PDA

View Full Version : Big lawns

Mr.GreenJeans89
01-24-2008, 10:31 AM
Need some ideas on how to handle big acre + lawns for spraying weeds without walking them.Ive seen the rider spreaders with these little tanks on them and just cant see how they can be that useful without constantly refilling

Blink74
01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Believe it or not those small tanks can do about 50k before a refill.

Shades of Green LService
01-24-2008, 10:53 AM
coverage: 50,000 ft2 @ 30 oz. / 1,000 ft2 From the Permagreen magnum w/ a 12 gallon tank. This is done by Low Volume spraying.

rcreech
01-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Ride on units are one of the most effecient ways to spray larger lawns. As stated it is a very low volume application, which is what keeps you from having to fill up all the time.

With using these broadleaf products, remember that more water (volume) isn't necessarily better. As long as you get a couple concentrated drops on a broadleaf...it is gone.

Greg Amann
01-24-2008, 08:05 PM
When you get enough accounts to justify it, one of these makes life much easier. We run fertilizer, insecticide and herbicide out at 2 gallons per 1,000.
The 65 gallon tank covers 32,000 sq.ft..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/GregA7215/pest%20control/DuaneonRig.jpg

PSUTURFGEEK
01-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Also if youre' not ready to spend the money on a rider, there are other walking options to attach to your spreader for 300-400 dollars which will usually do about 15,000m2 per tank, this may help also. the only problem is your'e still walking, unless you attach an electric unit to a z-turn.

rcreech
01-24-2008, 10:26 PM
When you get enough accounts to justify it, one of these makes life much easier. We run fertilizer, insecticide and herbicide out at 2 gallons per 1,000.
The 65 gallon tank covers 32,000 sq.ft..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/GregA7215/pest%20control/DuaneonRig.jpg

I have never seen this piece of equipent before. Sure it is nice, but if one has the money I would recommend purchasing a ride on unit! I guess it depends on your application. This unit looks like it would work best on wide open spaces.

I noticed the boom is VERY LOW to the ground which is great from a drift standpoint, but how do you get a good pattern? Are you using flat fan or flood tips? Can you adjust the boom? If not, it looks like it could drag on uneven ground.

How does it do on slopes? Looks like it would be VERY top heavy.

Also, the higher gallons isn't a good thing. I would back that way down if it was me!

If you spray 10 acres/day with a PG it takes 120 gallons total.
If you spray 10 acres/day with your unit it takes 860 gallons total.

You will not only have to carry a lot more water....but you will also spend a lot more time filling!

These both cost big $$$$$$$.

Chilehead
01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
If you have a limited budget, you may want to check out the Spreader Mate by Gregson Clark. It is a drop-in tank for your spreader that is considerably larger than Permagreen's Synergy system.

Greg Amann
01-25-2008, 07:40 AM
It has anti drift flood tips on retractable booms. It has 3 sections to the boom. Each section sprays 4 feet wide and has its own on/off valve. The center stays put, the left and right can be pulled up to go through a 48 inch gate.

Two gallons per 1,000 is a minimum for what we need to control chinch bugs.
Steep slopes are done with a JD9 that sits in a holster on the control panel to the right side of the applicator.

We do properties anywhere from 4,000 sq. ft. to several acres.

Here is the truck we use to supply water and fertilizer. It can carry 600 gallons of water and 200 gallons of liquid fertilizer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/GregA7215/pest%20control/DSC_0014.jpg
This truck just replaced one we wore out after 9 years.

Landrus2
01-25-2008, 07:46 AM
Walker has a tank mount:drinkup:

Grandview
01-25-2008, 09:05 AM
I get 2 acres/Tank out of my Permagreen Magnum.

rcreech
01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
It has anti drift flood tips on retractable booms. It has 3 sections to the boom. Each section sprays 4 feet wide and has its own on/off valve. The center stays put, the left and right can be pulled up to go through a 48 inch gate.

Two gallons per 1,000 is a minimum for what we need to control chinch bugs.
Steep slopes are done with a JD9 that sits in a holster on the control panel to the right side of the applicator.

We do properties anywhere from 4,000 sq. ft. to several acres.

Here is the truck we use to supply water and fertilizer. It can carry 600 gallons of water and 200 gallons of liquid fertilizer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v607/GregA7215/pest%20control/DSC_0014.jpg
This truck just replaced one we wore out after 9 years.

That is a sharp outfit!

NICE!

I think I would still run two rates to save time and gallons. Run 2 gal/K for insect etc and .25-.5 gallon/K for weed control.

That is just me!

You would turn my head if I seen you going down the road!

Great job!

garydale
01-25-2008, 10:21 AM
Get a Permagreen unit and you will never go back!!!!!
I've been doing this for a long time(before weedeaters or blowers) and tried every type of product and spray system. PG is IMO the way to go.

We currently run four units.

Mr.GreenJeans89
01-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Permagreen huh?What is the biggest tank you can get on them..12 gallons?Must have to be pretty concentrtated formula and flying to get 2 acres grandview.Its just hard changing from high volume to low volume but i think im gonna have too.Wheres the best place to look for PGs and price

rcreech
01-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Permagreen huh?What is the biggest tank you can get on them..12 gallons?Must have to be pretty concentrtated formula and flying to get 2 acres grandview.Its just hard changing from high volume to low volume but i think im gonna have too.Wheres the best place to look for PGs and price

I only get about 50K out of a 12 gallon tank. 2 ac/ tank isn't common as he must have made some major changes to his machine if it is a magnum.

You can get a PG through Lesco, as they are about $5900-6200.

There are also other machines available such as a Z-Spray that could work as your other machine and you can change from high to low volume easily.

The Z has more options, but cost more. I have a PG and LOVE it.

Getting a new machine this year that is supposed to be even better then the PG. If you are interested you can PM myself or American and we can give you some info.

Good Luck!

rcreech
01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Forgot to mention that the PG and Z can also spread dry also so you can do everything in one pass.

I thought it looked like you had dry on the back of your machine, but couldn't tell.

This is a big time saver!

cantoo
01-25-2008, 06:23 PM
Here are some threads with pics of some of my sprayers that I built myself. I might have a little less invested than some of the equipment posted. There are lots of pics of other members machines. Scroll to my name to find mine.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=72247

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=78236

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=40461

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=37996

xtremelawn
01-27-2008, 08:27 PM
I only get about 50K out of a 12 gallon tank. 2 ac/ tank isn't common as he must have made some major changes to his machine if it is a magnum.

You can get a PG through Lesco, as they are about $5900-6200.

There are also other machines available such as a Z-Spray that could work as your other machine and you can change from high to low volume easily.

The Z has more options, but cost more. I have a PG and LOVE it.

Getting a new machine this year that is supposed to be even better then the PG. If you are interested you can PM myself or American and we can give you some info.

Good Luck!

I am thinking about getting a PG this year. I know you can use it for weed control and granular fert but what about liquid fert or liquid Pre-M? Also what is the new machine you are talking about and what makes it better?

Thanks

PSUTURFGEEK
01-27-2008, 08:42 PM
It's actually very easy to get 2 acres out of a magnum, just go on Tee jets, website and use your'e best calibration tactics with those new nozzles. The rate is very very low but it can be done.

rcreech
01-27-2008, 09:48 PM
I am thinking about getting a PG this year. I know you can use it for weed control and granular fert but what about liquid fert or liquid Pre-M? Also what is the new machine you are talking about and what makes it better?

Thanks

I am not sure about the liquid fert as I have never used it, but I would think that you could use a fert carrier instead of water. I would call PG on that one.

As far as liquid Pre, I have done both but the last two years I have used dry because it was much cheaper.

PM me on the machine.

rcreech
01-27-2008, 10:39 PM
It's actually very easy to get 2 acres out of a magnum, just go on Tee jets, website and use your'e best calibration tactics with those new nozzles. The rate is very very low but it can be done.

Is anyone doing this?

If so, what kind of results are you getting?

I am always looking to handle less water if I can!

PSUTURFGEEK
01-28-2008, 12:39 AM
I first tried this with a centri going from 32000 to maybe 50,000, the results were very good and I also moved the nozzles down closer to the turf, with the magnum the results were not as good, I went from 50,000-80,000 square feet but the volume was so low it didn't seem to be getting as good results.

Rayholio
01-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Here's a pic of what I use.. it gets around 60-80K on one fill of 40 gal.. 11ft swath.. and it's FAST.. upto 13 mph

jspray
01-28-2008, 11:01 PM
Look over the sprayers on the proedgesprayer.com web site. PE-ZTR will eat up 2.5 acre lawn with one tank in 15 minutes. 4-5 mph speed no problem. Can spray under adverse windy conditions with air induction no drift tips. Will mount on most any commercial ZTR.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-28-2008, 11:27 PM
i would love that setup ray got some money tied up with that

yardprospraying
01-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Look over the sprayers on the proedgesprayer.com web site. PE-ZTR will eat up 2.5 acre lawn with one tank in 15 minutes. 4-5 mph speed no problem. Can spray under adverse windy conditions with air induction no drift tips. Will mount on most any commercial ZTR.

We use the prolawns and can do 2 acres in one 30 gal tank, in approx. 20 min. According to proedgesprayer.com you can only do one acre with 25 gal. I'm not sure if you fully understand how windy it gets around here, today we had 25mph winds with gusts to 35mph. We could still spray within inches of expensive landscaping today.

John...

rcreech
01-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Here's a pic of what I use.. it gets around 60-80K on one fill of 40 gal.. 11ft swath.. and it's FAST.. upto 13 mph

Ray,

I like that! That is very nice!

Is that you?

I have a stupid question as I have never used curtains before.

Are you using a flat fan?

Reason I ask.....how do you know if you are having tip failure or a problem maybe like a plugged tip?

Just curious!

I really like the curtain setup! Can you spray in real windy conditions? How windy does it have to be for you to stop?

Thanks,
RC

Rayholio
01-29-2008, 12:41 AM
Not me.. was taking a pic of an employee in training :)

anyhow... they are fan tips.. you notice those dual transparant pylons that are over the shields? those have red floating bubbles in them which indicate liquid flow.. if they're not all the same, than it's an indication that you may have a problem with a tip..

I can spray in ANY conditions.. and it's my belief that the curtains improve performance of the chemical, as they'll actually 'wipe' the spray over the surface of the plants...

And as far as price, it wasn't all that bad.. $14,000 purchased the 721D w/ Aera-vator (awesome) and the sprayer + a push sprayer (same style) and of course the 52 inch mowing deck.. I don't mow, but the thing paid for itself the 1st season.

they make a spreader to go on the front of the sprayer.. it's just too big for me to justify using it as a spreader..

Whitey4
01-29-2008, 01:58 AM
Ray, that machine looks great! If you can get near zero drift, I'd think that machine would get you as close as possible!

I'm amazed at the equipment you guys use. Me and my lowly backpack.... and postage stamp yards. I can only have machine envy. My tough decisons are a flooding nozzle or a hollow cone? You guys impress the heck out me.

rcreech
01-29-2008, 08:00 AM
Ray, that machine looks great! If you can get near zero drift, I'd think that machine would get you as close as possible!

I'm amazed at the equipment you guys use. Me and my lowly backpack.... and postage stamp yards. I can only have machine envy. My tough decisons are a flooding nozzle or a hollow cone? You guys impress the heck out me.

Owning equipment is fun I love shiny stuff....but don't let us fool you!

We still have to pay for it! :cry:

I would love to have your low equipment costs and charge $10/K.

But I am stuck with owning a bunch of equipment and only charge $4+/K

Rayholio
01-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Heheh.. yeah.. Equipment makes the job interesting.. I'm an anti-debt guy, so I had saved up the money for that deal, put it in CDs, and then took out a loan against them.. Until then I was using a backback, and a $300 push spreader.. so, I've been there bro..

Don't get in a hurry.. I still think I purchased this equipment too soon.. I should have waited until I had more customers..

So.. sorry I'm getting off topic.. but unless you just picked up a hospital, spend your money on marketing.. not equipment.. at least until you really need it.

Whitey4
01-29-2008, 11:54 AM
I don't ever see me having a need for a machine that large. Commercials aren't in mybusiness plan, and every yard is gated. Even my WB has to be a 32". That doesn't mean I can't still be a bit envious!

cantoo
01-29-2008, 06:08 PM
It's easy and cheap to buy the big equipment, you just have to look in the right places. A few years ago I bought one of the 22' wide tri folding wind foil sprayers. I paid a little less that $600 for it. I sold it for over $2000. I bought it at a City of Toronto auction, they decided to quit spraying chemicals and everything sold very cheap. My buddy bought a Toro with about the same unit as rayholio's for under $2000 complete. Sold it for a nice profit.
Strange as it seems there is a silver lining to the pesticide bans if you look hard enough. There are lots of cheap spray equipment for sale in the big cities and well worth the drive.

Mr.GreenJeans89
01-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Ok,i think im leaning towards a new pg magnum.Heard nothing but positive things.As long as i could get a lil over an acre out of the 12 gallon tank i think it would be worth it.Questions for pg mag owners,any complaints about them...are they bubba friendly(250lbs),good on slopes..break downs frequent and what parts..how wide is the spray pattern..any answers would be helpful....its 5 oclock in mexico..mexico missouri that is..time for a beer:drinkup:

nik
01-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Do any of those units come with a shroud. I saw a pull behind on a golf course. Looked more like a mowing attachment. The only time you could tell it was a sprayer was when it hit a bump and the back flap popped up. The guy driving said it most folks assumed he was just mowing and paid him no mind.

rcreech
01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
Ok,i think im leaning towards a new pg magnum.Heard nothing but positive things.As long as i could get a lil over an acre out of the 12 gallon tank i think it would be worth it.Questions for pg mag owners,any complaints about them...are they bubba friendly(250lbs),good on slopes..break downs frequent and what parts..how wide is the spray pattern..any answers would be helpful....its 5 oclock in mexico..mexico missouri that is..time for a beer:drinkup:

PG is a great machine!
It is very effecient!

I will be starting my third season with my PG Magnum and have had very little problems with it.

I bet I have only spent about $25 or $30 on parts thus far.

Great machine for the money!

You can spray and fert an acre in about 20 minutes with this outfit!

crazy4green
01-29-2008, 10:26 PM
All we use is PGs and are very happy with them. You can get anacre out of a tank. And being able to do granular and weed apps at same time make things more profitable. As far as handling a larger man it will do with ease we have a couple guys 250+ lbs and they have no problems what so ever. Even with hills.

DUSTYCEDAR
01-29-2008, 11:11 PM
my perma greens have been great time savers