PDA

View Full Version : 1 Ton Dumps-Your Opnion

scooterdayton
01-24-2008, 03:03 AM
Hey guys,
been struggling on what dually dump to purchase to expand the business this year. I figured you guys would know best. I do lawn care/landscaping in summer and winter plowing.

probley looking somewhere in the 1995-2002 range
do you suggest diesel or gas?
gas mileage??
4 wheel or will 2 still push the snow?
break downs, hunk of junks, stay away from?
any help would be great

thanks yall so much for your time!!!!

paponte
01-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Really depends on YOUR needs. Gas/Diesel debate... I will never own another gas due to the nature of our business. As far as that is concerned, if your not doing mileage, heavy hauling/towing, a gas will do just fine and you will not see the true benefits of a diesel. 4/2 wheel... depends on your conditions. All of our dumps are 2 wheelers, but all carry spreaders. They push snow like beasts, but have their limits as far as hills are concerned. It really depends on your geographical area, and if you are doing commercial, residential, or municipal work. I,m a ford fan for midsize trucks so I wouldn't go any other way until you get into the 26k plus range. Hope that helps a little. :)

scooterdayton
01-24-2008, 01:52 PM
Yea that helps a lot,
do a lot of driving to job sites a day that why i was thinking diesel, even
though i wont be hauling all that much wieght all the time.
i just know how hard they are to work on and get running in the winter.
i suppose its really a toss up.
thanks again!!

lwcmattlifter
01-24-2008, 03:19 PM
Just my .02 you should go heavier than a 1-ton. Unless your just hauling mulch I would look at a Ford 4/550 or Chevy 4/5500 size truck.

zedosix
01-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Your best bet would likely be a ford f450 or f550 both will do all and more than you need at this point in time. Go diesel then you will have the bullet proof 7.3 litre engine. One of fords best. Great on fuel easy to manouever in traffic, I would go with a regular 4x2 drive even plowing snow just a bit of weight in the back and your good to go. A 4x4 will cost you quite abit more, to purchase and secondly to maintain.

Travel'n Trees
01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
Gas on gm before 2001 after duramax, that is number one choice duramax, Ford anything pre 97 but the 7.3, none after 97, dodge all but the 360 around 2000 were weak and do a manual on all but the gm. Zedosix I have to disagree look the 450's and 550 turning radius is worse than alot of semi's, fuel mileage is uncomparable you have one less gear as far as diesels go,high repairs what is that little plug in for in winter. Also Ford does recomend hauling, dirt, rock, mulch, salt, coal, salt, or sand with their trucks, claiming they are not designed for this work.

PerfectEarth
01-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Also Ford does recomend hauling, dirt, rock, mulch, salt, coal, salt, or sand with their trucks, claiming they are not designed for this work.

Can you expalin this sentence a bit? I'm confused. Did you mean "Ford does NOT...." ??

PROCUT1
01-24-2008, 09:12 PM
Can you expalin this sentence a bit? I'm confused. Did you mean "Ford does NOT...." ??

Show me where Ford says that.

zedosix
01-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Gas on gm before 2001 after duramax, that is number one choice duramax, Ford anything pre 97 but the 7.3, none after 97, dodge all but the 360 around 2000 were weak and do a manual on all but the gm. Zedosix I have to disagree look the 450's and 550 turning radius is worse than alot of semi's, fuel mileage is uncomparable you have one less gear as far as diesels go,high repairs what is that little plug in for in winter. Also Ford does recomend hauling, dirt, rock, mulch, salt, coal, salt, or sand with their trucks, claiming they are not designed for this work.

That last comment is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard on this site.

Gravel Rat
01-24-2008, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't even consider a regular 1 ton there is no payload with them.

A F-450 F-550 Ford or 3500HD Chev (19.5 wheels).

Then you have all kinds of Cabover trucks in the 1.5 ton range.

As for gas or diesel if you can find a low mileage diesel then go for it. The V-10 Ford is okay if you get the newer version the old 2 valve engine was a spark plug popper :laugh:

The Chevy trucks with 454 or 8.1 gas will kill you in fuel expenses. Same with Ford trucks with the 460 gas engine. Just starting them up costs 10 bucks :cry:

zedosix
01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
That last comment is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard on this site.

I take it back, what I meant to say was the ENTIRE comment is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. :hammerhead::hammerhead:

grapeford
01-24-2008, 11:00 PM
Have an 05 Chevy 1 ton 4x4 Duramax with an 8ft fisher.I Love it !

mowing grass 1111
01-25-2008, 12:22 AM

I understood maybe a 1/10 of that mess:dizzy:

Travel'n Trees
01-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Contact Ford corporate or customer service they can explain. They do recomend you use a donaldson extreme duty air filter to help, their airfilter system seems to be a major concern, (but I do not understand how that effects transmissions wiring lights rear ends, if you can explain any of their crap to me someone please, ) and that to will void your warranty. I still have another year to pay on my f-550 3000 mile F-550 crew cab xlt 6x6 dump truck that had only highway miles warranty voided after.5 yards of topsoil hauled in it. It was cheaper to sell it and make payments for 3 years, than drive it Sorry when people recomend the ford products after all the things they do to cut corners, like on the f-150 frames and the 5.4 spark plug popper too. Sorry I would not do that to my enemy.

zedosix
01-25-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm in the market for a new medium duty dump truck myself. I was going to purchase a new f550 for my landscape co. to haul fill and topsoil. But now knowing ford voids the warranty if I do this, then I just may as well use a pick-up and trailer. Right, or is the warranty voided on my f350 pickup to because I'm haulin a trailer carrying soil. :laugh::laugh:

J&R Landscaping
01-25-2008, 01:04 PM
I would look at (and myself have been looking for) either a GM 3500hd or a 88-97 Ford F-Superduty. Both have 15000 gvws, and both are only 2wd. You'll be able to get a better payload with those two models then a 1 ton truck with a 10-12k gvw. If you do look at the GM trucks, beware of the pre 1997 6.5 diesels. Many problems with them but after 97-97.5 they were better.

Travel'n Trees
01-25-2008, 02:16 PM
Never had a problem with my dt 466 in my international or my duramax. Chevy had been the best to me so far, and ford experience same reply at dealers in Kansas city, Blue Springs, Mo., lee's Summit, MO St. Louis,Erie, Penn, Jackson, Ms., Brookhaven Ms., New Orleans. So it is isn't a one dealer deal.

SimonCX
01-25-2008, 02:47 PM
Contact Ford corporate or customer service they can explain. They do recomend you use a donaldson extreme duty air filter to help, their airfilter system seems to be a major concern, (but I do not understand how that effects transmissions wiring lights rear ends, if you can explain any of their crap to me someone please, ) and that to will void your warranty. I still have another year to pay on my f-550 3000 mile F-550 crew cab xlt 6x6 dump truck that had only highway miles warranty voided after.5 yards of topsoil hauled in it. It was cheaper to sell it and make payments for 3 years, than drive it Sorry when people recomend the ford products after all the things they do to cut corners, like on the f-150 frames and the 5.4 spark plug popper too. Sorry I would not do that to my enemy.

That is a load of BS. Everyone that complains ford voided there warranty almost always did something (aftermarket chips, programmers). Also on the 05+ air filter are very good and the donaldson come stock. All trucks have there problems but usually there is another story why the dealer voids the warranty that no one wants to say. Sorry but the story that ford voided a warranty for .5 yards of topsoil is a load of BS, sounds to me like someone did something and don't want to admit it.

stroker51
01-25-2008, 03:30 PM
Every time a diesel truck discussion pops up, travel'n'trees has something stupid to say about his experience with his F550. I've got a combined 600+K miles on 3 ford diesels, an 89, a 96, and a 99, my powerstrokes never get below 11mpg pulling a trailer. My biggest load was a load of stone i hauled 200 miles on a 24' gooseneck with my bone stock at the time 96. set the cruise at 80 and averaged like 11.2 mpg. i don't know about the warranty issues much cuz i've never owned a truck that still had a warranty, but a friend of mine has a 97 Fsuperduty that hauled way over loaded every day since it was new, 7.3 powerstroke, and any warranty issue that ever came up was covered. His dad has an 04 6.0 F550, same story as far as use, but they wrecked it, should have been totaled but didnt have full coverage:hammerhead: Anyway it just went into the dealership, bent frame and all, and Ford warrantied turbo and injector replacement, this truck is an 04 6.0 Crew cab 550 with an 11' crysteel duece bed. The dealer sees it around town, they know what is done to it, and it is always covered. The 7.3 is a a great motor, not as durable as a cummins probably, but still a great motor. And if you get one with an auto, my diesel performance guy sends the E4od's out of house to a shop that will do a complete bullet proof rebuild for a little over $2000. A heavy clutch installed in a 5 speed Ford is about a grand. Good luck in your search.

SpruceLandscape
01-25-2008, 05:27 PM
I'm in a similar medium duty truck situation. I would love to get another late model dodge, but what I am really looking for is a 7.3L ford. If I can't find one of those, then I will look for a late model 5.4L ford. Not because they are so much better in my opinion, just because there are a lot of them out there to choose from. If I can't find a decent one at a good price when I am ready to buy, then I'm going to just bite the bullet and go with a new 07 or 08 Isuzu npr hd, or Nqr. They can't be beat in turning radius, and maint. is as simple as it gets when you are dealing with their cabovers.

PROCUT1
01-25-2008, 10:36 PM
The isuzus are great...So are the mitsubishis.

Fords with the 7.3 were great too...only problem with them was the rotting oil pans

I owned 4 dodges and never had luck with them...maybe they have improved but it seems they have really lost the market to ford for work trucks. They seem to be trying to make a comeback.

That said all my newer trucks are fords and i have a lot of early to mid 90's chevys that are bulletproof plow trucks

lawn king
01-25-2008, 11:28 PM
My 2003 NPR HD diesel cab & chassis has a legal body/payload of 9200 lbs. I upfitted a 3000 lb body and toolbox, leaving me 6200 lbs legal. She hauls 4 ton no problem at all.

zedosix
01-26-2008, 12:43 AM
My 2003 NPR HD diesel cab & chassis has a legal body/payload of 9200 lbs. I upfitted a 3000 lb body and toolbox, leaving me 6200 lbs legal. She hauls 4 ton no problem at all.

NPR HD ????

hosejockey2002
01-26-2008, 12:58 AM
NPR HD ????

14,500 GVWR. Standard NPR has a 12,000 GVWR. A truck I'm interested in is an NRR, same cab and engine as the other N-series trucks, but with a 19,500 GVWR and a body/payload capacity of over 12,000 lbs. Just a matter of whether I can make it pencil out...

zedosix
01-26-2008, 02:49 AM
14,500 GVWR. Standard NPR has a 12,000 GVWR. A truck I'm interested in is an NRR, same cab and engine as the other N-series trucks, but with a 19,500 GVWR and a body/payload capacity of over 12,000 lbs. Just a matter of whether I can make it pencil out...

I'm trying to figure out what NPR means. What does it stand for.

barefeetny
01-26-2008, 03:39 AM
should you go 2wd or 4

i plow a lot in 2wd, but never would attempt half my jobs without the security blanket

the handle to put it in 4wd

just take the hit and you will eventually save yourself the extra money of having to be pulled out of muddy lots, icy ditches, and a host of other truck grabbers

maybe a parking lot 1 ton truck could be a decicated 2wd.... with enough weight and decent tires

lawn king
01-26-2008, 10:40 AM

Thats the NRR, nice truck, lots of upgrades over my 2003. 30 more hp, 6 speed auto, pw/pl, gauges, nice truck!

SpruceLandscape
01-26-2008, 11:58 AM
have you looked at the NQR?

hosejockey2002
01-26-2008, 01:57 PM
NPR, or NQR, etc is just the model of the truck, just like F250, F350, etc. They all use the same cab configuration and all look basically the same. The N-series starts out at 12K GVWR and goes up through the NPR-HD (14,500), NQR (17,950) and NRR (19,500). The NPR trucks have either the 5.2L diesel or the 6.0L gas, and the NQR and NRR are diesel only. I like them the best out of the small cabovers because there are more available configurations than any other small cabover manufacturer, as well as having the biggest, most powerful engine in a cabover, even if not by much.

Travel'n Trees
01-28-2008, 06:24 AM
Yes I admit it I was going to do a chip and exhaust to try to get my power out of my f550, up to my duramax, but in reality the truck was in transit on the highway empty except the day I got home with it 120 miles I put .5 yrds plv topsoil in it and a broken fuel line that day, and the day it got out of the shop I sent it to New Orleans, and i picked it up at the dealer and drove it back home and tried to pull my jd 270, egt's were to high and we put it behind my wifes escalade, 23 wheels, and 10k custom paint and pulled it better. After sitting for two days it didn't start again, this truck had 450 of its 3000 miles on a tow truck. No B.S. just simple facts. So I don't want to see anyone else screwed by FORD like I was. And I always will tell the truth even if it hurts you stroker. Maybe I don't like being screwed. Do you know how much a XLT F550 6x6 crew cab power stroke auto snow prepped diesel dump truck costs? Do you know how much this truck has cost me in lost work, wages, insurance, tow truck bills, even airline tickets to get employees home, fuel to go back and get it?

Marek
01-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Then maybe you should hold off on the big pimpin wheels and 10k paint job and hire a lawyer.I everything you say is true then you would have a case. But we all know there are 2 sides to every story !

zedosix
01-28-2008, 10:54 AM
Like wtf, we are talking f550's here and one ton dumps, you start crappin bout how you weren't warrantied, and all this bs. A friggin 6x6 is not made to work as a dump truck unless you have more money than brains.

hosejockey2002
01-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Like wtf, we are talking f550's here and one ton dumps, you start crappin bout how you weren't warrantied, and all this bs.

Read his posts, for whatever reason he has a serious ax to grind with Ford. Probably just PO'd because they repoed his F550 from a job site....JK... Guess he thinks that because he had a bad truck the other 1,000,000 Fords on the road must be junk too.

zedosix
01-28-2008, 12:47 PM
These posts always get out of hand, like stick to the original thread. Some guy wants to know about 1 ton dumps not freakin show trucks, I mean who in their right mind would haul anything in that other than trophies from the last show and shine. :laugh::laugh:

J&R Landscaping
01-28-2008, 02:06 PM
It is becoming increasingly popular around my area to buy a 1 ton dump and register it to a higher gvw. From what I have heard from others who have done this and local AUTO TAG/NOTARY/DMV offices, its looked at by registered weight with-in reason. You can buy a 1 ton dump thats has a gvw or 12000 and bump it to 15000 legally. UIt costs more but they get paid and are happy. Not sure how safe it is but if its standard dump truck work where the truck isn't fully loaded 360 days of the year, it might be something to think about!

Marek
01-28-2008, 04:39 PM
When you get pulled by DOT they are going to go by the sticker on your door jam. Its what ever the axle rating is, they dont care what you registation says.

chevydump03
01-28-2008, 06:13 PM
I've got a 03 k3500 duramax/allison dump and love it. Bought new, it now has over 86,000 miles and no problems. A dump for plowing isn't user friendly, because of visability. So think about that. The GM's turn much shorter than either Dodge or Ford. As far as tagging your truck at a higher weight (mine is at 26,000), this is your combined weight. My truck empty weighs 9200. I didn't want any problems pulling a 14,000 lb trailer. Also don't forget, all comm vehicles over 10,000 need dot number.

hosejockey2002
01-28-2008, 06:18 PM
When you get pulled by DOT they are going to go by the sticker on your door jam. Its what ever the axle rating is, they dont care what you registation says.

This will depend on your state. In Washington, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement is concerned with how much the truck is registered for. You can register your truck for any amount you want as long as you don't exceed tire ratings, don't exceed 600 lbs. per inch of tread with (500 for steer axles) and you must comply with federal bridge and axle limit laws. Of course if you are grossly overloaded to the point where you an obvious hazard I'm sure they can ticket you for that. But if I have my 2500HD loaded to 10,000 GVW and I get stopped, I'm legal because I am registered for that. Other states may prohibit you from exceeding the factory GVWR, but Washington is not one.

scooterdayton
01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
thanks guys, didnt mean to start a fight or none, but all has brought me a lot of insight. im just blind here and dont know what im looking for.

how bout a:
chev 2000 3500hd turbo diesel dump automatic 4x2 with plow 58,000 k,
says it has new tranny heads.
found one for $15,000
what do you think, ripp off, gas guzzler?

i read there was a recall in the drag link on this year, and the breaks in this truck suck.

hey everybody!!! thanks for all the help i really appreciate it. id be lost!!!

OhioMowerGuy
01-29-2008, 08:44 PM
6.5 diesels werent the greatest and I dont think I would buy a truck thats been plowed with.

Sunscaper
01-29-2008, 08:54 PM
I think Ford pretty much has the dump truck market covered. I like all the big three and have driven them all in a 1 ton dump. Hands down the ford wins. Unless you could get a super dee duper 2500HD. Those things will outhaul a mack according to travelin trees.

J&R Landscaping
01-29-2008, 09:14 PM
The truck you are describing is nice. Since it is a later model year, the Diesel engine has been improved upon. It will give you a standard 15000 gvw as well which will be good for payload. Have you driven it yet?

Travel'n Trees
01-29-2008, 11:03 PM
Hosejockey I am sorry that you might have had your equipment repossed, butihave not, And yes it has a case on it being drug out by the state and Ford, our state tryed to get us not to do it because they are a major employer in our state.Hosejockey you might keep your garage door closed it is harder for them to get you things, I have a friend who reposses for a living good luck.