PDA

View Full Version : Replace bearings in Scag Idlers?

Mike FarmKid2
01-24-2008, 11:17 AM
The bearings that the idler arms pivot on are shot in my Turf Tiger. It looks like most folks buy the whole assembly. Any ideas on how to replace the bearings? Are they pressed in?

Thanks,
Mike

Restrorob
01-24-2008, 01:14 PM
All you have to do is drive them out with a drift punch then drive the new ones in with a socket that is the same size as the bearing outside diameter.

Once you get the old ones out check with your local auto parts stores (NAPA) for replacements, Most likely cheaper than the dealer.

Mike FarmKid2
01-24-2008, 01:26 PM
I couldn't get the punch between the bearings to drive them out from the middle. Are you saying I can drive them straight through? Basically push one clear though the idler?

Thanks

Restrorob
01-24-2008, 07:32 PM
Basically push one clear though the idler?

Yep, Spray some penetrating oil in the center and give it a try. If they are too tight (won't move) take the arm to a auto shop that has a press, They shouldn't charge but a couple bux to press them for you.

Mike FarmKid2
01-24-2008, 07:36 PM
OK, roger that. I have access to a press. I didn't want to press on it if there was a ridge or step between the bearings. Seems kind of odd that friction is the only thing that keeps the whole assembly together.

Take care,
Mike

Restrorob
01-24-2008, 08:08 PM
If there were a step or ridge it would leave room to get a punch on them, With the shaft through the center and washers then nut there really isn't anywhere for it to go.

Good Luck

Landrus2
01-24-2008, 08:27 PM
By the time you spend praying bearings out and pressing them in. I say it will never last as long as a new part do to the stress in metal:drinkup:

Restrorob
01-24-2008, 10:05 PM
do to the stress in metal

Couple questions for ya joe;

How do you think they get the bearings in at the factory ?

Would you replace complete spindle assemblies when a bearing goes out ?

Would you replace the front wheel when a bearing goes out ?

Would you buy a new drive shaft for your truck if only a U-joint goes out ?

Etc...etc...etc...etc......

Besides, This is only a idler arm so the bearings don't spin.

topsites
01-26-2008, 01:31 AM
Are you talking bearings, or bushings?

If bearings you might want to check and make sure there isn't some sort of clip holding it in place, at least in the case of spindle bearings there always is.

Now with bushings LOL you want to keep an old one or two around for this...
What you do is take the idler assembly and press it in a vise so it stays in place.
Then take an existing bushing and set it right on top of the one that needs to come out, and whack it out like that...
Yes, with a hammer, drive the old one out by hitting another one sitting right on top.
You can do it with a new one but it helps to have spares, it can bend them and you might have to go buy another.
That is the only way I've ever gotten those things out of there.
So if this is the deal make sure you keep one or two of the old ones around, for next time.

It also helps to order these bushings in quantity, I usually replace all Wb bushings every year.

Roger
01-26-2008, 07:26 AM
By the time you spend praying bearings out and pressing them in. ...

If prayer is the method for getting the old ones out, why not use prayer to get the new ones installed? Sometimes the using words of deity are part of these projects, but I am glad to know that those words are rightly used for prayer in your suggestion.

ed2hess
01-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Are you talking bearings, or bushings?

If bearings you might want to check and make sure there isn't some sort of clip holding it in place, at least in the case of spindle bearings there always is.

Now with bushings LOL you want to keep an old one or two around for this...
What you do is take the idler assembly and press it in a vise so it stays in place.
Then take an existing bushing and set it right on top of the one that needs to come out, and whack it out like that...
Yes, with a hammer, drive the old one out by hitting another one sitting right on top.
You can do it with a new one but it helps to have spares, it can bend them and you might have to go buy another.
That is the only way I've ever gotten those things out of there.
So if this is the deal make sure you keep one or two of the old ones around, for next time.

It also helps to order these bushings in quantity, I usually replace all Wb bushings every year.

Come on topsite this is a scag no cheap bushing ---real bearings and I put them in the same way you describe for the bushings ...no clip press fit.