PDA

View Full Version : Cold Starting Diesels Made Easy

AmsoilPower
01-22-2008, 11:51 PM
Ever wish your truck would start easier in the bitter cold? All you have to do is change the oil. Synthetic oils have a much lower pour point than conventional oils, therefore allowing the engine to turn over easier. This is just one of the benefits of using Amsoil. Easier starting, engines that run cooler, oil that does not break down and in most cases improved fuel economy.

Why would anyone use Mobil 1 and support big oil companies that are driving YOUR fuel expenses thru the roof??????????:confused:

For those of you who are new to Lawnsite, I highly recommend reading what people are saying about Amsoil products. I have been very surprised by how many of you have signed up with me in the last month with a commercial account. People are beginning to see the benefits of Amsoil products and are putting them in trucks, mowers, toys (atvs, bikes) etc. Those of you who are in need of more info, please email or PM anytime. I WILL reply quickly. I am here to help you all save money and make money, just not in your traditional way........cheaper insurance, cheaper fertilizers, tell you how to bill your accounts, etc.

After all, Amsoil was the FIRST to develop a synthetic oil, not any of the big oil companies!!!!!

vadeere
01-23-2008, 12:01 AM
Ever wish your truck would start easier in the bitter cold? All you have to do is change the oil.

So changing the oil will warm the coolant and the oil, replace block heaters, glow plugs, intake manifold heater grids? Synthetic oil is good and all that, but I do not think its the second coming of Christ like some think. That being said Ive used amsoil in my sea doo, it was great, I may use yalls two cycle mix next year. Yall have a great product but this statement is like saying the flowmaster sticker on your camaro makes it run 12's.

AmsoilPower
01-23-2008, 12:37 AM
So changing the oil will warm the coolant and the oil, replace block heaters, glow plugs, intake manifold heater grids? .

Short of keeping the coolant warm, yes it can replace block heaters and heater grids. I don't know of anyone around here who uses Amsoil and "plugs in the truck at night".

barefeetny
01-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Nothings a cheap as Good old starting fluid

just don't shoot it when the glow plugs are on and your not cranking.

lol i kid I havn't done that to my junk plow truck in days

So does this stuff come with a big old super triple your money back super satsfaction garuntee

i kid again

i heard about the oil sounds good... pm me and sell me some..

IA_James
01-23-2008, 03:22 AM
Nothings a cheap as Good old starting fluid

just don't shoot it when the glow plugs are on and your not cranking.

For general information. The Cummins Dodges use a grid heater rather than glow plugs, and shooting ether into the intake on one of those results in rather spectacular results when it explodes before it gets anywhere near the cylinder.

So changing the oil will warm the coolant and the oil, replace block heaters, glow plugs, intake manifold heater grids? Synthetic oil is good and all that, but I do not think its the second coming of Christ like some think. That being said Ive used amsoil in my sea doo, it was great, I may use yalls two cycle mix next year. Yall have a great product but this statement is like saying the flowmaster sticker on your camaro makes it run 12's.

I'm not an Amsoil Kool-Aid drinker, but synthetic oil really does flow better at low temps than dino oil. Just for reference, (I'm aware it's not quite apples to oranges, but it's at least limes to oranges) my truck with 15/40 Dino in it, not plugged in, and + 5F, WILL NOT start. Won't do it. Not happening. 5/40 Syn (I know, it's a little thinner, but try and find 5/40 dino) and the truck starts at -20F. Same batteries, same truck, only difference is one week later between the dino and the syn. Just my personal (not Amsoil) experience. IMHO, synthetic oil is great to use in diesel engines in the northern part of the country.

PS: I haven't run a long term mileage test (consistent source of fuel, Nazi about tire pressure and load, etc etc) but it seems like my truck gets about 1 mpg better with syn than with dino.

My ride:

04.5 Dodge Ram 2500
5.9 Cummins (the one with the cat)
4wd
NV5600 6 spd. manual tranny
3.73 gear ratio
265/70/17LT tires (Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo right now)

lwcmattlifter
01-23-2008, 07:15 AM
Someone explain to me how oil is going to give back the CCA's your battery loses when the weather turns cold?

I run Amsoil in the some of my manual trannies and it's ok but no glow plugs or heater grids...come on that's a little deep.

AceFinish
01-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Ever wish your truck would start easier in the bitter cold? All you have to do is change the oil. Synthetic oils have a much lower pour point than conventional oils, therefore allowing the engine to turn over easier. This is just one of the benefits of using Amsoil. Easier starting, engines that run cooler, oil that does not break down and in most cases improved fuel economy.

Why would anyone use Mobil 1 and support big oil companies that are driving YOUR fuel expenses thru the roof??????????:confused:

For those of you who are new to Lawnsite, I highly recommend reading what people are saying about Amsoil products. I have been very surprised by how many of you have signed up with me in the last month with a commercial account. People are beginning to see the benefits of Amsoil products and are putting them in trucks, mowers, toys (atvs, bikes) etc. Those of you who are in need of more info, please email or PM anytime. I WILL reply quickly. I am here to help you all save money and make money, just not in your traditional way........cheaper insurance, cheaper fertilizers, tell you how to bill your accounts, etc.

After all, Amsoil was the FIRST to develop a synthetic oil, not any of the big oil companies!!!!!
Here's a thought just plug the damn thing in if it is going to be cold cheap and easy on the motor I have never had to put any additives in other than antigel for the fuel on extremely cold nights

Landrus2
01-23-2008, 07:40 AM
Not so quick, oil is a big help but dont forget that diesel turns to jelly when the temperatures drop a lot:drinkup:

AceFinish
01-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Not so quick, oil is a big help but dont forget that diesel turns to jelly when the temperatures drop a lot:drinkup:
Yah you are right good point I totally agree but I think if you keep up on the oil changes and maintence you should not have a problem at least that is what I have found any way running diesels

Jpocket
01-23-2008, 08:38 AM

Thank you...that needed to be said.

J&R Landscaping
01-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Yah you are right good point I totally agree but I think if you keep up on the oil changes and maintence you should not have a problem at least that is what I have found any way running diesels

Keeping up on maintence and a lil power system anti gel goes a long way!

cutbetterthanyou
01-23-2008, 10:00 AM
I would watch changing it out on the 7.3 p stroke. When i first bought mine i change out my oil w/ mobil 1 and syn the truck wouldn't hardly run. The dealer and a few other people tell me it is because the oil. The syn is thinner which throughs the fuel pump off. Ford made there fuel pump to run off of the engines oil pressure. In 7.3s run ford motorsports or rotella shell oil. Because of the fuel pump you also can't run these trucks out of oil the fuel pump won't run when it gets down to low.

Littlehoe
01-23-2008, 10:26 AM
ok i heard that running synthetic oil in older high mileage engines may cause them to leak or leak more because of the oil being thinner or something like that. How true is that? And what oil would you recommend for a 90 cummins with 450 000 kms on the clock?

Ridin' Around
01-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I would watch changing it out on the 7.3 p stroke. When i first bought mine i change out my oil w/ mobil 1 and syn the truck wouldn't hardly run. The dealer and a few other people tell me it is because the oil. The syn is thinner which throughs the fuel pump off. Ford made there fuel pump to run off of the engines oil pressure. In 7.3s run ford motorsports or rotella shell oil. Because of the fuel pump you also can't run these trucks out of oil the fuel pump won't run when it gets down to low.

Your dealer and "a few other people" have filled your head with hot air. Have you been charged for it or is it a courtesy?:hammerhead: A fuel pump is mechanically driven off of the crank. It may have low oil pressure warning, but you need to do a little more research. Sounds like you needed a fuel filter. I will agree with you to stay away from Mobil1. Record oil profits and they keep raising fuel prices, :nono: Boo to BIG OIL.
The 7.3L powerstroke runs like a dream on Amsoil. I have a close friend who changed his completely to Amsoil fluids, tranny, engine, diffs and even put one of the EAO air filters. He picked up 2.9 something miles per gallon while pulling a trailer and his tranny temp dropped 50 degrees. He goes north and pulls trailers back from a manufacturer. No plugging in at the hotels in Northern Indiana & Mich overnight. Starts like summertime and runs like a top.

Ridin' Around
01-23-2008, 10:54 AM
ok i heard that running synthetic oil in older high mileage engines may cause them to leak or leak more because of the oil being thinner or something like that. How true is that? And what oil would you recommend for a 90 cummins with 450 000 kms on the clock?

This is an old "Wive's Tale". Decades ago when engines depended on lead and other additives the seals would sometimes be more prone to leaking with the use of synthetics. Oil and engines have advanced leaps and bounds since then. Seals have to stand up to things like Ethanol now. The other thing that happened was the oil companies have made the additive package in the oil actually very seal friendly. Some even claim to soften hard seals and make them regain some sealing power. Don't fear the synthetic oils, they can actually save money, when used in conjunction with an Extended Drain Interval Program. Ask Amsoil power for the details, He should get me on his payroll here. I am gonna need paid for this man!:laugh:
Seriously it just kills me to see untrue rumors flying when the use of an American made product :usflag: will greatly reduce our foreign oil usage. Extended drain intervals means less waste oil to deal with as well. We all have to live on this planet for a few more years. I am not a tree hugger by any means, but please look at the big picture here. Sorry- gettin down from my soap-box now.:walking: Thanks for listenin' to my rant!

cutbetterthanyou
01-23-2008, 11:19 AM
Your dealer and "a few other people" have filled your head with hot air. Have you been charged for it or is it a courtesy?:hammerhead: A fuel pump is mechanically driven off of the crank. It may have low oil pressure warning, but you need to do a little more research. Sounds like you needed a fuel filter. I will agree with you to stay away from Mobil1. Record oil profits and they keep raising fuel prices, :nono: Boo to BIG OIL.
The 7.3L powerstroke runs like a dream on Amsoil. I have a close friend who changed his completely to Amsoil fluids, tranny, engine, diffs and even put one of the EAO air filters. He picked up 2.9 something miles per gallon while pulling a trailer and his tranny temp dropped 50 degrees. He goes north and pulls trailers back from a manufacturer. No plugging in at the hotels in Northern Indiana & Mich overnight. Starts like summertime and runs like a top.

No i wasn't charged, I do all of that kind of maint. myself. The filter was what i thought as well, so that was what i change first before i ever called anyone. I don't know about the fuel pump as i am not a mechanic, but that is what i was told buy the dealership ,a deisel performance store ,and a guy that works on deisels for a living. I am not starting a aguement , amsoil may run fine i don't know i have never used it, but i know for a fact that mobil 1 syn made my truck run like crap. It idled so rough that it cut off in my driveway and when i took it down the road it wouldn't break 40 and all these problems were in the summer time so it wasn't weather related. An when i changed it bach to rotella it ran fine. It is just a word of caution to 7.3 owners thats all.

Fairway Land & Lawn
01-23-2008, 11:54 AM
The 7.3L powerstroke does have a mechanically driven fuel pump, but that fuel pump is not what provides injection pressure. There is a low pressure oil pump that feeds the motor (bearings, valvetrain, all that good stuff). Then, there is the high pressure oil pump. This high pressure oil pump is what the engine relies on. With no or insufficient oil pressure the truck will not run. The high pressure pump is what builds you injection pressure. No oil, no injection. It is possible that oil could make your truck run badly, but you have a check engine light that says "injection control pressure". This ICP code comes up when the motor is too low on oil, or the truck is programmed and the high pressure oil pump has reached its maximum flow rate..

Ridin' Around
01-23-2008, 12:27 PM
The 7.3L powerstroke does have a mechanically driven fuel pump, but that fuel pump is not what provides injection pressure. There is a low pressure oil pump that feeds the motor (bearings, valvetrain, all that good stuff). Then, there is the high pressure oil pump. This high pressure oil pump is what the engine relies on. With no or insufficient oil pressure the truck will not run. The high pressure pump is what builds you injection pressure. No oil, no injection. It is possible that oil could make your truck run badly, but you have a check engine light that says "injection control pressure". This ICP code comes up when the motor is too low on oil, or the truck is programmed and the high pressure oil pump has reached its maximum flow rate..

What a great site! We're all learning somethin today!!!:clapping:

kc2006
01-23-2008, 12:38 PM
This is an old "Wive's Tale". Decades ago when engines depended on lead and other additives the seals would sometimes be more prone to leaking with the use of synthetics. Oil and engines have advanced leaps and bounds since then. Seals have to stand up to things like Ethanol now. The other thing that happened was the oil companies have made the additive package in the oil actually very seal friendly. Some even claim to soften hard seals and make them regain some sealing power. Don't fear the synthetic oils, they can actually save money, when used in conjunction with an Extended Drain Interval Program. Ask Amsoil power for the details, He should get me on his payroll here. I am gonna need paid for this man!:laugh:
Seriously it just kills me to see untrue rumors flying when the use of an American made product :usflag: will greatly reduce our foreign oil usage. Extended drain intervals means less waste oil to deal with as well. We all have to live on this planet for a few more years. I am not a tree hugger by any means, but please look at the big picture here. Sorry- gettin down from my soap-box now.:walking: Thanks for listenin' to my rant!

It's not a wives tale. If your engine leaks alittle bit, changing to synthetic will make it leak alot worse. Been there done that. Synthetic is so slippery that it will make things leaks if they have the possibility of leaking already. Did it on my truck, did it on my 4 wheeler, did it on my race car. My truck had 240,000 miles when i switched so it had alot of miles and had just a "seep", didn't drip, but just had some oil seeping out, enough to see. switched and wam i had spots of oil on the drive. I switched back.

Synthetic is great if you have a new or newer vehicle and switch right away, yea then they're great and will indeed add to the life of that engine. And no doubt it does add a few horsepower and helps mileage. The only way i'd use synthetic is if I have a new or newer truck and have the oil analasis done every 5,000 miles, thats how to get the best bang for the buck from synthetic.

The other thing is, i wouldn't be saying theres no need to plug in the truck when using synthetic, thats BS. Again experience speaking, it did nothing for winter starting. My 7.3 cranks the same speed cold, plugged in, dyno or synthetic. It's oil, not a miracle.

vadeere
01-23-2008, 11:11 PM
It's oil, not a miracle.

My thoughts exactly. Not bashing but you can not claim a miracle from just oil. BTW amsoil what do yall get per gallon of a diesel oil I can run in cummins, duramax, deere diesels? I am currently paying $9 a gallon for rotella and I am old school in the respect my trucks and equipment get drained every 100hrs or 3000 miles, or close to it.

AmsoilPower
01-24-2008, 12:07 AM
I would not say it is a "miracle" either, but one less pain in the @ss you guys will have to worry about. That being whether your truck will start or not when it is zero outside in the morning. I do not see where any of the "warming devices" would need to be used when your truck has Amsoil in the crankcase, good functioning glow plugs and Amsoil Cold Flow Improver in the fuel. Sounds like a winning combination to me!!!!!:clapping:

Maybe this isn't a big issue with lco's but it did spur some good responses. I enjoy this site always welcome everyone's opinions. Keep them coming!!!!

Grass Happens
01-24-2008, 12:24 AM
3000 miles on a diesel?! yikes!!! save your self some money and have an oil analysis down at 2800 miles next time, and see what they recommend. You very well may just be waisting oil. Or are you just getting all kinds of soot in the oil???

AmsoilPower
01-24-2008, 12:41 AM
Here is a link to more info on the Cold Flow Improver I mentioned in an above post.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/acf.aspx

vadeere
01-24-2008, 12:59 AM
3000 miles on a diesel?! yikes!!! save your self some money and have an oil analysis down at 2800 miles next time, and see what they recommend. You very well may just be waisting oil. Or are you just getting all kinds of soot in the oil???

The oil coming out of my diesels is blacker than sh!t. So yeah its got a fair amount of soot in it. It doesn't matter new duramax or my oldest cummins has 223k miles, it all looks the same. That being said I change my oil religously. Any tips I do not know, I figure it's the nature of the beast.

Littlehoe
01-24-2008, 08:49 AM
The oil coming out of my diesels is blacker than sh!t. So yeah its got a fair amount of soot in it. It doesn't matter new duramax or my oldest cummins has 223k miles, it all looks the same. That being said I change my oil religously. Any tips I do not know, I figure it's the nature of the beast.

That could also have something to do with the oil. I used rotella for a while in my cummins but I found you could really smell it and like you say it turned black right away. I recently switched to Chevron DELO oil and there is no smell and it also has stayed a little cleaner over the long run. Just a thought.

kc2006
01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
I would not say it is a "miracle" either, but one less pain in the @ss you guys will have to worry about. That being whether your truck will start or not when it is zero outside in the morning. I do not see where any of the "warming devices" would need to be used when your truck has Amsoil in the crankcase, good functioning glow plugs and Amsoil Cold Flow Improver in the fuel. Sounds like a winning combination to me!!!!!:clapping:

Maybe this isn't a big issue with lco's but it did spur some good responses. I enjoy this site always welcome everyone's opinions. Keep them coming!!!!

Cold starts are a big issue for guys that plow, the other morning I almost didn't get out because my truck wouldnt start.

Here's an example to where oil isn't going to make that big of a difference. The other day, it was 5 degree's here, didn't plug my truck in and it didnt start. Ran the batteries dead. I hooked up my charger, cycled the glow plugs multiple times, it still took an hour to get it started. I know my glow plugs are good, checked them, has new glow plug relay, new starter that spins nice and fast, new glow plug harness, just went over all this prior to winter...and it still took that long. So, your telling me that by switching to a nice easier flowing oil that I would of been able to start right up the other day? Remember, it was still cranking just as fast because i had the charger hooked up.

Thats a good ol 7.3 for you :rolleyes: send me out an oil change and if it works i'll be a customer for life.

kc2006
01-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Here is a link to more info on the Cold Flow Improver I mentioned in an above post.

http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/acf.aspx

Your prices are alittle messed up in that study too. 3.2 oz of power service only costs $.57, not 99, unless your paying almost $30 for a bottle of it, when it sells for 16-18 normally. And unless I'm mistakin, your product is $.74 for the 2 oz

16oz product, 5.90 (plus shipping since I never see it around here), is .37 an oz.

96oz of PS at $17 is .18 an oz.

You guys should really change that to be a true comparison.

Ridin' Around
01-24-2008, 12:36 PM
Your prices are alittle messed up in that study too. 3.2 oz of power service only costs $.57, not 99, unless your paying almost $30 for a bottle of it, when it sells for 16-18 normally. And unless I'm mistakin, your product is $.74 for the 2 oz

16oz product, 5.90 (plus shipping since I never see it around here), is .37 an oz.

96oz of PS at $17 is .18 an oz.

You guys should really change that to be a true comparison.

The price for the Amsoil is based on commercial account pricing. $4.45 for a 16oz bottle. $0.28 per ounce. .56 for a two ounce treatment. If you guys aren't buying as a Commercial Account your not getting the best deals on Amsoil.
As for the PS, I'm not sure what it goes for here, I don't use it.

Ridin' Around
01-24-2008, 01:02 PM
My thoughts exactly. Not bashing but you can not claim a miracle from just oil. BTW amsoil what do yall get per gallon of a diesel oil I can run in cummins, duramax, deere diesels? I am currently paying $9 a gallon for rotella and I am old school in the respect my trucks and equipment get drained every 100hrs or 3000 miles, or close to it.

A comm. acct pays $19.05/ gallon for DEO premium 5w-40 (this works in new and older diesels) 4 gallon case price.
The price for AME 15w-40 (works in the pre emmision diesels only) is $18.15/ gallon in 4 gallon cases. If you can at least double your drain interval with synthetic, then the price is dead-on.
When you buy in bigger quanities (drums) the price gets better. That is how we have been buying oil for the past couple of years. If you are using 30 gallons+ of oil per season, why not?
How much oil do you guys use per year?
The only barrel I don't drain annually is my SAE30/10w-30 barrel. I can go to a regional warehouse and pick up barrels, saving myself shipping costs. We were in Chicago last week for the Mid-Am, didn't take much time to go over to the warehouse and grab some for the upcoming season!
For you guys that are draing on small intervals no matter what, why aren't you sampling and extending drain intervals. There is no reason to drain oil cause it looks funny or smells like diesel. Your just throwing money down the tube and causing more waste oil to be disposed of. Are you at least taking your oil to a recycling center or just dumpin' it over the neighbor's fence?

kc2006
01-24-2008, 01:23 PM
I bury mine, it's dyno oil, i'm putting it back where it came from.

J/k, i take it to a recycling center, i run my oil 5,000 miles and i get reports every other change.

MarcSmith
01-24-2008, 01:26 PM
actually MOTUL made the first ester based synthetic, in 71
All Proof in 70, with a polyester base
Amsoil was founded by Al Amatuzio in 1972 as a reseller of a diester-based 10W40.
mobil 1 in 74 with the PAO based synthetic...

So when are you going to start peddling products from your Altrum division....will multivitamins help us get going in the morning, and maybe the aquabrite filters will help keep our crews drinking water cleanl, and the Pure power cleaners to keep our uniforms clean.., and I guess we could buy some aggrand fertilizer as well....

I'm not a fan of the Multi level marketing though...but seems like a very diverse market for one company to be in...

so what products does amsoil actually produce on their own....and not just "rebrand/resell" someone else stuff? Kinda of like Sears and their "kenmore" brand...

It does seem "ironic" for an oil company (like mobil) to sell a synethic oil, but how about an "oil" company selling vitamins, water filters, laundry soaps......

Ridin' Around
01-24-2008, 01:33 PM
actually MOTUL made the first ester based synthetic, in 71
All Proof in 70, with a polyester base
Amsoil was founded by Al Amatuzio in 1972 as a reseller of a diester-based 10W40.
mobil 1 in 74 with the PAO based synthetic...

So when are you going to start peddling products from your Altrum division....will multivitamins help us get going in the morning, and maybe the aquabrite filters will help keep our crews drinking water cleanl, and the Pure power cleaners to keep our uniforms clean.., and I guess we could buy some aggrand fertilizer as well....

I'm not a fan of the Multi level marketing though...but seems like a very diverse market for one company to be in...

so what products does amsoil actually produce on their own....and not just "rebrand/resell" someone else stuff? Kinda of like Sears and their "kenmore" brand...

It does seem "ironic" for an oil company (like mobil) to sell a synethic oil, but how about an "oil" company selling vitamins, water filters, laundry soaps......

Seems like you know alot about the company are you a dealer?:dancing:

ZX12R
01-24-2008, 01:35 PM
"Cold starts are a big issue for guys that plow, the other morning I almost didn't get out because my truck wouldnt start.

Here's an example to where oil isn't going to make that big of a difference. The other day, it was 5 degree's here, didn't plug my truck in and it didnt start. Ran the batteries dead. I hooked up my charger, cycled the glow plugs multiple times, it still took an hour to get it started. I know my glow plugs are good, checked them, has new glow plug relay, new starter that spins nice and fast, new glow plug harness, just went over all this prior to winter...and it still took that long. So, your telling me that by switching to a nice easier flowing oil that I would of been able to start right up the other day? Remember, it was still cranking just as fast because i had the charger hooked up."

Same deal for me here too.I have the 7.3 too and if I do not plug it in on a cold day,forget about it .I would do exactly what you do.

On another note on Amsoil.I had dealer pricing about a year ago.With the cost of shipping,it just wasn't worth it for me.I could go to a local store and buy fully synthetic oil.

MarcSmith
01-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Seems like you know alot about the company are you a dealer?:dancing:no, but a few minutes of research can tell you a lot about a company....but the combination of Multi level marketing and such a huge diversty in products keeps me a bit wary.

Ridin' Around
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
no, but a few minutes of research can tell you a lot about a company....but the combination of Multi level marketing and such a huge diversty in products keeps me a bit wary.

Just checkin, seems like you took a shot at the Amsoil Power. Thought maybe he was pullin business from ya or somethin. Maybe I just read it wrong. Lots of companies have diversity and that doesn't bother me much. I don't have all of my eggs in one basket. Gotta always be lookin around the corner to see if it could get better!:laugh:

Eclipse
01-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I just took a moment to read this thread and I have a few comments.

Sure a syn. oil might be a little easier on the truck (I run it in mine), but it certainly does not replace the benefits of a block heater. Both are a great way to go in the extremely cold climates.

Synthetic oils can make a small seal leak worse or create a small leak where there was may not have been one before. It is not like your truck car will automatically start dripping synthetic all over the place but it is a possibility to generate a small leak after switching to synthetic. It seems to be most common on cars that have not been properly maintained and/or have higher mileage.

MarcSmith
01-24-2008, 05:04 PM
I don't have all of my eggs in one basket. Gotta always be lookin around the corner to see if it could get better!:laugh:I don't blame you....but personally I'm not going to purchase my oil products from someone selling multivitamins and dish detergents. Never had any problems with amsoil, but Ive never purchased form them either. I guess you can say I did "take a shot" at him....

but when he comes on the site saying "Ever wish your truck would start easier in the bitter cold? All you have to do is change the oil." BS...the synthetics do pour and pump easier, but in the 2-4 cranks it takes to get a properly tuned engine running it doesn't do crap. It's all about how quickly the oil gets to the places it needs to be once the engine is running.,

and then "After all, Amsoil was the FIRST to develop a synthetic oil, not any of the big oil companies!!!!!" Wrong, all amsoil did was purchase and resell and market a product developed by another company. Thats like saying Mcdonalds invented the cheese burger...

so right off the bat with these sensational claims, I feel like I'm watching an paid ad on TV at 6am on a saturday morning trying to sell me oxy-clean or orange power cleaner, or some magnetohydrodynamic fuel saver super carburetor.....

My guard is up....and will likely stay up....I'll stick to my $5 a qt mobil 1, napa filters and once a year oil changes. Let me finish by saying... I appreciate he's a sponsor, and its folks like him who help keep this site free.

LindblomRJ
01-24-2008, 05:57 PM
no, but a few minutes of research can tell you a lot about a company....but the combination of Multi level marketing and such a huge diversty in products keeps me a bit wary.

Same here.

I don't blame you....but personally I'm not going to purchase my oil products from someone selling multivitamins and dish detergents. Never had any problems with amsoil, but Ive never purchased form them either. I guess you can say I did "take a shot" at him....

but when he comes on the site saying "Ever wish your truck would start easier in the bitter cold? All you have to do is change the oil." BS...the synthetics do pour and pump easier, but in the 2-4 cranks it takes to get a properly tuned engine running it doesn't do crap. It's all about how quickly the oil gets to the places it needs to be once the engine is running.,

and then "After all, Amsoil was the FIRST to develop a synthetic oil, not any of the big oil companies!!!!!" Wrong, all amsoil did was purchase and resell and market a product developed by another company. Thats like saying Mcdonalds invented the cheese burger...

so right off the bat with these sensational claims, I feel like I'm watching an paid ad on TV at 6am on a saturday morning trying to sell me oxy-clean or orange power cleaner, or some magnetohydrodynamic fuel saver super carburetor.....

My guard is up....and will likely stay up....I'll stick to my $5 a qt mobil 1, napa filters and once a year oil changes. Let me finish by saying... I appreciate he's a sponsor, and its folks like him who help keep this site free.

I am not fixing what is not broke. An oil change will not fix good practices. Block heaters and glowplugs, or heated shops.

I have a hard time with some of the claims of Amsoil. The marketing scheme too.

cantoo
01-24-2008, 08:10 PM
I never really thought about it much before but I think there is some true and good in what he is saying. I haul my Ford compact tractor and my Steiner diesel to different jobsites and sometimes have to leave them there overnight or for longer periods of time. The change to synthetic might be just enough to make them easier to start. I have hauled my Steiner 50 miles before and after the wind chill the darn thing just would start on the trailer so I had to unhook the trailer move the truck around to boost it. Bit of a pain, the synthetic might have been enough to start it. Sometimes I use my old gaser Steiner just because I figure the diesel won't start. Gonna change it this weekend and see.

Eclipse
01-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Just an interesting fact but cold inanimate objects do not suffer from wind chill. Your battery might have suffered a little bit though.

cantoo
01-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Eclipse, you need to tell that to my tractor. When I pull it down the road on my trailer at 50 miles per hour and it's -10 c out it sure cools the engine and fuel down. I thought that was wind chill. If the wind chill is -30 C then I would think it would effect the fuel and oil temps. I know if I park my diesel truck in the wind and don't plug it in, it sure don't like to start real quick.

Eclipse
01-25-2008, 12:05 AM
I was just stating scientific info, not my persoanl opinion.

Wind Chill is a number created for humans only. It is a number of what is "feels like" to us. My truck (at rest) could care less how windy it is. If the truck was running and the temp was greater than ambient air temp then certainly the wind could have an affect on the temperature of the truck.

For another test put a pan of water outside on a windy day when the air temp is slightly above freezing. Even though the wind chill might be 20 degrees or even 5 degrees if it is windy enough, the water will not freeze as long as the air temp is above 32 degrees. It's just science.

vntgrcr
01-25-2008, 07:38 AM
If your Dodge won't start at +5F than you have a problem with your truck. I am about to go get in my 99, wait for the light to go out and in the +8 it is here, i will barely touch the key and it will start and purr. I only plug it in if I want to get heat a little faster than normal. Running 15/40 Valvoline, 88Kmiles. Get your truck checked. And I do think Amsoil is good, just not the miracle you are portraying it to be.

For general information. The Cummins Dodges use a grid heater rather than glow plugs, and shooting ether into the intake on one of those results in rather spectacular results when it explodes before it gets anywhere near the cylinder.

I'm not an Amsoil Kool-Aid drinker, but synthetic oil really does flow better at low temps than dino oil. Just for reference, (I'm aware it's not quite apples to oranges, but it's at least limes to oranges) my truck with 15/40 Dino in it, not plugged in, and + 5F, WILL NOT start. Won't do it. Not happening. 5/40 Syn (I know, it's a little thinner, but try and find 5/40 dino) and the truck starts at -20F. Same batteries, same truck, only difference is one week later between the dino and the syn. Just my personal (not Amsoil) experience. IMHO, synthetic oil is great to use in diesel engines in the northern part of the country.

PS: I haven't run a long term mileage test (consistent source of fuel, Nazi about tire pressure and load, etc etc) but it seems like my truck gets about 1 mpg better with syn than with dino.

My ride:

04.5 Dodge Ram 2500
5.9 Cummins (the one with the cat)
4wd
NV5600 6 spd. manual tranny
3.73 gear ratio
265/70/17LT tires (Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo right now)

MarcSmith
01-25-2008, 07:38 AM
if the engine is warm. the wind will strip away the heat faster, but it will not cool anything below the current temp. If any thing wind help stir up the air and keeping things warmer by mixing the various boundry layers of air. but on the windless nights is when you get some of the hardest freezes on plant material.

naughty62
01-25-2008, 09:21 AM
Just pay the extra 60 cents for # 1 and plug in the block heater.Years ago a neighbor down the alley scattered several jugs of syn amsoil up and down the alley.all but two 2 gall jugs were run over .Him and his wife sold amway out the stationary stores and garage.He gave us two jugs . $ 12
a quart was a lot money for oil .Synthetic oil ,what the hell!! .We did a spoon test with a torch ,tried set it on fire .We mixed it with dino and ran it in beaters. Man that stuff poured out nice in very cold weather and made cold starts much easier.I still will not run straight syn. oil .but a quart or two of para syn or 100% syn in the crank case does not bother me.Change comes hard and slow especially when it involves high dollar diesel engines.

Eclipse
01-25-2008, 09:27 AM
If your Dodge won't start at +5F than you have a problem with your truck.

I agree, these trucks start great in cold weather and while not a synthetic pusher I undoubtly think it is easier on the engine to cold start with synthetic vs. dino oil.

Next time on a cold start, in the cold, watch how long it takes for your oil pressure gauge to read oil pressure. This time is greatly reduced with a synthetic oil.

Ridin' Around
01-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Just pay the extra 60 cents for # 1 and plug in the block heater.Years ago a neighbor down the alley scattered several jugs of syn amsoil up and down the alley.all but two 2 gall jugs were run over .Him and his wife sold amway out the stationary stores and garage.He gave us two jugs . $ 12
a quart was a lot money for oil .Synthetic oil ,what the hell!! .We did a spoon test with a torch ,tried set it on fire .We mixed it with dino and ran it in beaters. Man that stuff poured out nice in very cold weather and made cold starts much easier.I still will not run straight syn. oil .but a quart or two of para syn or 100% syn in the crank case does not bother me.Change comes hard and slow especially when it involves high dollar diesel engines.

HUH?:confused: Amway is not Amsoil, what do spoons and beaters have to do with diesels. It' oil- put it in your truck, DON'T cook with it!:nono::dizzy:

kc2006
01-25-2008, 11:28 AM
HUH?:confused: Amway is not Amsoil, what do spoons and beaters have to do with diesels. It' oil- put it in your truck, DON'T cook with it!:nono::dizzy:

Heating oil in a spoon is an old school way of seeing how long/hot oil needs to get to start crackling or break down.

Alot of old very knowledgable engine guru's used to do it. It makes sense.

kc2006
01-25-2008, 11:31 AM
and for the record, if the dealer would of simply posted that synthetic will help diesels start easier in the first post, i think most of the posts wouldn't have been here. I (and apparently alot of others) hate when a dealer or rep comes out swinging with crazy claims for their product. Tell the truth and you'll sell more, we don't want to hear big crazy "as sold on tv" hype for a product.

Eclipse
01-25-2008, 11:43 AM
Also if you want to talk about the ability of an oil to flow in the cold, pour point is not the most accurate number to use to discuss this IMO. However it is probably the easiest number for the general pubic to understand.

AmsoilPower
01-25-2008, 12:03 PM
Everyone needs to look at the very first statement of my original post. The word that really matters is "easier". It means just that.:hammerhead: Never was the thread meant to sound as a "fix all or cure", but a major component for "easier" starting. Therefore, this is not a sensational claim. I think most everyone agrees that it helps make starting "easier", right?

Never did I say to throw away blockheaters, glow plugs or even your can of ether if that is what you use.

kc2006
01-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Short of keeping the coolant warm, yes it can replace block heaters and heater grids. I don't know of anyone around here who uses Amsoil and "plugs in the truck at night".

uh..........

AmsoilPower
01-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Well..... around here that seems to be the case. Everyone I know around here has told me they don't need block heaters that uses Amsoil. I realize I am speaking to the whole nation here and should clarify myself (regionally) better next time.

Ridin' Around
01-25-2008, 12:36 PM
:nono:wow... well I guess everyone's need are gonna vary based on where they live. AP you need to pull your pants back up on this one!:rolleyes:
I think most guys understood the easier thing though!

kc2006
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Like I said, it just seemed like your coming on here throwing these claims that were making the product out to be the wonder oil. I don't know if you realized it or not, but you did.

Synthetic oil is superior, we all know that, it's all i'll run in my race cars, but to say that theres no need to use heaters in a diesel with it, is far fetched. To me and apparently to others you seemed like that guy on tv that yells at you about oxy clean and all that stuff and how it's amazing.

Post number 3 should of said "No it doesn't replace block heaters but it makes it easier to start in cold weather or reduces the stress of starting in cold weather" I wouldn't of said one thing then.

I've never been a fan of amsoils marketing, I've seen dealers/reps do the same thing you did on other sites, so it almost makes me wonder if amsoil pushes you guys to make these crazy claims. People trying to push their product with silly claims just gets old. Sorry.

AmsoilPower
01-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Like I said, it just seemed like your coming on here throwing these claims that were making the product out to be the wonder oil. I don't know if you realized it or not, but you did.

Synthetic oil is superior, we all know that, it's all i'll run in my race cars, but to say that theres no need to use heaters in a diesel with it, is far fetched. To me and apparently to others you seemed like that guy on tv that yells at you about oxy clean and all that stuff and how it's amazing.

Post number 3 should of said "No it doesn't replace block heaters but it makes it easier to start in cold weather or reduces the stress of starting in cold weather" I wouldn't of said one thing then.

I've never been a fan of amsoils marketing, I've seen dealers/reps do the same thing you did on other sites, so it almost makes me wonder if amsoil pushes you guys to make these crazy claims. People trying to push their product with silly claims just gets old. Sorry.

I fully respect your opinions and appreciate your knowledge. Honestly, Amsoil does not push or make us say anything for selling purposes.It is all how the dealer approaches the selling end of it. I do not like "pushy" salesman. I am sorry if I came off that way to some of you, that was not my intent at all. I do not have any quotas to meet monthly or anything like that. I do enjoy this site and "debating" with all of you the pros and cons of whatever is being discussed. I try to stick w/ the facts I know. Love me or hate me, I plan on being around for a while.:waving:

kc2006
01-25-2008, 01:23 PM
I dont hate you, I just strongly dislike you...lol j/k.

LindblomRJ
01-25-2008, 02:54 PM
I dont hate you, I just strongly dislike you...lol j/k.

I find the inconsistencies disturbing. It seems you will say anything to sell a product.

mag360
01-25-2008, 03:29 PM
"Cold starts are a big issue for guys that plow, the other morning I almost didn't get out because my truck wouldnt start.

Here's an example to where oil isn't going to make that big of a difference. The other day, it was 5 degree's here, didn't plug my truck in and it didnt start. Ran the batteries dead. I hooked up my charger, cycled the glow plugs multiple times, it still took an hour to get it started. I know my glow plugs are good, checked them, has new glow plug relay, new starter that spins nice and fast, new glow plug harness, just went over all this prior to winter...and it still took that long. So, your telling me that by switching to a nice easier flowing oil that I would of been able to start right up the other day? Remember, it was still cranking just as fast because i had the charger hooked up."

Same deal for me here too.I have the 7.3 too and if I do not plug it in on a cold day,forget about it .I would do exactly what you do.

On another note on Amsoil.I had dealer pricing about a year ago.With the cost of shipping,it just wasn't worth it for me.I could go to a local store and buy fully synthetic oil.

I'd replace those glowplugs again and replace those batteries/cables. If all the plugs light and the motor is turning over fast enough your truck will start right up. (Synth would probably help a little.) Good luck with it.

Buckeye Lawncare
01-25-2008, 05:58 PM
If your Dodge won't start at +5F than you have a problem with your truck. I am about to go get in my 99, wait for the light to go out and in the +8 it is here, i will barely touch the key and it will start and purr. I only plug it in if I want to get heat a little faster than normal. Running 15/40 Valvoline, 88Kmiles. Get your truck checked. And I do think Amsoil is good, just not the miracle you are portraying it to be.

It was -10 F here this morning, without the windchill. I have a 99 Cummins (105,000) and my brother has a 97 Powerstroke (160,000). Neither truck was plugged in, they both started. They ran a little rough for the first couple minutes but after that they were just fine. We both run Rotella 15w 40 in our trucks.

CleanCutProLawn
01-25-2008, 06:45 PM
Switching to syn oil will also help with the 'romps' with the powerstrokes. Personally I run Rotella 5w-40 and on wednesday morning it was -17*F and without being plugged in my 01 7.3 started, not perfectly but it started. Also the fuel pump on a 7.3 is electric, want proof take the cover off of the fuel pump and turn the key to the on position and watch the fuel level. Another point on a powerstroke is when it is cold enough the glow plugs will stay on for up to two minutes, need proof watch the lights in your truck after you start it, depending on how cold it is you will see them get brighter after the GP turn off. Cycling the glow plugs do nothing but put unneeded stress on your GP relay. What i do when it is really cold out is turn the key on in the truck so the GP kick on then i either unplug the heater if i remembered to plug it in the night before or if its not plugged in i will count to 60 to 80 seconds then start it up, it has never failed me. And just remember that if your powerstroke doesn't have enough battery power to crank the engine 200 rpms or faster it won't start. Just some more tidbit info if anyone cared.

CleanCutProLawn
01-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Oh ya, the powerstroke also had a grid or Air Intake Heater but it only runs if all the parameters are present here they are:

ambient temperature must be below 0C (32F)
Engine Oil Temperature (EOT) must be below 55C (131F)
Vehicle Power (IVPWR) must be between 11.8 and 15.0 volts
parking brake must be applied on manual transmission vehicles
the transmission must be in PARK or NEUTRAL on automatic transmission vehicles
glow plugs must be off
fast idle must be engaged by pcm

now once you touch the brake pedal to shift gears the AIH disengages and will not engage again until the truck has been shut off and restarted and parameters met.

02DURAMAX
01-25-2008, 07:28 PM

I would NEVER EVER NOT plug in my truck in the winter...and im sure your oil wont make that Difference you claim....Mobil 1 is all i use on everything....and it does not matter if you you say your oil can go 7500-25k miles because i change my oil evey 3-4K miles!...and plus the cab is alot warmer faster when you plug it in:usflag:

Ridin' Around
01-26-2008, 09:51 AM
I would NEVER EVER NOT plug in my truck in the winter...and im sure your oil wont make that Difference you claim....Mobil 1 is all i use on everything....and it does not matter if you you say your oil can go 7500-25k miles because i change my oil evey 3-4K miles!...and plus the cab is alot warmer faster when you plug it in:usflag:

Aren't the open minded people on this forum refreshing?

How about all of the waste oil that you are creating for no reason?:hammerhead:
Use Amsoil or Fuel Mobil's Record Foreign Oil prices, I don't care, but please read up on extended drain intervals and sampling. You are throwing $$ down the tube!

LindblomRJ
01-26-2008, 07:26 PM

How about all of the waste oil that you are creating for no reason?:hammerhead:
Use Amsoil or Fuel Mobil's Record Foreign Oil prices, I don't care, but please read up on extended drain intervals and sampling. You are throwing $$ down the tube!

Who published this report?

An inch of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

cantoo
01-26-2008, 11:44 PM
I agree with the forward thinkers on here.
I'm on the Pill just in case and I get myself tested for breast cancer every couple of months just in case.
I change the oil in my diesel truck once a year no matter what. I've put around 100,000 kms on my Chev diesel and have done nothing but a rebuilt transmission and an alternator on it. The truck was owned by a municipality before I got it and has over 400,000kms on it now I think. Someone do the math for me, how much would I have paid in oil changes and filter changes for 400,000kms. Let's see 400,000kms divide by 5000 kms each change would be 80 changes, oil filter every other one so 40 filters. = lots of money maybe $2000, does that mean I saved the money or what?

LindblomRJ
01-27-2008, 12:09 AM
I agree with the forward thinkers on here.
I'm on the Pill just in case and I get myself tested for breast cancer every couple of months just in case.
I change the oil in my diesel truck once a year no matter what. I've put around 100,000 kms on my Chev diesel and have done nothing but a rebuilt transmission and an alternator on it. The truck was owned by a municipality before I got it and has over 400,000kms on it now I think. Someone do the math for me, how much would I have paid in oil changes and filter changes for 400,000kms. Let's see 400,000kms divide by 5000 kms each change would be 80 changes, oil filter every other one so 40 filters. = lots of money maybe $2000, does that mean I saved the money or what?

In some applications the extened change intervals might be ok. The 25K that Amsoil claims seems to be a stretch.

There is no I would base the decision solely on a oil salesmans claims. I think I would first see what the equipment or vehicle dealer would say. On the chance that something would break and a issue of warenty would come up I could see change intervals being a sticking point.

cantoo
01-27-2008, 12:22 AM
I very very seldom buy anything new so warranty isn't a concern. 25,000 seems like a long way between changes but 3000 to 5000 don't seem like much. When I worked in Michigan I would put 2000kms on a week no problem, would I change my oil every 2 weeks? No way. On my Chevy gaser the oil looks like brand new with 10,000 to 12,500kms oil changes. Maybe I'm just lucky it sure ain't skill.

AmsoilPower
01-27-2008, 12:50 AM
There is no I would base the decision solely on a oil salesmans claims. I think I would first see what the equipment or vehicle dealer would say. On the chance that something would break and a issue of warenty would come up I could see change intervals being a sticking point.

For your reading pleasure click the link below.

http://www.amsoil.com/dealer/magnuson_moss.aspx

LindblomRJ
01-27-2008, 01:04 AM
I very very seldom buy anything new so warranty isn't a concern. 25,000 seems like a long way between changes but 3000 to 5000 don't seem like much. When I worked in Michigan I would put 2000kms on a week no problem, would I change my oil every 2 weeks? No way. On my Chevy gaser the oil looks like brand new with 10,000 to 12,500kms oil changes. Maybe I'm just lucky it sure ain't skill.

I have gone over the 3K a few times on my chevrolet gasser, the oil still looks clean to the eye. I guess age or warranty it should not matter when it comes to taking care of equipment.

The link that Amsoil provided take me to a dealer log in.

AmsoilPower
01-27-2008, 01:27 AM
The link that Amsoil provided take me to a dealer log in.

Sorry....try this one. Hopefully it works!!! Trying to figure out how to attach files.

LindblomRJ
01-27-2008, 01:30 AM
Sorry....try this one. Hopefully it works!!! Trying to figure out how to attach files.

Ok. Will peruse these.

On page 2 of thw Amsoil Warranty. Amsoil will reject your claim for failure to follow OEM's recomendation for fluid change intervals.

Ridin' Around
01-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Ok. Will peruse these.

On page 2 of thw Amsoil Warranty. Amsoil will reject your claim for failure to follow OEM's recomendation for fluid change intervals.

There is more to that sentence. Please quote completely or do not quote documents. This makes you look bad, IMO.:nono: The sentence reads as follows:

"Failure to follow all OEM recommendations for warranty coverage, including lubricants, maintenance, and drain intervals, prior to the first installation of Amsoil lubricants." -Amsoil's warranty policy.

This basically says you can't take a neglected machine and fill it with Amsoil lubricants, then expect them to cover a failure. This seems pretty reasonable to me.
If you guys would do a little research you would see that OTR trucks are running extended drains up to 100,000 miles or more. I understand that they are running larger capacity by-pass filters, but an oil sample is the only way to understand what is happening with your oil. No smelling, no looking, no guessing.
If 25,000 miles seems like a lot, go 'till you feel comforatble, say 10-12,000, do the sample, then see what they say and then make an educated decision. All I'm saying is that just because you have been doing something for years doesn't mean new technology won't come along with a better way to do something. Be open minded.

I'm not sellin you Amsoil. I'm trying to tell you how I'm saving money, and helping reduce waste oil and foriegn oil demand. I started using the oil in my pulling engines. It does provide superior protection, versus other synthetics. I used to run redline and FHS racing oils. They did not take care of our pulling blocks like the Amsoil does. After 10-12 pulls all motors all pulled apart, since using Amsoil we are doing much less machine work before rebuilding. Sometimes the hone marks remain from the last tear-down and we just stick'em back together. Just my .02 on this.

kc2006
01-27-2008, 03:34 PM
lmao, if you think amsoil is going to replace anything your sadly mistaken. An oil company is going to find something to not stand up to that warrenty. They'll say well you didnt keep up with other maintenance, or it's the manufacturers fault (meaning the auto companies fault).

No hard feelings to amsoil, but it's the truth. No oil company would ever stand up to a claim like that. Ask amsoil how many claims they've awarded, I doubt it's any, and it's not because their product is just that awesome.

John Gamba
01-27-2008, 03:48 PM
Someone explain to me how oil is going to give back the CCA's your battery loses when the weather turns cold?

The engine turnes over alot easier with the syn in it.

LindblomRJ
01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
This basically says you can't take a neglected machine and fill it with Amsoil lubricants, then expect them to cover a failure. This seems pretty reasonable to me.

If you guys would do a little research you would see that OTR trucks are running extended drains up to 100,000 miles or more. I understand that they are running larger capacity by-pass filters, but an oil sample is the only way to understand what is happening with your oil. No smelling, no looking, no guessing.
If 25,000 miles seems like a lot, go 'till you feel comforatble, say 10-12,000, do the sample, then see what they say and then make an educated decision. All I'm saying is that just because you have been doing something for years doesn't mean new technology won't come along with a better way to do something. Be open minded.

I'm not sellin you Amsoil. I'm trying to tell you how I'm saving money, and helping reduce waste oil and foriegn oil demand. I started using the oil in my pulling engines. It does provide superior protection, versus other synthetics. I used to run redline and FHS racing oils. They did not take care of our pulling blocks like the Amsoil does. After 10-12 pulls all motors all pulled apart, since using Amsoil we are doing much less machine work before rebuilding. Sometimes the hone marks remain from the last tear-down and we just stick'em back together. Just my .02 on this.

Any OTR guys around here? I highly doubt anyone is going 100,000K on a engine oil change.

It sure seems you are on the Amsoil bandwagon.

I am not going to fix what is not broke.

You want to go 25K on a oil change, go right ahead. I know I won't. If resale is an issue and I see you went 25K and even 10 to 12 K I think I would look elsewhere for a vehicle.

The whole warranty issue I could honestly see someone following Amsoils guidlines and the engine fails. you provide them you maintenance records that were within the guildines of the advertising but beyond OEM's specifications (Amsoil) not honoring their warranty.

John Gamba
01-27-2008, 05:12 PM
You want to go 25K on a oil change, go right ahead. I know I won't. If resale is an issue and I see you went 25K and even 10 to 12 K I think I would look elsewhere for a vehicle.

My old dealer sells Redline oil. he goes 12,000 on his diesel.

LindblomRJ
01-27-2008, 05:18 PM
My old dealer sells Redline oil. he goes 12,000 on his diesel.

I guess I would more inclined to follow OEM specs. I must be old fashioned or something.

John Gamba
01-27-2008, 05:30 PM
I guess I would more inclined to follow OEM specs. I must be old fashioned or something.

Ryan
Im old fashion too. I would change the oil every 2,000 miles. I would use 1040 spring and fall,1030 in winter and heavy oil in summer.My 2005 chevy and my 2008 chevy you change the oil when the car tells you. It will even Email you when its time. Its done now with the engine temp and engine revolutions.I did a mileage thing with the 05 and it was about 5,000 miles. i do use Mobil one and i like that oil in cold starts. It really flows well in the very cold days of winter.

LindblomRJ
01-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Ryan
Im old fashion too. I would change the oil every 2,000 miles. I would use 1040 spring and fall,1030 in winter and heavy oil in summer.My 2005 chevy and my 2008 chevy you change the oil when the car tells you. It will even Email you when its time. Its done now with the engine temp and engine revolutions.I did a mileage thing with the 05 and it was about 5,000 miles. i do use Mobil one and i like that oil in cold starts. It really flows well in the very cold days of winter.

You have the gassers or Duramax? I think Moble one would be the way I would go if I make the switch to sythetic I would more than likely use Moble 1. I am also a fan of Shells's Rotella in diesels.

John Gamba
01-27-2008, 05:50 PM
You have the gassers or Duramax? I think Moble one would be the way I would go if I make the switch to sythetic I would more than likely use Moble 1. I am also a fan of Shells's Rotella in diesels.

Theses are cars. No diesels:cry: Tooooooo Cold where i am.

LindblomRJ
01-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Theses are cars. No diesels:cry: Tooooooo Cold where i am.

Oh come now. I grew up around all sorts of diesels. Blends, Powerservice and couple of times when its gelled up. The car, pickups and mowers are gas powered.

John Gamba
01-27-2008, 06:11 PM
Oh come now. I grew up around all sorts of diesels. Blends, Powerservice and couple of times when its gelled up. The car, pickups and mowers are gas powered.

Wheres the bottle of Silo:laugh: I have a hot tub and a Pellet stove plugged in, no need to plug a diesel in.

44DCNF
01-27-2008, 06:28 PM

That's hilarious. Yogi is in the house. Inch is to foot/yard/mile, as _____ is to pound.

lmao, if you think amsoil is going to replace anything your sadly mistaken. An oil company is going to find something to not stand up to that warrenty. Did Mobil do that?They'll say well you didnt keep up with other maintenance, or it's the manufacturers fault (meaning the auto companies fault). Again, did Mobil get away with that?
No hard feelings to amsoil, but it's the truth. No oil company would ever stand up to a claim like that. Ask amsoil how many claims they've awarded, I doubt it's any, and it's not because their product is just that awesome.
Instead, you should ask Mobil how many engines they had to warranty, or caused to fail, when they brought one of their early attempts at synthetics to market before it was proven technology. I sincerely doubt they will be as forthright with you as Amsoil is about their reasons for not choosing to purchase API certification.

Any OTR guys around here? I highly doubt anyone is going 100,000K on a engine oil change.

There are ways.Here you go (http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/409000.aspx)
You were ignorant to the facts, so you are excused.

I think it's a shame, that so many that are ignorant and are forming an opinion based on prejudice (possibly against MLM's, as there is certainly enough data out there to prove Amsoil is better than most and does not make false claims), would continue to allow themselves to be seen is such light in a public forum. If they spent more time reading up on things they would not appear such fools when arguing against something they really know little about.

cantoo
01-27-2008, 06:36 PM
44DCNF, I was quoting him I know it's an ounce.
Don't lump me in with the naysayers. I am stupid enough to try anything once.

44DCNF
01-27-2008, 07:13 PM
44DCNF, I was quoting him I know it's an ounce.
Don't lump me in with the naysayers. I am stupid enough to try anything once.

My apologies Cantoo, and I didn't mean any one individual in particular on the final comment, thus the line of seperation. I have just read a lot of foolish statements in this thread that don't hold water.
I did get a good laugh out of the inch comment though, kind of like saying something is pitch white; similar to a yogiism.

LindblomRJ
01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
There are ways.Here you go (http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/409000.aspx)
You were ignorant to the facts, so you are excused.

I think it's a shame, that so many that are ignorant and are forming an opinion based on prejudice (possibly against MLM's, as there is certainly enough data out there to prove Amsoil is better than most and does not make false claims), would continue to allow themselves to be seen is such light in a public forum. If they spent more time reading up on things they would not appear such fools when arguing against something they really know little about.

The only one making the claims are Amsoil. Nothing independant. I hardly call that ignorant. Show me some independant findings.

Ridin' Around
01-27-2008, 10:59 PM

:hammerhead:

wow, you guys are really stuck here, good luck!

Ridin' Around
01-27-2008, 11:16 PM
The only one making the claims are Amsoil. Nothing independant. I hardly call that ignorant. Show me some independant findings.

I'm independent, Nobody is paying me anything to use Amsoil. Infact, it all comes out of my pocket. If it didn't perform for me I would have kept looking for something else.
If you need to get on the "bandwagon" let me know, I will hook you up with my dealer. You can stay a closet user and no one on here will find out!:laugh:

LindblomRJ
01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
I'm independent, Nobody is paying me anything to use Amsoil. Infact, it all comes out of my pocket. If it didn't perform for me I would have kept looking for something else.
If you need to get on the "bandwagon" let me know, I will hook you up with my dealer. You can stay a closet user and no one on here will find out!:laugh:

Nope. Don't think that will happen.

A personal testimony from someone who is "independent" does not suffice. For everyone who says Amsoil is the greatest thing there will be just as many who say Mobile 1 is the best. And the third person will claim the Royal Purple is the best. (same thing with pickups, mowers, tractors, hand held equipment.) Any studies anything from any lab test, and independent lab would be just fine... See I would like a bit more substance, more than what can be garnered from a testimony.

Amsoil puts up a lot of information. Nothing has be done outside of Amsoil to verify the claims. At least that the searches I have done.

First of all I don't advertise anything for free. That is the reason the dealer sticker comes off my vehicles and equipment.

AmsoilPower
01-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Nope. Don't think that will happen.

A personal testimony from someone who is "independent" does not suffice. For everyone who says Amsoil is the greatest thing there will be just as many who say Mobile 1 is the best. And the third person will claim the Royal Purple is the best. (same thing with pickups, mowers, tractors, hand held equipment.) Any studies anything from any lab test, and independent lab would be just fine... See I would like a bit more substance, more than what can be garnered from a testimony.

Amsoil puts up a lot of information. Nothing has be done outside of Amsoil to verify the claims. At least that the searches I have done.

First of all I don't advertise anything for free. That is the reason the dealer sticker comes off my vehicles and equipment.

Here is something for you. Is this what you may be looking for?

LindblomRJ
01-28-2008, 12:23 AM
Here is something for you. Is this what you may be looking for?

Yes that is a big help. Thank you.