PDA

View Full Version : What size skidsteer?

MassSteelerfan
01-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Hi everyone,
Was thinking of buying a skidsteer this year. My question is what size is a good all around model. In other words, I do some of everything except irrigation. For example, installs, patios walls, etc. For the most part more lawn installs, plantings, but also hardscape. My biggest delema is, do I need something big like a cat 262,272 or am I just wasting money. In the same regard am I too small with a 246 when I am carrying a pallet of pavers, and it's not doing me any good. Also would like input on makes and models, would prefer the cat style hand controls, as I hate using foot petals. Any and all input is appreciated.

Scag48
01-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Rent for a year, buy the size you rented the most.

Birdjr
01-24-2008, 07:22 PM
I would go as big as u can afford. Its always nice to have the extra hp and lifting capacity then being underpowered.

ma5tr
01-24-2008, 09:28 PM
I agree, go with as big as you can afford. If access is not a issue. I own Cat, and I had problems with my first cat skidsteer, but Cat aknowledge the problem and gave me a new machine (after about a year of ownership). I really like the Cat service in my area and was a big influence in me buying cat. Overall I am really happy with the machine...it was a little more money than the competitors but I feel it was worth it. I demoed many machine and the GEHL machines also impressed me. If access is not a issue go as big as you can afford. Specially lifting pallets of sod easily a 246/242 will be as small as you will want to go. I think that would do everything you will want it to. The new pressurized cat cabs are supposed to be awesome.

Ridin' Around
01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Are you gonna go with a track machine? I would take a hard look at an ASV most likely the PT-80/ SR-80. we have rented that the most lately. Good power, good size. 2 speed makes it highly productive. my .02.

Scag48
01-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Buying a track machine as your first machine is usually a large mistake. How would you even know you're getting the most of the tracks? You wouldn't. I suppose I agree with buying the biggest you can afford, but if you only need the extra horsepower and lift capacity a small percentage of the time, you're burning more fuel, the monthly payment is more, and your transport requirements have become larger. Something to think about, a lot of guys want to talk about getting the biggest machine they can afford, that doesn't always play in your favor. When we were shopping for excavators, we definately could have bought a Cat 315CL, 320CL, maybe even a 318CL if we could have found one. Truth of the matter is that the 312CL we ended up buying got things done just fine. Sure could have used a little extra reach, more power, and extra lift capacity at times, but we made due with the machine we had. I know skid steers and excavators aren't quite the same, but it's something to think about.

Landrus2
01-24-2008, 10:31 PM
bobcat s250 or cat 236:drinkup:

MassSteelerfan
01-24-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks for all the imput. I do have a Gehl dealer pretty local, and they seem to be priced pretty reasonable. I have also seen more new Gehl's around this winter. I have been interested in them, but have also seen them used, and seem to loose a lot of value quickly. Any reason? or just not as popular? In regards to a track loader, I feel it does have it's advantages, but I feel I can't justify the cost, and also possibilty of needing for snow removal, which I have been reading, does a number on the tracks, as well as not getting the same amount of pushing power on snow. Thank you all, and any more input is greatly appreciated.

newtostone
01-24-2008, 11:57 PM
bobcat s250 or cat 236
Do you have a cat 236? I am looking for this spring and thats what size I was thinking but never hear anything about them here, please share; likes dislikes problems?

Lawn Tech LLC
01-27-2008, 10:51 PM
There are so many things to think about but if you can afford a higher HP machine that is a good way to go. Also think about bucket height in case you have to load Dump trucks with debris or materials. I have a S 250 Bobcat and has proven to be the right choice for me. This is my 4th skid that I have bought, I wish I would have gone the rental way for a year. Live and learn

AWJ Services
01-27-2008, 11:00 PM
Pilots all the way.
Get a larger machine.
Something with a 2500 ROC oe higher and at least 80 hp.
The small machines will not do any serious grading nor handle heavy loads.
I prefer CTL but I do mostly Heavy grading.