PDA

View Full Version : Late New Sales

ted putnam
01-24-2008, 09:39 PM
I was wondering what you guys in the Northeast and midwest use for post crabgrass control blanket apps on your late new sales without breaking the bank?

Victor
01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Dimension Ted

ted putnam
01-24-2008, 09:56 PM
Dimension Ted

Victor,
I was told Dimension only worked on crabgrass up to the 5 leaf stage. It works beyond that?

ted putnam
01-24-2008, 10:16 PM
The reason I'm asking is because we were told at ou turfgrass conference that we will be losing MSMA probably in the next 18 months. I don't think you guys deal with Dallisgrass(paspalum) but we do in a big way. As it is we will be blowing holes in peoples lawns with R-UP just to get rid of that. Quinclorac is fine for spot treatment of crabgrass but not very cost effective for blanket apps.

FdLLawnMan
01-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Ted
You guys must have serious problems with grassy weeds. I haven't put down any pre-emergent on my lawn in the past 10 years and normally I only put down dimension on about 10% of my customers, mostly along walks and driveways. I have used Quinclorac, under the Drive name and last year I used Q4 with success on the few lawns that crabgrass popped on, but only as a spot spray. You are correct that either one of them is expensive for a blanket app. I believe Dimension only works up to the second or third tiller stage. Maybe you could explain to the late customers that if you have to spray for a grassy weed you can, but it will cost extra. Next year they won't procrastinate.
Good luck in finding something that will work for you.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-25-2008, 07:39 AM
Maybe you could explain to the late customers that if you have to spray for a grassy weed you can, but it will cost extra. Next year they won't procrastinate.

That's what I do. I don't know anyone who pics up late customers & doesn't charge acordingly to take care of their crabgrass w/ chemicals that are that costly & out of the normal program. Quinclorac is off patent, and last year I used Armor Tech Quinpro (quincorac) cost me $55/Acre, instead of $79 for drive.

ted putnam
01-25-2008, 08:12 AM
That's what I do. I don't know anyone who pics up late customers & doesn't charge acordingly to take care of their crabgrass w/ chemicals that are that costly & out of the normal program. Quinclorac is off patent, and last year I used Armor Tech Quinpro (quincorac) cost me $55/Acre, instead of $79 for drive.

Thanks Liberty and Fd,
We do have a serious problem with them. All kinds and most of them are perennials, not annuals so the pre-emergence herbicides do not work, People around here are in for a rude awakening in about 18months. I really only have to deal with it on the new sales. One more question. Have you found that the Drive (Quinclorac) works in one shot or does it take 2-3 sprayings?

FdLLawnMan
01-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Have you found that the Drive (Quinclorac) works in one shot or does it take 2-3 sprayings?

For me it works with one shot. You just have to make sure that you use Methylated Seed Oil with it. Then it works great.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
01-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Ditto, IF you use as directed with methalated seed oil it works great. Any complaints I have heard on it not being effective were because "lesco spreader/sticker" were used.

Rayholio
01-25-2008, 10:10 AM
yeah.. I'm just a little north of ted, and Drive works great!

Shades of Green LService
01-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Drive is my norm. Sometimes i mix in 3 way w/it works well for me. Acclaim is another, works well but don't mix 2-4-d w/it. Also, Acclaim is not labled for KBG.

Victor
01-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Victor,
I was told Dimension only worked on crabgrass up to the 5 leaf stage. It works beyond that?

Sorry Ted. I didn't understand your question. Quinclorac only works up to the 2-3 tiller stage like someone else said. I didn't know how late you were talking about picking these customers up. I've been using Q4 with great success for post em control of crabs. Have you considered Acclaim Extra? While Q4 won't knock out some of the harder to control grassy weeds, Acclaim Extra will. There are a few quirks that come along with using it, but I've seen where some applicators say they love the stuff.

ted putnam
01-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Sorry Ted. I didn't understand your question. Quinclorac only works up to the 2-3 tiller stage like someone else said. I didn't know how late you were talking about picking these customers up. I've been using Q4 with great success for post em control of crabs. Have you considered Acclaim Extra? While Q4 won't knock out some of the harder to control grassy weeds, Acclaim Extra will. There are a few quirks that come along with using it, but I've seen where some applicators say they love the stuff.

Thanks Victor,
I have heard of Acclaim extra. I haven't used it but I will look into it further. It's certainly better than nothing. It'll be bad for us in a couple years. There won't be anyway to clean up some of these lawns (selectively) unless some of these companies come up with some new science or the customers are gunna pay me big bucks to see me on their lawn with a shovel and spade.:laugh: Thanks to you other guys on the methylated seed oil tip. I had heard some people weren't getting the control they thought they should. I bet it was because they were using the sticker.