with transmission coolers, therefore that big load has caused your transmission to run at hotter temps and cook your fluid, and yes it STINKS BAD. This can be caused by pulling in overdrive. I would not advise servicing your transmission now, its probabbly to late. Although servicing might correct your problem, its also likely to cause transmission faliure. I have seen that happen dozens of times, especially on fords. The only thing I would advise you to do at this point would be get to get a can of LUCAS tranmission additve and apply it by the directions. Then I would seriously consider a new pull vehicle.
I hope my comments are helpfull

P.Services
01-22-2008, 10:18 PM
change the fluid and add lucas. then dont drive it and put it up for sale!!!! he will never know

GravelyGuy
01-22-2008, 10:20 PM
My dad's 98 Dodge started its tranny bullsh!t around 32,000 miles. We changed the fluid in it and added some kind of tranny additive and it ran until 38,000 when it totally grenaded. I would probably give it a try before writing it off.

Maybe you can get it to shift normal enough to go trade it in at the dealership lol. Sorry about your luck.

Ridin' Around
01-22-2008, 10:44 PM
When you put the synthetic back in use Amsoil. I know several guys using it in heavier trucks, all have guages and those guys see a 50 degree drop in tranny temps. this may be a life saver for you. The color and smell should not scare you as mucch if the tranny has not begun to slip or shift funny. Good luck!

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
01-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Sorry to hear but what did you honestly expect? Thats a big load behind a mid-size suv. My wife has a '01 and it has the power to pull a small load but I don't think it would last very long. Check on EBAY, last week I saw a guy here in NC had a tranny for one of these with the starting bid @ $100 w/ no reserve. THe tranny I think had 80k or so miles but for the price it was a good deal.

nickscuttingedgelawn
01-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys, my local mechanics took a look at it today and said that if I get the fluid changed and put new fluid in it may end up locking the tranny up when I try to drive it. They told me the best thing to do is add a Lucas treatment and wait till it goes completely which they estimated another 5-10k.

As for the other question I can still get a trade in on it too, which I am taking into consideration.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
01-23-2008, 07:42 PM
your having trouble b/c that thing is made to pull like a single jetski or something. If you are going to us it to "Work". then get a "Work" truck.

nickscuttingedgelawn
01-23-2008, 07:51 PM
your having trouble b/c that thing is made to pull like a single jetski or something. If you are going to us it to "Work". then get a "Work" truck.

I realize this but it seemed to be fine for the first 50,000 miles and I have done stuff to it to help it out here and there and its not an overall bad "truck" to use and it is not too big either. I do agree though it was not meant to tow what I have been towing will it:)

thanks for all input.