PDA

View Full Version : Athletic field work

forestfireguy
01-23-2008, 03:34 PM
We have an oppurtunity to bid some work for a local school district that we provide other services to. They are asking to have a soccer field top dressed and re seeded and some ruts taken care of, the field is used by both the school (for phys ed) and the town ( for rec programs). The field is not irrigated. They would like to have it ready for play in april as the soccer field is the outfield for a softball filed and a baseball field. I am leary to seed in early march, I am not so sure winter will be out early enough and the field may be pressed into use before it should be. I asked about waiting until summer but they run the town rec programs there during the summer and have mens softball also and the staff is a minimun so it would not get watered. There really is no downtime for this field. Another phase of this project is rejuvinating the infields of both the softball and baseball fields. I am not really sure the best way to do this, the baseball field is not too bad, the softball filed has not been well maintained and the turf has encroached about 40 percent of the infield. I am thinking it might just be best to tear it all out and lay in new infield mix. Also what is the best method to prevent this encroachment again? is there a barrier of some kind??

packey
02-03-2008, 10:44 AM
get you a sod cutter and cut off the encroaching sod. You can reuse this sod else where. depending on how bad the infield is you might want to then just till it underand re level it. You will probably find you need to add a little more sand or clay depneding drainage of the soil. once you get it re leveled add a top dressing like turface to it. as far a encrochment I would take your stick edger and edge it every other week. This should give you a nice clean edge and keep yu from having the problem with encrochment of grass.

Groundspro
02-07-2008, 06:34 PM
Whoa! Watch out on this bid. No down time for these fields? Whats your plan when Mother Nature or the local teams wreak havoc on the fields your trying to renovate?

Be very careful and make sure you have contingencies in your bid.

Every field, no matter what, needs a break and some tlc from time to time.

I'm in PA near the Deleware River. What part of Nj are you in?

Try this guy if you want some truly professional help.

http://www.alpineservices.com/about/history.htm

If he is to pricey ( But man is he good!!!!) then email me and I would be happy to give you other tips.

Good luck!