PDA

View Full Version : Winter is coming

dmk395
10-28-2001, 12:17 PM
I know alot of you plow snow. Is there anyone here that simply lounges around during the winter while living comfortably from a extremely profitable landscaping seasons?

stslawncare
10-28-2001, 12:32 PM
around here we dont get much snow, just cold weather

dhicks
10-28-2001, 02:09 PM
Not enough snow here to buy equipment. I'll work about ten hours per week at Best Buy (b/w vacations) for something to do. Other than that, I'll be speding a few weeks in Canada during November and January, a week in Nashville During December and no plans for February. March, I'll be getting ready to gear-up for the mowing season.

Richard Martin
10-28-2001, 03:26 PM
I work about 10 to 20 hrs a week during the winter. Mostly just to support my bad habits... Coors Light and smokes. I put money away during the year to live on in the winter and pay ahead my insurance, phone, cable, sewer, Directv, newspaper and electricity. Plus I always fill up the fuel oil before the season begins. That way I only have to make the mortgage, mower payments, truck payment, credit cards and buy food. Since the wife has a decent job I kinda take it easy during the winter and try not to work when it too cold outside.

David Haggerty
10-28-2001, 05:21 PM
No snow here either, averages 2 per winter. I try to schedule improvements to the properties in the fall. Had real good luck this fall with core aeration.

A couple of years ago I sold the idea of putting pea gravel with landscape fabric around the foundation of a factory I mow. I havn't had to trim since I installed it.

None of the hourly jobs I find pay anything close to what I can make in the mowing business.

Dave

odin
10-28-2001, 05:30 PM
Myself and my brothers are partners and we are all 30 year men with general motors, even though you can get a lot of snow in winter here in chicago area we only plow two condo lots ,us old guys need the winter to recuparate so all we do is draw our pensions

Diesel
10-28-2001, 05:47 PM
Nice weekend here in Ohio to catch up on. Mowed three yard sunday and blew leaves. Winter is coming I'm afraid.

Lawn DOG
10-28-2001, 09:35 PM
We made so much money this year my accountant told me to not make any more deposits this year. That means I will be taken another vacation. I hear it is real cheap to go to Hawaii :D or maybe I will just go hunting and fishing for a couple of months.

stslawncare
10-28-2001, 09:52 PM
i am doing landscaping till about the mid of November, then doing a few xmas lights, then relax except for when we get snow (not often)

jnjnlc
10-28-2001, 10:15 PM
I take Dec 20 through Jan 5 off (Vacation time, maybe a cruise). It has to be a real emergency for me to work on a lawn. Usually by then all of the leaves are down and removed. I will visit my contract lawns once or twice in Jan and make sure everything is ok and spread lime.. Then in Mid Feb I mowing them once maybe twice. Shortly after that it is time to fertilize again and it all starts over again.

I hope to do a couple of landscaping jobs during the off time. If not I will be at home putting the new kitchen the wife is wanting.

dmk395
10-29-2001, 08:10 AM
Lawn Dog,

Thats an excellent situation to be in.

KerryB
10-29-2001, 09:10 AM
I'm with Jeff, a little mowing, visit my contract sites to blow the lots and pick up trash.
I also do some landscaping and cut trees during the winter.