PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Verse Ford & 1/2 Ton Verse 3/4 Ton

JeremySkrocki
10-27-2001, 07:45 PM
I am looking to buy an Extended Cab truck for my new lawn care company. Are there any advantage of Ford over Dodge or vice-versa?:confused:
Is there any need to have the payload and towing capacity of a 3/4 ton pick-up or will a 1/2 ton suffice?

Looking at future, if I had 2 54" ZTR's, 1 48" Walk-Behind, 1 21" Mower, 2 trimmers, 2 edgers, and 2 blowers what would I need for towing?

Guido
10-27-2001, 07:52 PM
is better and my dad can beat up your dad!

Its all opinion and all your going to get as response to Ford vs. Dodge is guys like me who like what they like because its worked for them.

A X brand truck may give you 500,000 miles with no problems, but I may have a brand X truck that I can't get out of the driveway every morning without a mechanic present!

You have to judge for yourself and what your comfortable with. Go check the trucks out, you'll know what you want (when the little voice in your head says "F-O-R-D" !!) ;)

As far as the size, a 3/4 ton or more (more being the key word) would be what you need for your expansion plan.

Hope this helps!

Randy J
10-27-2001, 08:49 PM
I like Dodge personally. I would definately recommend 3/4 ton though. Although you can pretty much get the same engines in a 1/2 ton, except for diesel & V10's, the 3/4 ton's will have heavier suspension, bigger better brakes, and therefore more towing capacity. You can never have too much brakes, suspension and towing capacity!

Mowingman
10-27-2001, 10:34 PM
You really need to go 3/4 ton to pull a good size trailer loaded with equipment.
I have a Dodge with the Cummins diesel and really like it. I have run Ford diesels and liked the power, but was disappointed with the reliability of the Powerstroke engine. Had 2 that needed engine overhauls before they reached 150,000 miles.
Don't overlook the new Chevy diesels. Isusu builds them and they make some of the most reliable diesels on the market.:)

m&m
10-29-2001, 08:44 PM
3/4 ton or bigger( only difference in 3/4 and 1 ton is one leaf spring) as far as which one, i always had chevies and a ford. both have done me good.i cant preach on dodge because i drove a friends dodge pulling what my truck was orignally bought to pull. dodge didnt impress me then but as far as lawncare,dodge should be o.k

John DiMartino
10-29-2001, 09:47 PM
If your going to pull a lot,the Dodge 2500 Cummins HO/6 speed is the best pulling powertrain on the market right now,IMO.The HO is rated at 245hp/505 ft lbs,but Ive seen a few dyno at over 635 ft lbs at the wheel,bone stock,and about 230hp too.For towing,torque rules.In all hosesty a PSD,Cummins or Duramax will all work great.A 1500 is more like a car with a bed IMO,the brakes,and axles are right off the ful size rear drive cars of the sixtys,and seventys.