PDA

View Full Version : Ontario GVWR

ma5tr
01-24-2008, 09:18 PM
hello all,

Ok I think I got it but need some clairification. My gvwr can be 11000kg (24200lbs) before I have to upgrade to a "D" licence. I can only haul 4600kg (10120lbs) on a trailer (including trailer weight) any more and a "A" Licence is needed. My truck is rated at 19500lbs gvwr.....So If I register my vehicle (RGW) for 24200lbs and a haul a loaded trailer (10120lbs) + the weight of the vehicle itself (10000lbs) + Trailer Tongue weight (approx 1000lbs) total weight is 21120lbs......So I have 3080lbs Payload that I can put in the truck without getting in trouble. Is this right??? And yes I know I CVOR stickers are needed.

Thanks

Gravel Rat
01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
The rules should be the same all accross Canada. The first thing you will need is a NSC number (national Safety Code) if you don't have that you can't get the truck registered. Now for drivers license a regular class 5 license will be legal for any 2 axle truck with any gvw most common is 35,000lbs. If you want to pull a trailer heavier than 10,000lbs you will need a endorsement on your license. If the truck has air brakes you need a air endorsement. Now if you want to pull a trailer legally and if the truck has juice brakes and the trailer has electric brakes you can get a class 3 if you want to be covered with all trailers than go with a Class 1 (A) license.

The gvw on your truck you want it the maximum the manufacturer rates your truck at. If you pull a trailer all the time then you will have to license the truck for the total weight.

Get the proper drivers license class you don't want to derate the gvw of the truck so you have no payload.

bobcat_ron
01-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Get a class 1 license and all your worries come to an end, at least mine did.

Optimum Lawn
01-25-2008, 06:31 PM
hello all,

Ok I think I got it but need some clarification. My gvwr can be 11000kg (24200lbs) before I have to upgrade to a "D" licence. I can only haul 4600kg (10120lbs) on a trailer (including trailer weight) any more and a "A" Licence is needed. My truck is rated at 19500lbs gvwr.....So If I register my vehicle (RGW) for 24200lbs and a haul a loaded trailer (10120lbs) + the weight of the vehicle itself (10000lbs) + Trailer Tongue weight (approx 1000lbs) total weight is 21120lbs......So I have 3080lbs Payload that I can put in the truck without getting in trouble. Is this right??? And yes I know I CVOR stickers are needed.

Thanks

Sounds right to me..."Scaled" weight below 11000kg combined(truck and Trailer).....just do not go beyond those limits or $$$$$ in fines.
But since your getting near the limit of a "G" licence you may want to upgrade to a "D" or even a "A" cause of the trailer...then you have room for miscalculation...since MTO will not miscalculate :cry:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/classes.htm