PDA

View Full Version : sharpening hedge trimmers

jaybee
10-28-2001, 05:07 PM
I've heard different opinions on weather or not to sharpen dull hedge trimmer blades. Some say to just buy new ones and throw the dull blades away. I used my dremmel and sharpened each blade today. Haven't tried them yet but they look good. Anybody have any luck using this sharpening method? Low speed so the temper in the steel remains.

1grnlwn
10-28-2001, 06:32 PM
Sharpen away, there is little, if any temper in them anyway. I used a file. Boy there are a lot of little cutting edges on a 30" double sided hedge trimmer aren't there.

stslawncare
10-28-2001, 06:51 PM
perfect timing, today i was just thinking about getting all my hand tools and hedge trimmer blades sharpened. i do not do any of my own sharpening yet, i have a friend who does it for free, and also a good cheap dealers. how many of you guys sharpen ur hand pruners hedge trimmers etc.??? do your dealers offer that service also? or do u go out and buy new ones?

Runner
10-28-2001, 07:36 PM
All of my hedge saws have been sharpened numerous times. I couldn't even imagine buying new all the time. This would be like buying new mower blades all the time, instead of sharpening them, only a bit more expensive than a set of mower blades.

eskals
10-28-2001, 07:38 PM
I'll tell you one thing about hand pruners. I usually buy the cheapest ones at Home Depot. I seem to lose them all the time! I'd rather lose a $7 pair than a $25pair.

I should probably buy more expensive pairs and do a better job of hanging on to them, but I just can't seem to not misplace these things. I take good care of all my tools, but those darn pruners have legs!

Eric

Likestomow
10-28-2001, 08:04 PM
I sharpen mine using my 4" grinder. I take the blades off the machine and clamp them to the top rail on my trailer. Then, carefully and lightly, I touch the beveled edge of the blades to restore the edge. It takes a little while to get the feel for doing this, but if you have a steady hand, the result will be amazing. Last winter I did my hedge trimmer and my extended hedge trimmer both at the same time, and that was a little hard on the arm muscles, but doing one at a time isn't that bad. Oh, after completing the job, just run a flat file across the bottom to remove the burr and then watch how easily they slice through the most difficult trimming jobs.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
10-28-2001, 08:15 PM
I did my hedge trimmers a few months back with a hand file , It was the most horrible thing I have ever done. Worse than scrapeing poop off the bottom of the mower deck... It took me almost a week to do my two trimmers, little bit each night.. never again...... How easy was the dremel method.. the angle grinder scares me.. I would probably cut the 30" down to 15" if I tried it that way... LOL

Island Lawn
10-28-2001, 08:36 PM
Sharpening Hedge Trimmers!

I haven't figured this out yet myself.

Currently, I touch up with a hand file on the flat edges and then lube them before each use. That way I'm just touching up rather than full blown sharpening.
(I don't worry about the curves, cause thats not the cutting edge)

I've thought about 4" grinder. My dealer uses one with a jig.

Also considerd dremel, and even rotozip.

Likestomow
10-28-2001, 08:47 PM
I first tried the Dremmel tool, but found it took way to long and wouldn't take enough material off to create a sharp edge. Don't be afraid of using a 4" grinder. Just go slow and use a light touch. After a few tries the angle will be perfect and you won't have to think too much before doing each one. What do you have to lose? If it's dull, it's junk anyway!

Jerrys Lawn Service
10-28-2001, 09:14 PM
We always use a Dremmel tool with a cone shaped stone, we can sharpen a trimmer in about 30 min and they turn out just fine.
Jerry

gogetter
10-28-2001, 09:32 PM
There's some gadget that I always see in those Harbor Freight, or Northern Tool catalogs that is for sharpening hedge trimmer blades.
Of course, now I can't find it! But check thier web sites.

gogetter
10-28-2001, 11:30 PM
Harbor Freight has it. I've seen it in thier catalogs several times, but the photo was always too small to figure out how it worked.
But the photo on the web site is larger. So it looks kinda like a Dremel type of thing but with a guide of some sort on it presumably to give you the right angle for sharpening.

Anyone using one of these?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44587

Turfcouncil
10-29-2001, 12:01 AM
I have used something similiar that harbor freight on a chain saw but I think it would be too small for a hedge trimmer. 4"grinder works great. I had to replace my blades on my Echo hc1500 cost 95$ I ran over it with my mower and bent the blades straight up at a perfect 90 deg angle(long story)But I have since sharpened them at least 4 times and they work great.

HOMER
10-29-2001, 07:06 AM
I've used a file and a dremmel, either way takes a little time but it sure is worth it when you put them to use.

Runner
10-29-2001, 02:00 PM
I have one of these chain sharpening tools, and it works great. It has a jig built on to it so the angle is always proper and consistent. I've never used it on my hedge saws, though. I know there must be a jig or some other kind of attachment available for tools like the Dremel. I always just have this guy that has a sharpening shop in his house do my hedgesaws. He charges me a whopping seven bucks, per saw, and they are done perfect every time.

Dochere
10-29-2001, 03:19 PM
We have an old retired guy that every once in a while, comes around with an old push type knife grinding cart, with a foot operated sharpening stone on it and some various other sharpening apparatuses. I brought him out my tanaka hedger, and after looking at it puzzled for a while, he sat down on his little bench and went to work. About 30 min later, he came to my door with a perfectly sharp tanaka hedger, and asked me for 5 dollars. Can't wait for him to come around again!

Mowman
10-29-2001, 06:54 PM
I let the guy that sharpens my mower blades sharpen mine. Double 24" blades cost me $10.00 to have done. Cost of new Husky blades are $100.00. I bought the second set this year so I'd have 2 sets so I don't need to RUSH him to get them sharpened. He cleans, sharpen's and paints the blades for $10.00. For that I can't PISS away my time to do it.
Maybe some other's charge more though. But like I said for what he charges I can't see buying a machine or taking the time to do it myself.

Mowman

gogetter
10-29-2001, 08:10 PM
Mowman, why does he paint them? They aren't even painted when new. Wouldn't the paint take away from the new sharp edge anyway?

Dochere, PLEASE tell me you gave the old guy a couple extra $.

Mowman
10-29-2001, 08:20 PM
He paints them cause they clean-up better before sharpening them. He paints them before he sharpens them. I have noticed that the grass does not seem to stick to them as much.
Hope this answers your question. Yes, I do TIP him well for a job well done and always give him more for RUSH jobs.

Mowman

Dochere
10-29-2001, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by gogetter

Dochere, PLEASE tell me you gave the old guy a couple extra $.

LOL!, yes i gave him a $20, he refused to take it, so i gave him a $10, he tried to refuse that but I told him that it would have cost me that to do it up town, and he saved me a trip. I have to get a picture next time hes around.

Henry
10-29-2001, 09:51 PM
I've been using the 4" grinder for years. I do all mine without removing the blades from the body. I do this after 5-6 jobs, depending on the amount of shrubs. I couldn't imagine throwing them out when they dull.