PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info ????????

kkls2006
01-25-2008, 09:00 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can learn more about landscape lighting?

There must be a million courses, seminars, ect out there, I live in the Western MA area.

Thanx for your help

irrig8r
01-25-2008, 11:00 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can learn more about landscape lighting?

There must be a million courses, seminars, ect out there, I live in the Western MA area.

Thanx for your help

In your area, I'd give Rob DiSchino a call... I'll send a PM with info...

Mayor_tx
01-25-2008, 11:42 AM
Cast is having this seminar next month:

Feb. 26 Mashpee, MA – Cape Cod (8 am to noon)
Introduction to Landscape Lighting Classroom Seminar. Hosted by Stonewood Products - for info and registration, contact Alan Darson at 508-430-5020.

Then they will be having a full, hands-on seminar in April.

check out their schedule at

http://cast-lighting.com/calendar.html

irrig8r
01-25-2008, 12:37 PM
"Meet with a Nightscaping® rep in your area today, get help installing a system tomorrow."

http://www.nightscaping.com/i_want_in.htm

RGM
01-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Home depot has alot of info in the landscape lighting section sometimes they have a free dvd on it

Mayor_tx
01-25-2008, 12:48 PM
I hope you are joking.

irrig8r
01-25-2008, 01:41 PM
Vista puts on a decent introductory seminar, usually for free. Last one I went to they fed us well and gave each attendee $75 worth of coupons towards their products...

Some contractors took their non-English speaking employees along just to get the extra coupons I think... LOL.

Anyway, look here for any in your area. I didn't see any, but it's still early in the season.

http://www.vistapro.com/seminars.aspx#seminarList

They give you a workbook to take home and do hands on stuff with meters.

TXNSLighting
01-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Home depot has alot of info in the landscape lighting section sometimes they have a free dvd on it

i really hope your joking...

Pro-Scapes
01-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Cast is having this seminar next month:

Feb. 26 Mashpee, MA – Cape Cod (8 am to noon)
Introduction to Landscape Lighting Classroom Seminar. Hosted by Stonewood Products - for info and registration, contact Alan Darson at 508-430-5020.

Then they will be having a full, hands-on seminar in April.

check out their schedule at

http://cast-lighting.com/calendar.html

Ok this is my last post for the week since Im running over but what will you possibly learn in 4 hours ? This is probably worse than the DVD at home depot because they actually tell you your ready to use high power devices and send you out to sell lights at 300 bucks a piece. I know this class says its an intro but you can bet no one will tell you that your not ready yet.

Trust me I am all for manufacture and distributors providing education(heck its how I started but i filtered thru the sales pitch and crap) but this is not something you can learn from 8am til noon. Sheesh you aint even finished introductions and donuts in thoes 4 hours let alone had time for your noodle to absorb all the information. If you go thats fine but let it serve as only an introduction and dont by any means think after a 4 hour "seminar" your ready to do lighting. This really hits a sore spot with me because last night we were at an establishment where someone who took one of thoes seminars had a trans mounted in plain view and well lights unburied and glaring in every direction under some windmill palms. You could barley see these things. I can promise you that property owner has bad thoughs about low voltage lighting now.

Nightscaping ???? meet a rep and be installing tmrw ? This is much much better... NOT. Unbelivable.

Sorry for the rant. You can take my soapbox now.

Mike M
01-27-2008, 05:25 PM
Okay Billy, I'm with you. Starting...

...now

extlights
01-27-2008, 05:31 PM
I agree with Billy. There is a difference between going to one of these seminars to getting a basic understanding of lvl, and actually knowing how to properly install a quality system. There are parts of this business that realistically can't be learned in a class or seminar. As in any business or work environment there will be obsticals out in the field that they can't or won't teach at a seminar.

I would never tell anyone who is new in this business to not go to a seminar. Anywhere you can gain knowledge is only going to help you in the future, but just don't think that because you attended one or 2 seminars that you're automatically a lvl professional. Read books, maybe go out in the field a few times with a pro and attend those seminars.

Also before you do anything, practice on your own home, a friends home or a relatives home. Find what works best for you. Practice different techniques, use different lamps and fixtures so you know what the best application for each are. Practice getting the correct voltages to each lamp and make sure they are balanced! Hands on experience is more valuable than anything you can get at a seminar, read from a book or watch on a dvd....and by all means, don't rush into it. Make sure you know what your doing before you're out trying to sell and install a system. You and your customers will benefit from it.

JoeyD
01-29-2008, 11:02 AM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/education/Bookpage.html

start right here, then call me if you are serious. Forget about a seminar for a second. Get this book, read then decide if you want to go to a seminar. we can provide you with the best education on outdoor low voltage lighting out there, and I will say it again...THE BEST!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Chill Joey :laugh:.... keep it to your sponsored forum man! :hammerhead:

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing!

:drinkup:

JoeyD
01-29-2008, 12:12 PM
well crap, no one pumped me out there. We do have some of the best trainign and educational material around!! But I will try to keep my self centered posts to a min....I am going to spend more time on the Unique forum, updating and adding good stuff!! So keep your eyes open over there!!

TXNSLighting
01-29-2008, 03:02 PM
like the demo kit video??

JoeyD
01-29-2008, 03:44 PM
oh damn Ryan, your killing me witht hat video. It is on my list. I thank you for not letting it die!!

steveparrott
01-29-2008, 04:56 PM
we can provide you with the best education on outdoor low voltage lighting out there, and I will say it again...THE BEST!

Quite a claim, one that could be contested by the AOLP, Jan Moyer and CAST.

JoeyD
01-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Quite a claim, one that could be contested by the AOLP, Jan Moyer and CAST.

Were always up for a challenge. :laugh:

Jan Moyer is in a separate category all to her own, and I say that with the up most respect for her and her teaching and skills. Maybe things have changed now but I know Nate used to teach her technical seminars, that was where he first started and had the idea for developing and using the HUB SYSTEM. He hasn't for a few years (taught at her class) now but she did invite him this last week to participate at an upcoming class she is doing. Most of the customers we rely on that participate here and attend our courses would have a hard time understanding her complicated design techniques and strategies. Those classes in my opinion are for the highly advanced professional and are geared more for the DESIGNER and not so much the Designer/Installer. (Correct me if I am wrong, I am going by multiple attendee feedback.)

CAST....You guys definitely do a hell of a job, my hats off to you Steve as I feel your knowledge of the landscape lighting industry is superior to most and your CAST courses are better than most but..........................................................well lets just say we (Unique) set the bar for training years ago and I would find it hard to think that someone can out class us when it comes to design, technical, troubleshooting, experience, application, and system development. We are not and never will be a company that is ever satisfied, our classes are ever evolving and not one is ever the same as the next. Our hands on advanced courses are designed to give the experienced installer ideas and skills that he has not yet used and or seen done. I am sure you and others may disagree but like I said, we are always up for a challenge!!

Nate and I have discussed a manufacturer design showdown for years but we just doubt anyone else would participate.....Now before anyone thinks this is arrogant of me to say let me just say that we just feel like we can and do produce some of the best training and educational materials out there. Now there is tons that other manufacturers have to offer, things that are better than maybe what we have, but when it comes to an overall system, products, education, support in the field, and support in the classroom I feel like Unique Lighting Systems sets the bar!

If I seem a bit harsh here it is only because we have been on the other side of the fence of this industry for so long. Some view us an unprofessional, those are usually those who don't give us the time to really get to know what we are really all about. Once you do you will find that we are all about innovation and progression and come from the field not necessarily a college classroom. Leave out LED's and look back the last 10 years and you will see the mark Unique has left on this industry, from the Multi-Tap Transformer to the Hub System, to Life Time Warranties, to training, Brass and Copper awareness....and the list goes on. You would be a fool to not at least check us out for yourself to see what we could do for you as a customer.

My fingers are cramping.........I really do appreciate all you do Steve and I hear nothing but positives about you and CAST, this is not an attack only a passionate response that I am sure you can respect. We share a lot of the same principals and opinions we just happen to be on 2 different sides of the ball, sort of like us being the Patriots and your the Giants....2 deserving teams set to battle it out. May the better team win!

Respectfully,

Joey D.

TXNSLighting
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
oh damn Ryan, your killing me witht hat video. It is on my list. I thank you for not letting it die!!

Ha! your welcome!! Thats what im here for!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-29-2008, 08:38 PM
Hey Gregg C. (you are my go-to guy for archived information). When did Nightscaping introduce its Lifetime Warranty on it's line of Powercenter Transformers? I know it was more then 10 years ago that is for darned sure.

And their lifetime warranty on their "Brass Master" line of fixtures? Certainly long ago...

How about the introduction of Nightscaping University? (An intensive, hands on, multiple day training program first offered at the Factory, then later being delivered at various locations on a regular basis) I am pretty sure that was an original Nightscaping idea too.

Might as well give credit where credit is due dontchya think? :)
(If I am wrong on this stuff, I will be the first to admit my mistake, promise.)

Eden Lights
01-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Were always up for a challenge. :laugh:

Jan Moyer is in a separate category all to her own, and I say that with the up most respect for her and her teaching and skills. Maybe things have changed now but I know Nate used to teach her technical seminars, that was where he first started and had the idea for developing and using the HUB SYSTEM. He hasn't for a few years (taught at her class) now but she did invite him this last week to participate at an upcoming class she is doing. Most of the customers we rely on that participate here and attend our courses would have a hard time understanding her complicated design techniques and strategies. Those classes in my opinion are for the highly advanced professional and are geared more for the DESIGNER and not so much the Designer/Installer. (Correct me if I am wrong, I am going by multiple attendee feedback. Joey D.

You are Wrong! JMHO

pete scalia
01-29-2008, 09:22 PM
I think Unique is rightfully entitled to bragging rights here. Cast is good for trying to convert every landscaper under the sun to install lighting. Sharing photos with anyone who asks. pretty unethical if you ask me to represet work that is not your own. You kicked Nightscaping to the curb on LI and now they don't even have a place to call their own here. Please close shop and go out of business Cast and do us serious players on LI a favor.

JoeyD
01-29-2008, 09:32 PM
You are Wrong! JMHO

Fair enough. I am sure there are some who would thrive on her teaching and I am confident that there would be some who would feel like she is over complicating things. Her designs are wonderful and she has brilliant speaking abilities. This is not about Jan Moyer as much as it as about offering the Landscape Lighting Contrctor training courses that will allow you to imediately apply to your everyday work. That is all I am saying. But I stand corrected and I am fine with that.

James, I agree that Nightscaping may have been the first with doing some of those things and they too do a great job. NS never promoted those brass lines like their primary lines. Those life time warranties were used sparingly, 90% of our products (fixtures and transformers) are and always have been life time warrantied. Multi Tap's , Hub Wireing, and advanced training were really brought full force to the lighting market by Unique. How many companies are copying Nightscapings products and buisness models compared to Unique's, we are the premier lighting company, you have to ask why?

Respectfully,

Joey D.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-29-2008, 09:56 PM
James, I agree that Nightscaping may have been the first with doing some of those things and they too do a great job. NS never promoted those brass lines like their primary lines. Those life time warranties were used sparingly

Joey, buddy, friend... we have broke bread together, we have sipped from the Margarita glass beside one another, let us now proceed forth with clarity and truth as our guide......

Saying Nightscaping has never promoted their lifetime warrantied brass line is just crazy talk man. And as for using life time warranties sparingly... well that is just funny. Perhaps they were used sparingly because they haven't had to be used? (Nate himself said it best. A warranty is just a death certificate delivered in advance. {See, I was listening})

Nightscaping has always promoted and stood behind their brass. Heck they have always promoted and stood behind every product they made. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the Founder himself, Bill, state that Nightscaping will always stand behind their products no matter what. They will not leave a good contractor in the lurch. I have no reason to doubt that at all. I recall a couple of years ago getting warranty replacement on a fixture that I came across that was more then 10 years old, and installed by an unknown... I called, reported the problem and they covered it.... no questions asked. That is the beauty behind the philosophy "Friends doing business with Friends"

As we speak our friend Billy is dealing with Nightscaping in regards to a warranty issue he has discovered in his market. Perhaps in a couple of days he will be so kind as to report to us all how that situation has been resolved.

Have a great night

:canadaflag::):usflag:

pete scalia
01-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Joey, buddy, friend... we have broke bread together, we have sipped from the Margarita glass beside one another, let us now proceed forth with clarity and truth as our guide......

Saying Nightscaping has never promoted their lifetime warrantied brass line is just crazy talk man. And as for using life time warranties sparingly... well that is just funny. Perhaps they were used sparingly because they haven't had to be used? (Nate himself said it best. A warranty is just a death certificate delivered in advance. {See, I was listening})

Nightscaping has always promoted and stood behind their brass. Heck they have always promoted and stood behind every product they made. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard the Founder himself, Bill, state that Nightscaping will always stand behind their products no matter what. They will not leave a good contractor in the lurch. I have no reason to doubt that at all. I recall a couple of years ago getting warranty replacement on a fixture that I came across that was more then 10 years old, and installed by an unknown... I called, reported the problem and they covered it.... no questions asked. That is the beauty behind the philosophy "Friends doing business with Friends"

As we speak our friend Billy is dealing with Nightscaping in regards to a warranty issue he has discovered in his market. Perhaps in a couple of days he will be so kind as to report to us all how that situation has been resolved.

Have a great night

:canadaflag::):usflag:

I will concur about the warranty. Pete has had more Nightscaping rusted fixtures replaced in his day then he cares to talk about. Not much anymore because it's nearly extinct here. So I think I agee with Mr. Solecki.
Is this a first?

irrig8r
01-29-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey Gregg C. (you are my go-to guy for archived information). When did Nightscaping introduce its Lifetime Warranty on it's line of Powercenter Transformers? I know it was more then 10 years ago that is for darned sure.

And their lifetime warranty on their "Brass Master" line of fixtures? Certainly long ago...

How about the introduction of Nightscaping University? (An intensive, hands on, multiple day training program first offered at the Factory, then later being delivered at various locations on a regular basis) I am pretty sure that was an original Nightscaping idea too.

Might as well give credit where credit is due dontchya think? :)
(If I am wrong on this stuff, I will be the first to admit my mistake, promise.)

My Nightscaping newsletter collection only goes back as far as July 1995, and they were mentioning the T-1000-SS (in the pre-modular design) and it's lifetime warranty, but I believe it went back before that to the version of the Powercenter that had the aircraft latch and the timer door that opened on the top. So, somewhere between 1990 and 1995.

And the Brassmaster line probably came out between 1995 and 1999.

BTW, FX made the first multitap transformer I ever saw: 11,12, 13 and 14 V. I installed my first FX MT-300 in 1996.

The handbook for the first Nightscaping seminar I took has a August 1985 copyright. I did the two day seminar in 1989...

Funny thing too, I found a hand written notation I made from 1989 that said Jan Moyer was teaching lighting seminars thru University Of California Extension in Berkeley...

JoeyD
01-30-2008, 09:55 AM
Guys let me just say this, I am not trying to take away from NS or Moyer although I think you will have a hard time showing me one contractor that credits there successes and knowledge to Jan Moyer. I am certainly not claiming we were the first at everything. But I have been completely immersed in this low voltage lighting market for quite some time now and if I was to ask majority of the contractors out there about there feelings on NS they would bring up aluminum fixtures and poorley wired systems. I know you guys have different views and have been very succesfull with their products, many have, but I have not developed these opinions and views based off of anything else than customer feedback. Many of my customers are former NS and FX customers.

My point was not to argue anything other than Unique providing the best training and education, I dont care what they did first. Whatever they did it wasnt good enough to keep us from not thriving and being completely different with our apporach and it has worked so well that many of company have modeled their own after it. Nate founded this company out of a need. We changed the way people view their lighting systems designs and installs.

You can argue with me all you want on this and that, you can argue preference and what you know. But come to one of our classes and tell me they teach what we do. Tell me they have the technical field experience we do. Tell me that they change, adapt, grow, and drive this industry like we do. If we didnt come around to change things I bet lighting would still be in the same old rut it was in before we came into being the premier low voltage lighting manufacturer we are today.

This is all good stuff guys, please dont let this upset you, as I respect you for your individual comapany passion I hope you respect mine.