PDA

View Full Version : 4runner as tow vehicle

luckydooley
01-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Hi,

I just got a 6'x12' single axle enclosed trailer. Empty weight 1400#. Max weight 3000#. I will run it at about 2500-3000# once loaded. I plan to pull with a 02 Toyota 4runner. 3.4 V6. Transmission cooler. Seems to pull it fine. Will this be ok pulling everyday? Or should I start looking for a bigger truck? Thanks!
P.S. I do not pull in overdirve. Any other suggestions?

bigw
01-23-2008, 09:05 PM
It will pull it no problem,i use to pull my 3,000 lb boat with my mountaineer but you may want to consider trading it in for a 4x4 truck so you have more carring capabilities and for simple convience of throwing things in the bed. JMO:weightlifter:

luckydooley
01-23-2008, 09:56 PM
Forgot to mention it is a 4x4 sr5 package. I actually traded a 4x4 Tacoma for this last fall because I needed seats for the kids. I miss my Tacoma, but the 4runner has been fun.

mudwisr2
01-24-2008, 09:49 AM
I would recommend getting a 1/2 ton pickup at least. The 4-runner is definitely well built and has ample power for what you are needing it for and the 8 inch rear axle is surprisingly strong. I would say if you use it through this coming season to save up for a purchase at the end of the year it would be good. Just remember you are driving a 4runner and not a dually and dont race the thing around or you will run into problems (not to mention replacing brake pads). I ran a Tacoma 4cyl 4x4 with a 5x10 trailer behind it and had to build a platform on the trailer so I could carry 2 walk behinds, push mower, 2 trimmers, and 2 blowers. Truck did great. I beefed up all the suspension and did not abuse it. Still have the truck and it drives like the day I bought it over 4yrs and 85K miles ago.

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger
01-29-2008, 12:19 PM
im sure it will handle it fine, i had a 97 tacoma that i used with a 6x10, they are basically set up on the same frame with same engine. The only problem i ever had was Stopping! Be Careful or look into a brake upgrade if your trailer doesnt have brakes. Good luck!