PDA

View Full Version : Removing trailer paint

charmill26
01-23-2008, 01:46 PM
Im repainting my trailer and was wondering if anyone had any tips on getting off the old paint. I dont expect it to be easy but im using a grinder type thing and it is taking quite a while. thanks

man of stihl
01-23-2008, 02:05 PM
i used a grinder with a flap wheel. and a grinder with a wire wheel on it. takes a while but it gets the job done. you could always sand blast it

GravelyGuy
01-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Sandblaster

Landrus2
01-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Sand blasting would be a good start:drinkup:

charmill26
01-23-2008, 03:10 PM
yeah the sand blaster sounded like the best bet but i have one question. Where do you get dry sand from? i know this sounds stupid but i have a blaster but the sand it always too wet to use it. and it never seems to dry

GravelyNut
01-23-2008, 03:40 PM
yeah the sand blaster sounded like the best bet but i have one question. Where do you get dry sand from? i know this sounds stupid but i have a blaster but the sand it always too wet to use it. and it never seems to dry
Sand blast sand that is wet may not be the right type of sand for the job. Silica sand is what you want and it drys out even if it has been rained on. Wear a resperator when using it. Or if it is a steel trailer, use slag.

zappalawn
01-23-2008, 08:17 PM
i just use play sand works good. little parts i use glass beads

GravelyGuy
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM

Regular sand does not work like the silica stuff. I got mine form a local farm store. Use your blaster over a tarp and you can reuse the stuff.

Swampy
01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Most quarry's would carry it, well at least here they do.

atv220chris
02-04-2008, 10:21 PM
i have used a sanding wheel on the end of a drill it works better than a grinder and only takes off the paint

stroker51
02-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Sandblaster is the only way. I get my sand at Ace Hardware. They usually have like 3 different choices of blasting sand, I think the medium grade is what i usually use.

topsites
02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Never mind, made a mistake [post edit]

Jason Rose
02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Don't even bother with a layered sanding disk for a grinder for paint removal. They "load up" with paint very fast and then they are useless. Wire wheels work ok, but only if the paint is already very loose and peeling off. If you still want to use the grinder go to Home Depot and look for a stripper disk. It's blue and looks like a blown up version of scotch-brite, but it's very hard. It's made to remove paint off of metal and dosn't load up like sand paper. Wouldn't get into the tight corners but it breezes through the flat surfaces.

I looked online for a picture of one, but even Nortons website dosn't show pictures of their products, and home depot online is dumb as heck. (tried searching for sanding disk and it came up with camcorders and hard drives. since when did they sell either???