PDA

View Full Version : Rotating Lasers

Fieldman12
01-23-2008, 06:07 PM
I have been around these some but never gave it much thought since I have been doing it the old string and stake way. Now that I will be using a laser this year do most of you leave the laser on all the time while your cutting your grade? Reason I ask is because I know it says not to look directly at the beam. I was going to try to leave the laser lower or higher than me sitting inside the skid steer. I guess what Im asking is how concerned should I be about the light when the laser is a good 25' or more away. I love my eyes. :)

Dirt Digger2
01-23-2008, 06:31 PM
we leave ours on all 8 hours...we turn them off at lunch if we remember but we usually forget...i wouldn't worry too much about it catching you in the eyes...unless you stare into it for a few minutes it won't hurt you by glancing at it every once in a while.

what brand did you go with?

wanabe
01-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Just leave it on. You will not even see the beam unless you stop and stare at the laser.

Fieldman12
01-23-2008, 06:59 PM
My gf bought me a Dewalt for Xmas.

Dirt Digger2
01-23-2008, 07:03 PM
good deal...my guess is that the less expensive brands run through batteries quicker so maybe leaving it on isn't the best idea, but the beam won't hurt your eyes, i have seen the dewalts on job site though and it seems like you really can see the beam...its pretty bright

we have the Spectra Precision Lasers made by Trimble...those babies are expensive..$1800 for the transmitter and $400 for the receiver...you can't even see the laser beam, not even in the dark

Fieldman12
01-23-2008, 07:06 PM
It has the battery in it that you would use in a cordless drill. I think it is 18.2 volt.

skidster32
01-23-2008, 08:25 PM
i just baught an LM30, by CST/ berger. the only thing i dont like about it is its not self leveling, but it came with a tripod, stick and a laser detector.

Gravel Rat
01-23-2008, 08:36 PM
The one I used for the contractor I worked for we left it on when we were shooting grades and when we were not using it turned it off along with the reciever. Its a SOB when the batteries go dead.

I already had a case where I took the laser out to the job get it all set up and it had dead batteries :mad::mad::nono:

The person that used it last didn't plug it in at the shop when they returned it.

KTM
01-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Can't OSHA fine you for leaving a unatended lazer on?

wanabe
01-23-2008, 09:35 PM
That CST will eat batteries like crazy! And be sure to check it often, ours wouls always move in the wind. Self leveling lasers are the only way to go if you have the funds. I have a Cheep topcon that I bought about 6 months ago and it was $1100.

heather
01-23-2008, 11:15 PM
We have a liecia rugby 100 and it's great.I think it was about 2k with the detector.