PDA

View Full Version : Trailer ramp weight ratings

Juan_Deere
01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
I was wondering how many of you disregard the trailer ramp weight ratings when shopping for a trailer? I am looking to get an enclosed 7x16 enclosed with ramp when funds allow and the prices seem to be all over the place, although the construction of these appears to be similar. I find that many sellers list some of details, as far 16 or 24 on center, axle types and weights, etc. But I haven't seen any list the ramp weight ratings. If I am not mistaken, until you get into car haulers, or dedicated "landscape" trailers(read:big money) it seems like most trailers come standard with 1000 pound ramps. Has anyone found these to be a problem with let's say 1200 to 1300 pound mowers(with you riding on it)? Or are you guys looking for trailers with higher rated ramps? Is there an in-between ramp rating I should be looking for? Thanks.

CleanCutProLawn
01-25-2008, 08:22 PM
I went with a Dressen Trailer www.dressentrailers.com I purchased a 8x18 enclosed and my ramp capacity it 3000lbs. The owner said that its the same gate build for all of there ramp trailers.

topsites
01-25-2008, 08:26 PM
What frustrates me is the lack of curb weight listings so I really don't know what my trailer is capable of hauling because the GVWR includes the (unlisted) curb weight of the trailer for one, for another I never really know the true weight of my equipment.

But just load it slow, monitor progress, watch the tires and the axle and everything, I've never had a real problem.

Juan_Deere
01-25-2008, 08:52 PM
What frustrates me is the lack of curb weight listings so I really don't know what my trailer is capable of hauling because the GVWR includes the (unlisted) curb weight of the trailer for one, for another I never really know the true weight of my equipment.

But just load it slow, monitor progress, watch the tires and the axle and everything, I've never had a real problem.

I'm not that concerned with gross. I am well below that, especially with a tandem axle. I am just worried about getting a trailer I can use now, but then have to upgrade in the future because I bought a bigger/heavier mower. The two mowers I use now, are probably 750 and 850 pounds even with me on them. So that isn't a problem with my current 6x12 and its 1000 lb rated ramp. I am worried about getting the 7x16, and the ramp not be able to hold up later.

As far as your weight problem. You should have a local weight scale, you can go to and figure all that stuff out. I have had to use them when moving on orders while in the military. You have to turn in tickets with empty and full weights because they pay you, for moving yourself, by the pound. The local landfill, or other industrial areas(gas refineries) and such should be able to do it for a small fee. I think it is something like $5 per weighing.

Juan_Deere
01-25-2008, 08:58 PM
I went with a Dressen Trailer www.dressentrailers.com I purchased a 8x18 enclosed and my ramp capacity it 3000lbs. The owner said that its the same gate build for all of there ramp trailers.

Problem is, they aren't local to me. Lark, Diamond, Wells Cargo, and a couple of others seem to be the choices around here. That is what I am saying. Price wise, these similar trailers seem to vary between $3500 and over $5000. I have even seen $3000 but I have to pick up in Georgia or clear across the state in NC.

How did they rate your ramp to that much? Does it have 3 hinges? Or a single long hinge?

Exact Rototilling
01-26-2008, 06:36 PM
My WorkSport [Pace] enclosed 6x12 SA has a ramp rating of 1,000 and a payload of 1,800 - forget any riding mowers. I might be able to beef up the ramp if I get a rider but I knew this ahead of time. My Toyotas will struggle with this even with it loaded to 2200 pounds gross trailer weight.

Pace Cargo Sport same size has a medium duty ramps rated at 2,000 which exceeds it cargo ability.

The Pace Summit heavier I beam construction 6 x 12 SA has a 4,500 ramp weight rating on a 6 x 12 which is silly because the cargo rating is not even 1,800 pounds for the trailer. :hammerhead:

tomo
01-27-2008, 05:48 AM
hello,
a trailer ramp made out of 1/8 box section 50x 25 [2 x 1 ]
use 3x lengths under each wheel track eg [running from trailer to ground ]

The outer frame
The outer sides running trailer to ground same size as above but a thinner walled section is ok as no weight on it or even angle in 1/8

The section that runs along the ground from left to right [top of ramp ]
50 x 50 [2 x 2 ] angle 1/4 thick
Using angle does give u a leading edge for mowers to gain an easy start to the ramp

The section of ramp that runs left to right at the trailer end of ramp
2 1/2 x 1 1/2 box 1/8 thick

The section of the trailer that joins via the hinges to the ramp
This size depends on trailer but should be at least as big as the corresponding trailer ramp frame

Hinges
As hinges can be under designed easily . Check to see if they are of very strong materials etc
eg 5 x hinge plates on trailer and 5 x on ramp At least 3/8 thick
Each plate has a hole 13/16 which a 3/4 solid bar is passed thru . as per the ramp width

Important note is that when the hinge plates are welded on, is a stud is passed thru the beam / box to just under where the hinge plate is to be welded
Once the hinge plate is welded on, the stud is also welded . Weld the stud on the other side of the box section
The end result of this is the hinge plate pulls on both sides of the box when weight is on the ramp . Prevents the hinge from cracking weld and falling off

AND last is
Fabricate knees 4 the ramp . A [ v ] section welded to the bottm side of the ramp which touches the ground when the ramp is down . This supports the weight easily . Ramp can not bend as a result

Remember u cannot make the ramp to heavy as u need a lift mechanism to suit or very huge muscles

tomo:waving:

CleanCutProLawn
01-27-2008, 07:49 PM
My ramp has 4 large hinges. Not sure how they came up with that number. All I know is that when i asked him if it would handle my Ferris IS2000 61" with a weight of 1900lbs (i think) he said no prob, ramp will handle 3000. If the ramp fails and with me loading my mower he said just drive is straight there and they would replace the ramp with heavier duty one for free.