PDA

View Full Version : would you buy it?

d&rlawncare
01-24-2008, 08:34 PM
I ran across a 1985 f250 4WD supercab sitting on the side of the road yesterday. Called the owner who is the ORIGINAL owner and in his mid-eighties. Comes with topper, hitch, electric brake box. The bad- no AC, pass door dont open from outside, tailgate shuts but has fell open once and the owner thinks it is broke. But has never happened again.

The good- 31,000 ORIGINAL MILES he bought it in 1985 to tow his daughters horses around and that only lasted 2 years. SInce then he just drives it here and there to keep it going. He replaced raditor and belts last year.

WOULD YOU BUY IT? and what would you pay?

monty33
01-24-2008, 09:15 PM
Hell yeah. $2000. Would not want it as my personal ride for long, but would put an employee/crew in it and tell them to take care of the old man's classic or else. Easy to work on and paid for real quick, like day one.

d&rlawncare
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Hell yeah. $2000. Would not want it as my personal ride for long, but would put an employee/crew in it and tell them to take care of the old man's classic or else. Easy to work on and paid for real quick, like day one.

Yup thats my plan. and he dont even want that much for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hosejockey2002
01-24-2008, 09:30 PM
It could be a good truck, but don't let the low mileage fool you into thinking it's automatically a creampuff. Sitting around not being driven much in some ways is worse than driving every day. In the fire dept. I work for we have surplused several vehicles with very low mileage that you couldn't pay me to own.

d&rlawncare
01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
It could be a good truck, but don't let the low mileage fool you into thinking it's automatically a creampuff. Sitting around not being driven much in some ways is worse than driving every day. In the fire dept. I work for we have surplused several vehicles with very low mileage that you couldn't pay me to own.

I have thought of this as well. I already have a 2003 f250 so I dont NEED another truck. But if I do hire someone this year to work while Im at my fulltime job then I wouldnt have to worry about needing another truck. This all depends on the amount of accounts I get. I would most likely use the 85 and go to work. 8 miles one way. and let the 03 hit the road for mowing. Ive been looking on ebay a 1985 f250 is going for close to what this guy is asking and it is listed as a "for part truck only" Im still undecided but hate to pass it up.

TXNSLighting
01-25-2008, 09:47 AM
What engine does it have?

Lawnworks
01-25-2008, 04:36 PM
If you don't need I would not buy it unless you can make a profit selling it on ebay.

Landrus2
01-25-2008, 04:45 PM
If miles are original donít look back.:drinkup:

d&rlawncare
01-25-2008, 04:51 PM
What engine does it have?

cant remember right now.

Jpocket
01-25-2008, 05:40 PM
I have thought of this as well. I already have a 2003 f250 so I dont NEED another truck. But if I do hire someone this year to work while Im at my fulltime job then I wouldnt have to worry about needing another truck. This all depends on the amount of accounts I get. I would most likely use the 85 and go to work. 8 miles one way. and let the 03 hit the road for mowing. Ive been looking on ebay a 1985 f250 is going for close to what this guy is asking and it is listed as a "for part truck only" Im still undecided but hate to pass it up.

LOL your doing it kinda backwards, I'd be putting the 85' out there to mow. No way I'd be using a 4 year old truck.

d&rlawncare
01-25-2008, 08:41 PM
LOL your doing it kinda backwards, I'd be putting the 85' out there to mow. No way I'd be using a 4 year old truck.

Now that I reread that, it is backwords!!!!

jglawnmowing
01-25-2008, 09:02 PM
I too like hosejockey2002 I'm a full-time firefighter and I totally agree with him even if a vehicle has low miles that doesn't always mean it was hardly used. Such as we have a 1995 E-One Engine/Tanker, yeah it only has 18,000 miles on it, but it is driven like it is stolen. Hard on the brakes, a lot of stop and go driving (55mph to 0mph then stomp on the gas and back up to 55mph) Also it shows wear and tear on the electrical system such as the alternator and battery needing replacement from all the electronic equipment on it. Also spends a lot of time either idling for or pumping at full capacity(2000 - 2500 RPM) on the scene of a fire. Sounds like this is a good deal and the guy took care of it. I think that hosejockey2002 and I were just giving some advice to look for signs of abuse even though the truck only has 31,000 miles.

supercuts
01-26-2008, 09:29 AM
I too like hosejockey2002 I'm a full-time firefighter and I totally agree with him even if a vehicle has low miles that doesn't always mean it was hardly used. Such as we have a 1995 E-One Engine/Tanker, yeah it only has 18,000 miles on it, but it is driven like it is stolen. Hard on the brakes, a lot of stop and go driving (55mph to 0mph then stomp on the gas and back up to 55mph) Also it shows wear and tear on the electrical system such as the alternator and battery needing replacement from all the electronic equipment on it. Also spends a lot of time either idling for or pumping at full capacity(2000 - 2500 RPM) on the scene of a fire. Sounds like this is a good deal and the guy took care of it. I think that hosejockey2002 and I were just giving some advice to look for signs of abuse even though the truck only has 31,000 miles.

what?? did you not read the first post? its a guy in his mid 80's, original owner, which means he was in his 60's when he bought it new. this isnt a firetruck, nor do i think that is what hosejockey was talking about. he was stating trucks sitting have problems. i think he might have meant brush and utility department trucks, not pumpers and rescues running numerous equiptment stressing the electrical systems. nothing like comparing apples to apples on here, thats why i love some of these comments.

if the truck isnt all rotted out, you drove it and it goes good, it sounds like a good deal.

AI Inc
01-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Its a $1300 truck, if ya can get it for that, buy it.

d&rlawncare
01-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Update-

Ill be getting it but it does need a new carb ($150). I tried to offer him mowing services for it (2 1/2 acres of turf) but he really likes his current LCO. I'll pick it up next friday. As I was leaving he told me he did own another house and wanted me to look and give him a price March 1st. He said its a lot and a half. So when this is all said and done I will probably walk away close to even if not ahead.

And its under $1300

TXNSLighting
01-28-2008, 10:25 AM
good deal!! be sure to tell me what engines in it... thanks!

J&R Landscaping
01-28-2008, 10:24 PM
That does sound good!

topsites
01-28-2008, 10:50 PM
I totally agree with him even if a vehicle has low miles that doesn't always mean it was hardly used.

Kind of, you do have to be careful with old odometers that simply reset to 0 after 99,999 but I think in this case if the man claims it's original miles then I would tend to believe it, I really doubt this is an issue, I also doubt he drove it super hard.

So that's not the problem, the only time miles create a problem anyhow is when it's excessive.

There is still a problem thou, low miles or not trucks age and time does something to them.
20 years don't just pass without having an effect on a vehicle, even when it's never driven that truck is hardly a spring chicken.
That's why a vehicle's Blue Book value falls year after year, whether you drive it, or not.

Look, you can buy a brand new Ferrari today and have it towed to your house and deposit it in your living room.
Then you let it sit for 20 years and keep it covered up and dust free and what have you.
Then after 20 years you go ahead and put oil and a new battery in it.
And I GUARANTEE when you go to start it, that car is NOT the same as when it was brand new.

he was stating trucks sitting have problems. i think he might have meant brush and utility department trucks, not pumpers and rescues running numerous equiptment stressing the electrical systems.

Any vehicle that is 20 years old develops problems, things break even when a vehicle isn't being used, it's the same thing with anything old, lawn mowers too.

They ALL do it, try and leave your car sit for a year some time and see what happens.

So I'd pay 1,000 bucks for it, without actually checking that's about the Blue Book.
But that's another problem, there is no Blue Book value on vehicles 20+ years old.
But I'd be willing to bet that's what he's asking for it, 800-1000 maybe 1200 is about what it's worth.

And maybe he asked 14-1500 for it fine, because that would be the absolute most he can get for it.

The old man even said it too, he is being upfront when he says this is not like no 2-3 year old truck with comparable miles.