PDA

View Full Version : Number of accounts to keep 3 guys busy

dmk395
10-28-2001, 09:48 AM
How many residential accounts would keep three guys busy for an average of 40 hours per week. I am basing an average account in my area at 12,000 ft of lawn, yearly cleanups and mulch.

dmk395
10-28-2001, 09:53 AM
Forgot to add this one. Have 2 Exmark 48" mowers for the grass, 2 trucks and assorted other tools.

eggy
10-28-2001, 10:13 AM
I dont belive a number will do you any good. The size of each one is more important. I know you said residential but residentials we handle range from 25.00 to 160.00 so to say a number is impossiable. I know another situation where a freind of mine has one account that keeps for guys busy, all year. So for them one account...it is such a open question. You need to know your own productivity levels.

Guido
10-28-2001, 10:15 AM
We discussed this yesterday in a different post somewhere by accident, but I'll repeat a little bit of it.

Studies and polls have shown that a 2 man crew for lawn maintenance is more productive. Productivity on the 3rd man is not the same as when adding a 2nd man, know what I mean?

Maybe for the mulching beds, cleanups, etc, but I would say go with 2 men on the maintenance crew.

dmk395
10-28-2001, 10:57 AM
Guido I think you may be correct. Nonetheless sometimes I will need to run a 3 man crew due to certain logistics.

HOMER
10-28-2001, 11:13 AM
Hard to say.

12,000 sq ft ain't that much here. My average lawn is double that and my average time is around 25 minutes by myself. With one helper I can do them in 15-18 minutes.

You'll have 3 men so depending on how fast they are you should be able to knock these out in 10 minutes or so.

120 man hours a week.

Average lawns per hour should be at least 4 with travel time I would think, possibly 5 or 6 if they were really close.

The bottom end would be 480 yards!

I would back it down to 2 men and use a 3rd as a part timer.

Can you round up this many accounts?

If you could would you want to?

LoneStarLawn
10-28-2001, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by HOMER

120 man hours a week.

Average lawns per hour should be at least 4 with travel time I would think, possibly 5 or 6 if they were really close.

The bottom end would be 480 yards!

?

How did you come up with that number?

At 4 an hour would be 32 a day
At 5 an hour would be 40 a day
At 6 an hour would be 48 a day

Bottom end I assume you mean the 4 an hour. So the 32 a day.

5 days a week. 32 * 5 = 160 a week

So....<b>160 weekly accounts</b> or <b>320 every two weeks accounts</b>

It would have to be 6 an hour (48 a day) every two week accounts for 480 accounts.

HOMER
10-28-2001, 11:48 AM
Gee Alan, you got me again!

I did 120 hrs @4 an hour. Should have divided that by 3 people huh?

Thanks for keeping me in line.

LoneStarLawn
10-28-2001, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by HOMER
Gee Alan, you got me again!

I did 120 hrs @4 an hour. Should have divided that by 3 people huh?

Thanks for keeping me in line.

Again? I don't remember the first time, but your welcome.

dmk395
10-28-2001, 12:16 PM
I see your point Homer. However a few hundred lawns seems inconprehensible when you figure they are full service. How bout an adjustment for that. I was figuring about 80 accounts. 2 man mowing crew knocks out 20 per day, 4 days a week. 1 man crew works on landscape projects etc, 5 days. on fifth day mowing crew joins landscape crew. sat is for catchup, maintenance and paper work.

stslawncare
10-28-2001, 12:25 PM
dont forget travel time!

Runner
10-28-2001, 01:21 PM
Travel time is right.....+down time when something goes on one of the mowers, and you got two guys standing around. Yeah, everything else is done, and you have to get this thing going on this mower. It happens. And you also have that much more sharpening, that much more paperwork and administrative, and you also have that much more cost ASSOCIATED with another employee. i.e. liability, workman's comp, etc. I have been running two and three man mowing crews for almost twenty years now, and believe me, for the mowers you are running, and the capacity you are cutting per job with them, you are far better off with just two for your crew. Your trim man will be coasting. Just take the couple of minutes extra time with one other guy, and trim it out. You'll be saving yourself a couple of hundred dollars a week.

dmk395
10-28-2001, 06:19 PM
Well from the looks of it a two man crew is the way to go. I guess I will become the one man landscape crew, let the employees do the mowing.

Grapevine
10-28-2001, 09:38 PM
We run 3 guys 4 days of mowing/ Monday and Sat. landscaping, pruning etc.. I'm on the crew so there's a little screwing around, but not too much. If you've got 3 people that really know what they're doing and are almost in each others head, you'd be surprised at your productivity. Of course the right equipment helps out too. I've found that 2 guys with walk - behinds get burnt out quickly, but 2 guys on Walkers or ZTRs can go a lot further and make you more money. It's really a tough question to answer because there's too many variables involved.

KindGardener
10-28-2001, 11:58 PM
You haven't mentioned what your overhead & labor costs are - isn't that pretty important to factor in?

I can't "translate" the number of acres y'all mow - here we mostly deal with small gardens, pruning, planting flowers, etc.

But I've got just over a hunded accounts, only half are weekly, and I'm making enough to stay in business (and pay for 2 workers)