PDA

View Full Version : Over-seeding... how often?

Lawn-Scapes
10-27-2001, 11:32 PM
How often should it be done? It's an expensive add on for customers.. especially with 1+ acres. Is there a general rule of thumb?

A customer would like me to aerate & seed early next Spring. Is it a big no-no? It's 57,000 sf of non irrigated turf. Can you get successful results in the Spring?

Eric ELM
10-28-2001, 01:49 AM
The fall is the best time to overseed, but if you do this in the spring, don't put any Pre M down or the seed will not germinate.

KirbysLawn
10-28-2001, 01:27 AM
Tom, 57k non-irrigated in the spring will be lucky to survive the summer unless you are very very lucky with the rain. And like Eric said you will not be able to do any pre-m down so the surviving grass will have to compete with crabgrass. There is no way I would do this job, to high risk for failure with my business name attached.

As for how often, depends on how much turf survives during the summer, some need it every year and irrigated ones often remain thick and full, all depends on the look of the turf.

Lawn-Scapes
10-28-2001, 11:27 AM
Thanks Eric & Ray...

I spoke with the customer Friday and told her about not being able to put down pre-m and that she would have to water some of the troubled areas. I think I'll tell her that we'll do some spot seeding in the Spring and wait 'til Fall for the biggie.

As far as the Fall being better... I did 7 jobs this Fall (early October) and we've had no precip... What happens to the seed? Is it eventually going to pop if and when it rains? Can the seed sit there 'til Spring and germinate then?

owen bryant
02-10-2002, 11:36 AM
I am new to this what does Pre-M stand for? Thanks.

AltaLawnCare
02-10-2002, 02:37 PM
Pre-m = Pre-emergent herbicide. You gotta be licensed in Va. to apply it. They're talking about cool season grass too.

In my area, cool seasons are most common. ;)