PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate double blade

accuratelawn
10-27-2001, 10:24 PM
A guy in town has manufactured a blade for the double set up.
There is a "notch" or "bend" in the middle so that when you put another blade under it both cutting edges are at the same height. Hope that is clear. ______----_____ roughly looks like that.

casey
10-27-2001, 10:54 PM
What I would like to see is a Gator blade with teeth on both sides, no cutting edge, to be used as the top blade of a double blade set-up. I am having a metal-head friend work on one.
When I become rich & famous selling the double gator I will still remember the small people that made it all possible.

gogetter
10-27-2001, 10:57 PM
Will he be marketing these, or is this just something he made up for himself?

This brings up a question I meant to ask. I see on Eric's site where he describes his doubles set up that he has a bracket that holds the two blades together and in the correct position.
Where do you get a bracket like this, or is it homemade?

It sounds like the blade described in the original post would make this bracket unnecessary. But if those blades aren't on the market yet, where do I get a baracket?
Thanks.

Eric ELM
10-28-2001, 12:29 AM
The blade accuratelawn is talking about has been out for a couple of years. I've got 2 sets of them, but don't use them. The problem with them is, you have to sharpen it plus the other blade daily, since they are both cutting grass. If I use a double blade bracket, I don't have to sharpen the top blade daily since the top one doesn't cut grass, it just chops up clippings.

I got these blades at Dixie Chopper and I got my brackets at Dixie Chopper. I like the brackets much better than the blades with the hump in the middle. ;)

casey
10-28-2001, 12:34 AM
So Eric, king of doubles, what do you think of a Gator with no cutting edge, both sites choppers, for the top blade?

Eric ELM
10-28-2001, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by casey
So Eric, king of doubles, what do you think of a Gator with no cutting edge, both sites choppers, for the top blade?

Can you explain the Gator with no cutting edge, both sites Choppers? I don't understand that one. :confused:

Runner
10-28-2001, 01:27 AM
I can't see wgere these bent blades would serve to any advantage, as having both of the blades on the same level would mean less exposure of the clippings to blade edge. Take for instance mulching blades. They have two and sometimes three different cuting levels. These are that way for a reason. Gators are the same way, the fins are at a different height. More levels, more clipping cutting.

casey
10-28-2001, 01:27 AM
Eric,
No cutting edge, Gator teeth on both sides, I'm having someone work on one what do you think? Could use them top & bottom for straight leaf cuts.

gogetter
10-28-2001, 01:28 AM
Eric, the bracket that you got at DC, does this work on other brands?
In other words, what are all the other guys using on thier machine to run doubles?

Eric ELM
10-28-2001, 01:30 AM
Casey, it might work good for leaves. Let us know how it works out.

casey
10-28-2001, 01:31 AM
You don't need a bracket.

gogetter
10-28-2001, 01:03 AM
Casey, you're saying to run doubles on my Exmark 36", I just set 2 blades on the bolt in an "X" pattern? And they stay in that position? Hmmm, I would have thought for sure they would need a bracket of some sort to hold them in position. No?
Thanks.

casey
10-28-2001, 01:08 AM
Run Exmark mulchers & gators on top you don't need a bracket on a 36 TTHP. Just position & tighten. Cut in reverse.

Runner
10-28-2001, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by gogetter
Casey, you're saying to run doubles on my Exmark 36", I just set 2 blades on the bolt in an "X" pattern? And they stay in that position? Hmmm, I would have thought for sure they would need a bracket of some sort to hold them in position. No?
Thanks.

One thing that you CERTainly need to look into is longer blade bolts. Depending on that spindles you have, if you only have about 3/8 of an inch of bolt that goes into the spindle after you put your doubles on, then you need to get longer bolts. The next size up in length is 1/2 inch longer, but they should work, because there is plenty of thread up in the soindle to take this. Do NOT run this blade configuration with the stock short bolts!:blob4:

Guido
10-28-2001, 07:33 AM
About stacking the blades rather than both having to do the cutting! Never thought of that one!

gogetter
10-28-2001, 05:20 PM
Runner, on the Exmark Metro, the bolt runs THROUGH the spindle, then through a couple more spacers, then gets a nut on it.

It doesn't thread INTO the spindle. If anything, I may have to leave one top spacer out so the nut fits on, but that's about it.

Runner
10-28-2001, 08:43 PM
There you go. If that's the case, just leave you 1/4 in. spacer out. You're all set.;)

HOWARD JONES
10-29-2001, 12:35 PM
I just bought a set of Gators for my 62" Toro - actual Gator brand - they were offset just like the ones Accuratelawn describes.

Eric ELM
10-29-2001, 08:43 PM
This is like the blade that Accuratelawn was explaining. Now everyone will know what it looks like. ;)

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/images/humpedblade.jpg

Chopper Lover
10-29-2001, 09:01 PM
www.gatorblade.com

According to the Gator Blade web site I found, the teeth on a Gator Blade do not cut anything. They do, however, redirect the clippings back toward the spindle so the clippings can be cut approximately 4 more times prior to falling to the ground or out the discharge chute.

I hope this helps with your "two sides of teeth" idea.

Mark

Henry
10-29-2001, 11:04 PM
Casey, you can't possibly cut all your lawns in reverse can you?

Flex-Deck
10-30-2001, 12:07 AM
OK I like the description that the gators redirect grass, because I have always wondered what happens to it. Not much comes out the discharge which means most is just falling on the ground. Also all this double blade talk about brackets and what ever. In my very limited experience, and mind you it is very limited, it seems most decks have a spindle that has a centering nubbin for the blade with a bolt and washer to retain the blade. If you are going to double blade you need to put the gator that fits your mower (for the centering nubbin) and the bottom blade needs to be one that is the right lenght and has a hole size the same as your bolt that holds the blade on. (IE. My JD 60" Main Decks have 20-1/2" blades with a 5/8" bolt, so I have the gators that fit the centering nubbin then use 60" Dixie Chopper blades on the bottom which happen to be 20-1/2" with a 5/8" hole in the center. This allows the bolt to center the Dixie blade, and the nubben centers the gator. Put them at 90 degrees, tighten the bolt a little more with the impact wrench and away we go.

Eric ELM
10-30-2001, 12:13 AM
Brad, John Deere's have the chamfer that fits the blade, but not very many brands use that method.

I also used a DC blade on the bottom of the JD, since it's a 5/8" hole.

casey
10-30-2001, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Henry
Casey, you can't possibly cut all your lawns in reverse can you?

Reverse-counter clockwise circles are the only way I can figure to eliminate blowout & plowage in heavy leaves with doubles. I ran rubber flaps around the front of the decks & put sheetmetal across the top of the decks to reduce blowback. Still much more efficient than bagging.

GrassChopper
10-30-2001, 08:36 AM
ARe you using a spacer between the blades?

If not, what happens when you hit a stump or something? Don't the blades hit each other?

I think you need something like the bracket. How height does the bracket require?

TLS
10-30-2001, 11:23 AM
Oh my God! How many hundred discussions on Double blades do we need here on Lawnsite????

YOU DONT NEED ANY BRACKETS TO RUN DOUBLES !!!!

So what if they slip?? They still cut, they're still balanced, you'll get through your day, no harm no foul.

Eric,

Where does that notched blade come from? I have never seen one exactly like that before. If you put another regular blade under it, are the cutting edges lined up exactly? Have you used it extensively? Or just for a little bit of time?

GrassChopper
10-30-2001, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by TLS
Oh my God! How many hundred discussions on Double blades do we need here on Lawnsite????

YOU DONT NEED ANY BRACKETS TO RUN DOUBLES !!!!

OH MY GOD!!!! Do you really think that all of us read and have read every single post on this forum?

Excuse me for asking a question!!!:angry:

TLS
10-30-2001, 11:37 AM
Sorry buddy :rolleyes:

Just use the search feature at the top of the page and type in: doubles, double blades, etc. There ARE hundreds of posts on this exact topic.

HOWARD JONES
10-30-2001, 12:10 PM
It's OK to remind people to search, but I still don't mind the endless repetition - despite reading bunches of doubles posts, these offset blades were new to me, and also Eric's comment that the upper blade really does no cutting in his opinion surprised me.

Runner
10-30-2001, 01:42 PM
I think what he meant was that the upper blade isn't exactly what's cutting the grass off. Only the lowest blade would do that (technically, for 1/2 of a revolution, the upper does cut some off, but it's the lower one that is making the finish cut) I'm sure Eric didn't mean to conote that the upper blade does nothing as far as cutting/chopping. This would defeat the purpose of running doubles, wouldn't it?;)

gogetter
10-30-2001, 10:29 PM
OH MY GOD! You mean you don't know the answer to those questions!?! I already got the answer to those. Why do we have to keep rehashing it now that "I" know it?!

Originally posted by TLS

Eric,

Where does that notched blade come from? I have never seen one exactly like that before. If you put another regular blade under it, are the cutting edges lined up exactly? Have you used it extensively? Or just for a little bit of time?

TLS
10-30-2001, 10:37 PM
Gogetter,

If I asked them, then I don't know the answers. I'm looking for opinions on their use.
Care to share your thoughts? I must have missed that one. Do You use that combo?

When I suggest a person search first, I always reply with an answer as well.

Thanks,

Eric ELM
10-30-2001, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by TLS
Eric,

The hump in the blade is about 1/2", so with a 1/4" thick washer they were all the same cutting highth. I tried them for about 2 weeks, but I like the other blades I use better. The lift on those blades is huge too, so it will pull a weak motor down a lot.

I got these at DC.