PDA

View Full Version : Work level?

wanabe
01-23-2008, 10:47 PM
Just wanted to see how everyone is doing this winter compared to last winter. The residential construction is very slow in my area, but the commericial is very strong. Still thinking about going into business on my own, but not sure this is the time to do it. I know for sure that I will not be buying a ctl till the residential market turns back arround, so I will end up renting or leasing for a while. So how is it in your area? I sure hope the economy turns back arround!

Construct'O
01-24-2008, 01:14 AM
Decided to post my reply over here,instead of the gloom and doom thread by GR !!!!!!!! Don't want anyone to cacth a cold up north.:rolleyes:

For me things looks to be the best they have been since i started years ago.My work is ag related,so with big land prices and corn prices comes ag work boom for farm related work.

Just picked up a big job that will be an on going job for all next year until this time next year,plus jobs that i didn't get done before the end of 2007 and this spring i'm filled and running over with work.I had two guys call today about work and i told them i would be lucky to get to them this year.

I hate to turn down work,but also find out it is better then not being able to perform the work in a timely matter.They will think of you next time,by you turning down the work,then by taking on the work and not getting it done when they want it done.

Looks rosey now ,but i never count on nothing until i'm on the job performing the work.Been let down when i was counting my chickens before they hatched,too be disappointed.So learned to never count on it until you get your foot in the door and your doing the job.

If your close to a larger city and also able to cater to the farmer,then i say do both.Work the famrer jobs before crops goes in,then head for the city for grading and excavating jobs during the slow farm work time.

Another way of being diversifed.
Chicken thing!!!!! Don't put all your eggs in one basket.:dancing:Good luck:usflag:

RockSet N' Grade
01-24-2008, 09:13 AM
I have 4 jobs lined up come spring thaw. Most of my work seems to be residential - it's still out there, there is interest. I just posted a little ad on a free site in our area.....had 135 plus hits in 12 days....so I know there is interest. I am cautiously optimistic. I have doubled or tripled my marketing plan. I have a job I am set to bid tomorrow for about 80k....maybe I get it and maybe I don't. Compared to last year this time, there are shoppers now and there weren't last year......we will see........

wanabe
01-24-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the replys! What I am wanting to do is get back in the concrete finishing business, along with operating my old hoe(690ELC) a little. I do like farm work also, and I have got a 2-3 day job line up when the weather gets a little better. I am in a long term layoff from the company that I work for, but they have agreed to paying our insurance along with giving us $25,000 per year. Hard to live on money like this, but at least I am single and have my house paid for. Anyone work for any of the big residential developers? I found a couple new subdivisions going in, but do not know how to get my foot in the door. What is the best time to start advertizing? Very cold now, and it may be a little early? I do have my insurance all taken care of, at least that is done. And lets keep this thread positive, no doom and gloom if we can! Don't want to start another GR post(no offence GR). Thanks for any advice!