PDA

View Full Version : cost per thousand

silverscapes
01-25-2008, 05:20 PM
what are you guys charging per 1000sq just trying to make sure i'm in the right ball park:usflag:

RigglePLC
01-25-2008, 07:42 PM
Secret. And besides, if you discuss prices the FBI could arrest you for price-fixing and collusion. Nevertheless, I have a stop charge, and a price per thousand,(which includes cost of chemical and the labor to apply it.) If you charge about what the major players charge you will be in the ball park.

silverscapes
01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
so is 5.00 a thousand in the ball park

rcreech
01-25-2008, 10:39 PM
so is 5.00 a thousand in the ball park

Depends on where you live and what your costs are!

You need to know two things to set your price:

1) Know all your costs
2) Know how much profit you want to make

You can't really worry about what anyone else is charging.

EXAMPLE

If you were to use a guys prices that bought his inputs cheap, didn't have much overhead, and equipment was all paid for.

vs.

You are buying all inputs in season, renting a building, paying for a truck and equipment etc.... then you will be screwed!

See what I mean?

Whitey4
01-25-2008, 10:51 PM

1) Know all your costs

EXAMPLE

If you were to use a guys prices that bought his inputs cheap, didn't have much overhead, and equipment was all paid for.

vs.

You are buying all inputs in season, renting a building, paying for a truck and equipment etc.... then you will be screwed!

See what I mean?

Rodney, I could NOT disagree more! I don't care what the business is, knowing what the competition is chraging is of the UTMOST importance! This guy asked if 5/k is OK? Geeze, material cost alone is gonna be around 2/1k!

Even on 1000 acres, 5/1k is too low! Good grief! Sorry if I am over reacting, but this is a diseased toothless street ho's price for a small area applicator. Maybe I need a beer....

ted putnam
01-25-2008, 11:01 PM

1) Know all your costs

EXAMPLE

vs.

See what I mean?

Rodney, sometimes you crack me up...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ted putnam
01-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Rodney, I could NOT disagree more! I don't care what the business is, knowing what the competition is chraging is of the UTMOST importance! This guy asked if 5/k is OK? Geeze, material cost alone is gonna be around 2/1k!

Even on 1000 acres, 5/1k is too low! Good grief! Sorry if I am over reacting, but this is a diseased toothless street ho's price for a small area applicator. Maybe I need a beer....

Whitey, you're cracking me up even more.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ted putnam
01-25-2008, 11:07 PM
silver, you need to start with a minimum price and go up in increments from there. I mean...an AC repairman's going to charge you a service call fee even if all he does is tighten a screw with a screwdriver. Don't short change yourself....

grassguy_
01-25-2008, 11:09 PM

LOL, wow is there a IMUS in the House??...JK....Well, probably not on Long Island is $5/M enough, but in many markets $5.00 isn't that far off! Now likewise if your paying $2/M for Material then $5/M isn't going to be enough, but most here in Ohio aren't quite at $2.00 mark.............YET! LOL

ted putnam
01-25-2008, 11:16 PM
LOL, wow is there a IMUS in the House??...JK....Well, probably not on Long Island is $5/M enough, but in many markets $5.00 isn't that far off! Now likewise if your paying $2/M for Material then $5/M isn't going to be enough, but most here in Ohio aren't quite at $2.00 mark.............YET! LOL

My point with the minimum. Of course, if you'll do 3k for under 15 bucks, I'd be glad to hire you to do my lawns and I'll watch.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

ted putnam
01-25-2008, 11:38 PM
C'mon now...I was just kidding. Whitey did really crack me up though....

Whitey4
01-25-2008, 11:41 PM

Yeah, I'm getin a bit squirrly latey! :blob2:

These guys with the "undocumented workers" charge 20 a cut for 3-4k, and 40 for ferts and apps. Those prices haven't moved in over a decade here. Based on recent Lesco prices, my material costs were going to run over $2/k. My new supplier is closer to the 1.50 to 1.75 range, but still, is $5/k a going price anywhere?

I do play some numbers games... as a small volume solo, I buy straight fert for spring. Then, the customers that don't want any herbicides and my regulars get the same stuff. Then I go back to my apps customer a few weeks later with pendi. Just makes life a bit more simple. I would only quote $10/k for customers that I will do annual plantings for. I come in at $45 for all the others, over 4k, it's more.

BTW, I miss ol Mr Imus. He called a spade a spade. Uh-oh... did I just get in trouble?

ted putnam
01-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Yeah, I'm getin a bit squirrly latey! :blob2:

These guys with the "undocumented workers" charge 20 a cut for 3-4k, and 40 for ferts and apps. Those prices haven't moved in over a decade here. Based on recent Lesco prices, my material costs were going to run over $2/k. My new supplier is closer to the 1.50 to 1.75 range, but still, is $5/k a going price anywhere?

I do play some numbers games... as a small volume solo, I buy straight fert for spring. Then, the customers that don't want any herbicides and my regulars get the same stuff. Then I go back to my apps customer a few weeks later with pendi. Just makes life a bit more simple. I would only quote $10/k for customers that I will do annual plantings for. I come in at $45 for all the others, over 4k, it's more.

BTW, I miss ol Mr Imus. He called a spade a spade. Uh-oh... did I just get in trouble?

Man, I need to come up your way Whitey. Little postage stamp yards for big $$$. I charge more than the Ohio guys per acre but you're makin the Jack. You go boy! Now I see why you want to be a Brain Surgeon!:laugh::laugh:

Whitey4
01-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Man, I need to come up your way Whitey. Little postage stamp yards for big $$$. I charge more than the Ohio guys per acre but you're makin the Jack. You go boy! Now I see why you want to be a Brain Surgeon!:laugh::laugh:

Well, you have to remember that the cost of living here is also through the roof! On these little postage stamp properties, an unimproved, undormered Cape Cod runs about 375k, and the property taxes would be around 7k per year. That's as cheap as you could buy a house for here.

It's very competitive. That's why the big LCO's almost have to use undocumented workers, legals simply have to get paid to much. They only have their crew foreman on payroll and paying taxes. The illegals live in the bad areas, and live 10 to 20 in a house. They line up in the supermarkets wiring money back to their family and relatives. These workers don't WANT to be legal... it's too expensive.

I see VERY few spray trucks around here. The size of the properties doesn't make it economically feasable or very efficient. The spray trucks for the most part are used by the tree companies but their toolboxes are almost empty with all the stuff that's gotten prohibited here.

Heck, my county Consumer Affairs business license cost me $450! Another $450 to have my business registered to apply in the state! Nevermind insurance. Someone has to pay for all that, and it gets passed on to the home owner.

I guess things are very different elsewhere....

rcreech
01-26-2008, 09:26 PM

Whitey,

I am not sure what you are disagreeing with? What did I say to disagree with on my post? I just stated the facts!

I know what you are saying...but too often we talk about prices on here but we really can't as there are just too many variables!

Knowing what your LOCAL competitors charge vs asking people on LawnSite is totally different!

I know exactly what my local competitors prices are, but I am not going to ask you all if I am charging enough, because it won't help me! I have to know what my costs are, what margins are needed and what the area can handle.

If I charged your prices in OH I would be out of business in early March (due to losing every customer). If you charged my prices in NY you would go bankrupt (due to all the stuff you have to go through and higher prices)!

I make AWESOME money and I am nowhere near $5/K on my big lawns! But my costs are much lower and I do about 550 acres a year of lawns a year.

So all I am saying is...nobody can say that $5/K is a good or bad price without knowing ones cost?

Whitey4
01-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Whitey,

I am not sure what you are disagreeing with? What did I say to disagree with on my post? I just stated the facts!

I know what you are saying...but too often we talk about prices on here but we really can't as there are just too many variables!

Knowing what your LOCAL competitors charge vs asking people on LawnSite is totally different!

I know exactly what my local competitors prices are, but I am not going to ask you all if I am charging enough, because it won't help me! I have to know what my costs are, what margins are needed and what the area can handle.

If I charged your prices in OH I would be out of business in early March (due to losing every customer). If you charged my prices in NY you would go bankrupt (due to all the stuff you have to go through and higher prices)!

I make AWESOME money and I am nowhere near $5/K on my big lawns! But my costs are much lower and I do about 550 acres a year of lawns a year.

So all I am saying is...nobody can say that $5/K is a good or bad price without knowing ones cost?

Yer absolutely right, Rodney. It's taking a little while to soak into my thick skull, but where one is located makes a huge difference, not only in competitive market rates, but in terms of what equipment and even what materials one uses. Anything less than $10/k here is lowballing. If it's a big property, then that number gets lower of course.

rcreech
01-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Yer absolutely right, Rodney. It's taking a little while to soak into my thick skull, but where one is located makes a huge difference, not only in competitive market rates, but in terms of what equipment and even what materials one uses. Anything less than $10/k here is lowballing. If it's a big property, then that number gets lower of course.

I know! I was the same way and finally learned not too long ago that we just can't talk about prices on here!

I always said most on here were charging too much...but then when I heard of all the expenses and overhead of most, I see why you guys charge what you do!

So that is why I just stated in my first post to stick with the basics when setting price (cost and margin) instead of asking us on LS.