some use a little tape recorder (i like that
idea)
is that recorder a time saver?
now on the calculator there are memory
buttons any of you know hopw they work?
ant

Guido
10-28-2001, 03:13 PM
"just pace it out" like they will......that won't save any time...it actually will take more time than with the wheel!!

He has to walk to pace it out so he may as well have the wheel by his side. He can actually pace faster with the wheel because he's not counting in his head and paying attention to the size paces he's taking.

There's not much more you can do to speed it up. A recorder would probobly help out because you could be talking into it as you go like "dog poop all over the place" or "swingset and sandbox to trim around", etc. You can later listen to the tape to speed up your estimate.

This may be more trouble than its worth though. Read the post I made in the elements of business forum about measuring and time trials or something like that, maybe it will help you with some ideas.

MuskTurfKing
10-28-2001, 03:32 PM
Measuring for mowing? Ah, too much work, I'm ghetto and eyeball it.

Hank

Guido
10-28-2001, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by MuskTurfKing
Measuring for mowing? Ah, too much work, I'm ghetto and eyeball it.

Hank

Thats one way to save some time! :rolleyes:

;)

Hardy Enterprises
10-29-2001, 01:03 AM
Does anybody else use aerial photos for large commercial bidding?

Jay

Guido
10-29-2001, 05:04 AM
a friend of mine I met on here, used them for plowing. I don't think he visits this side to often anymore but you can find him at the SIMA forum or plowsite.com. I know for a fact he's used them.

Hope this helps!

Schlepie
10-29-2001, 01:47 PM
I still use my measure wheel on some new accounts. I can eyeball them just about right, but its nice to know sqft for when aplying ferts, etc.

plymouthvaliant73
10-29-2001, 04:36 PM
Eyeball the small and routine jobs, measure the big ones.
A wrong estimate is not worth the time you might save.
I have never been able to work those memory buttons:dizzy:

65hoss
10-29-2001, 05:54 PM
In this area we have 3 types of average subdivision type lawns. I can look at them and know within a few sf what they are. No big deal on these type lawns. Lawns that have more trimming, edging or out of the ordinary I will use my measuring wheel. For seeding or fert. I always measure. No taking chances there.

Dochere
10-29-2001, 06:27 PM
I don't think the tape recorder saves any time because you still have to listen to it to get the measurements you just took. Writing it down is also easier to find a mistake if something doesn't seem right. It is nice it the rain and wind though, much easier than wet and blowing paper.

Blade
11-23-2001, 10:08 PM
I think eyeballing the lawn will save you the most time. It you do it often enough you should be able to judge within 1-2k sq.ft.

If you sprayers or spreaders are calibrated it's not going to be significant difference. It really depends on the calibration of the equipment.

Hope this is helpful.

Kent Lawns
11-23-2001, 10:15 PM
1-2000 sq. ft.?

What? On a 6,000 sq. ft. house lawn?
If you're that close on a 11 acre apartment complex or 5 acre commercial site, then you're in the wrong profession.

I say get a Laser range finder like hunters and golfers use: Stand in 1 spot and grab LxW and do it again in the back yard.

PaulJ
11-24-2001, 01:05 AM
Lately, I've been measuring the whole lot, then measure the house, garage, landscaping. Then I subtract that sq/ft from the total. I can usualy do this with less actual measurments and can work with just a few regulare shapes which makes it easier and faster.:D :D

MuskTurfKing
11-24-2001, 01:57 AM
I am going to measure everything next year, I just need to figure out what to charge per square foot. I plan on figuring it out this winter, I want to be accurate and professional. I always tend to say something to low when I eyeball. The nerves get to me and I want the job...oh well.

Hank

kutnkru
11-24-2001, 07:17 PM
Just add one of these to your mower and then you can measure while you cut your perimeter cut. :)

http://www.nu-metrics.com/pages/products/05_nite_gps.html

Blade
11-25-2001, 02:00 PM
Yeah Kent, should of been more specific. 90% of the lawns we spray are residential 6-8k sqft.

Fantasy Lawns
11-25-2001, 03:29 PM
I'm super lazy .....find your local property tax collectors web site

from there you'll have access to public info ..... such as property "plat" map .... which has the builder's property plan, exterior property measurements - home measurements should give a "good idea" of size for mowing time ...most have an aerial photo as well ....not as nice as mapquest color although

NOT an exact # but a quick working # ....but nothing is going to replace true measuring for chemical numbers

also good way to get great info on the owner ..... such as a lien, home value .... are they the Real owner

lawnranger
11-25-2001, 03:41 PM
I have no idea how i do it...:) But Man. I dont work big lawns. Each lawn $40.00 or more depends on degrre of difficulty. I wont spend more than 35 minutes @ a house... I like small lawns. I have plenty of work. they pay better. Lawnranger

HBFOXJr
11-25-2001, 04:41 PM
I've seen some stuff advertised I don't know where for doing optical measurements. Just aim and shoot kinda. We should do some searching for this stuff.

Island Lawn
11-25-2001, 07:11 PM
You can buy lasers to measure distance if you want to!

I can't spend that kind of jack for measuring lots
I thought I was biting a bullit when I forked over $75 for a wheel!

BTW, the fastest waty to do it is...
DO IT RIGHT!
Then you won't have to do it again!

Although... I do remember...
"Measure twice, cut once!"
Oh wait, that was a former life...
:alien: