PDA

View Full Version : Utility Trailer Recommendation

DA Quality Lawn & YS
01-25-2008, 12:55 PM
This coming season will be my 2nd season in business. Last season I mowed my accts with 21" Toro SR so a trailer was not required for me to do business. I would like to step up to a trailer for next season, to take some direct wear off my vehicle. I will still have the 21" mower, blower, trimmer + I am thinking of purchasing a Quick 36 mower as well. Goal of mowing 10-12 weekly accts. I also do shrub/tree trimming, some landscaping work, and dry fert.

What do you all think as far as size of trailer I would need? Is std 5x8 doable?
Any recommendations on manufacturer or type of trailer (wood sides, tilt, etc)?
Also important - do these 5x8 trailers generally come with brakes/lights or is it a good idea to make sure the trailer has these features? If so, will need to get my Ford Escape wired up as well. Thanks all!

Raven386
01-25-2008, 01:00 PM
5X8 trailers do not come with brakes. they do come with lights though. I wish I had gotten a bigger trailer. I have a 6X14... a 7X16 wouldve been nice. at the least a 7X14. HD and Lowes sell that size (5X8) for probably in the range of $600-$900. Lowes sells Carry-On I beleive. I dont know who HD deals with. If you are planning on growing your business, I'd say get a bigger trailer. So you can atleast fit a Z on there if you ever buy one. or 2 w/bs.

tamo
01-25-2008, 01:51 PM
This coming season will be my 2nd season in business. Last season I mowed my accts with 21" Toro SR so a trailer was not required for me to do business. I would like to step up to a trailer for next season, to take some direct wear off my vehicle. I will still have the 21" mower, blower, trimmer + I am thinking of purchasing a Quick 36 mower as well. Goal of mowing 10-12 weekly accts. I also do shrub/tree trimming, some landscaping work, and dry fert.

What do you all think as far as size of trailer I would need? Is std 5x8 doable?
Any recommendations on manufacturer or type of trailer (wood sides, tilt, etc)?
Also important - do these 5x8 trailers generally come with brakes/lights or is it a good idea to make sure the trailer has these features? If so, will need to get my Ford Escape wired up as well. Thanks all!

I'm going through a similar situation as you right now though I had a 4x8 trailer last year (my 1st).

I'm having a 6x10 trailer custom-made. Right now I only have 2 21's but hopefully I'll get enough new business this spring to justify a Quick 36 or 44. the 6' across will allow me to put a 36 side by side with a 21.

Most folks on here will say get as big as you can afford and that's good advice. I'm already one year in and getting a new trailer.

As for where to get it, I'm getting mine custom done. A trailer is a pretty good size investment and you'll be using it every day. I want something that is going to make my life easier, not just a regular trailer. Mine will have 2 trimmer racks, a ladder rack, space for tools, and a tool baskets. Plus it has 4 ft. sides that will help with cleanups ect. I found my guy by looking at other companies trailers at the dump and asking them where they got it.

After one year in I've found most times it better to spend a little more money upfront rather than replace later on.

good luck

grass_cuttin_fool
01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
A 10 foot is the bare minimum in my opinion....I would go no less than 12 foot.....I dont know how many people have bought a 10 foot trailer and then find out later on that a z and walkbehind wont fit on it with out turning the walkbehind side ways or something. That gets old quick.....A walkbehind and Z take about 11 foot.

Even if you say you will never need 12 feet think about if you want to sell it......the 12 footer would re-sale better for the same reasons

wayne