PDA

View Full Version : palm pilot"s do they help you?

ant
10-27-2001, 10:49 PM
i see palm pilots everywere.
are they that big of a time saver?
i am a note pad on paper kind of a guy and
like to look into one of those palm's...
how do they work?
i went to the office warehouse and the
guy behind the desk could not even turn it
on.....
ant:confused:

Paradise Yard Service
10-28-2001, 01:45 AM
I love mine and would say try the new m105 Palm as it is the least expensive. If its not for you then you can sell it or give to someone who likes this nerdy stuff. I'm hooked. All important info stays in one place! Comp USA sells a breakage plan to cover you for two years. You break it, they replace-no charge. Try this thread to get the skinny on PDAs.

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=9623&highlight=palm+pilot

Aloha,

P.Y.S.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
10-28-2001, 07:10 AM
Ant,

A friend of mine who has a sizable company ( landscape ) up here, uses one religiously. His secretary puts all his messages onto the computer and then he can download them onto the palm pilot and keep track and make notes as he responds to the calls and so on and so fourth. he says he would be lost without one.. Me , I dont' have enough work to worry about that yet..

ant
10-28-2001, 07:38 AM
thanks for the replys.
i was reading the sunday paper and office max has a palm m100 pda for 100.00/
it has 2 mb. of memory
is 2 mb. enough?
is this thing easy to grasp?
ant

chariot
10-28-2001, 09:29 AM
I have a Handspring Visor which uses the palm operating system. This has helped me keep things up to date with the business. I like the Handspring because it has many ways to upgrade and there are lots of modules available , such as digital camera, mp3 player, cell phone and a lot of others, they hook directly to the palm itself. You should look at them, www.handspring.com I love mine!

paul
10-28-2001, 10:08 AM
I use a Laptop it just works better for me.
Appontments on Outlook.
Too do lists.
Mapping software.
Equipment tracking software.
Manpower tracking.
Proposal and bid sheets.
Some plans (CAD) on laptop.
Extra Work orders can be written and signed.
Letters written on site while fresh.
Download pictures off camera and place in letters as needed.
Transfer of files while out in the field.
Material ordering with suppliers.

I have a old printer that runs on 110 in the back seat with a converter that I picked up at SAM's club for $30, plus it keeps the battery charged on the lap top.

ant
10-28-2001, 11:13 AM
paul" how does that mapping software work?
ant

dhicks
10-28-2001, 01:16 PM
I had a Palm and they are great TOOLS for our trade. I did upgrade to a IPAQ 3650 that runs Windows CE and has 64 megabytes of memory. The reason for the upgrade is color, (I can show prospective customers a sample of my work), more memory, and it runs Windows applications such as Word, Excel, Outlook, and Dope Wars.

At school last week, we had a wonderful demonstration of Clip and how Clip will interface with IPAQ or other WIN CE handhelds. This will be a real time saver for accurate billing and time accounting.

scottt
10-28-2001, 03:21 PM
I have a handspring visor deluxe with 8mb of memory. I love it, however earlier this year I dropped it and broke the glass. I would highly recommend the 2 year breakage plan from compusa. Does anybody know the best place to have it fixed?

tpirobert
10-28-2001, 08:24 PM
Another Handspring Visor Deluxe user here. Threw away my Franklin Planner earlier this year. I too love my Visor. Recently picked up digital camera "module" that also works well on Visor. It's a great tool with lots of options. Get 8mb of memory or more.

GLS
10-28-2001, 08:55 PM
I use a laptop or just a notebook because I when I had my palm, I spent forever trying to type up little reminders and notes. You have to hit each letter with the pen, and is a little slow at responding. Mine was cheap though, $100. If you are going to get one, I suggest a $400 compaq or hp.

scott's turf
10-29-2001, 09:12 AM
I have used one for two years to calendar all my jobs and phone numbers of clients. It is a great way to check on length of jobs and other time wasted throughout the day. A used one or bottom of the line one should work fine for you. Just be sure to upload it often to your pc incase you drop it!

SprinklerGuy
10-29-2001, 10:26 AM
Paul.....I thought I was the only anal retentive guy on this board. I do the same, MS Outlook and a laptop. Printer in back seat. Forget the battery operated "portable" printer. Inverter and old printer. Don't all of us techno files have an old cheap printer laying around >? Put it to use.

Palm pilot is sitting on my desk ....unused and abused ever since Mr. Laptop showed up. The beautiful thing about the laptop? No need to "hot synch" every day. Also, create your bids and other documents on the fly. Sure it costs a little more but now I can give my desktop to the kids and wife. You will find yourself using the laptop instead of the desktop. Me.....on the recliner watching the D'Backs kick the Yankess ass while doing paperwork or surfing the net or talking to all of you guys.

Dochere
10-29-2001, 02:09 PM
I use a Diamond Mako PDA. I too am partial to a laptop and use one also, that is the only way to get the full computing advantage. But there are many times that a laptop is not neccisary so the mako comes in perfect. This item is great for contact management, routing, schedualing, email, and note taking. I did not like the first palm I bought, and ended up selling. Then bought a visor, I liked it better than the palm, cooler features, but it wasn't for me, got rid of that one too. Then I found the diamond mako (I think it is www.diamondmako.com) You can find them on ebay for under $150 and these are great and extreamly easy to use! Here are some of the stats:

Touch-Sensitive Screen
Word, Spreadsheet, Email & Web Browser
Command Icons
Sleek, Unique & Pocketable
Charging & Power Lights
Full QWERTY Keyboard
Help Key
Loudspeaker
Program Icon Bar

Looks like this;