PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clear woods?

Craftybigdog
01-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Hey guys Im buying a house that has 5 acres and I was wondering what is the best way to clear the woods its alot of 1-2 in cal small trees. I want to keep the big ones. I have a Kubota KX-161 and a Bobcat A300 I was just curious what is the best way to take them out with the roots so I can till it up and harley rake it and get the yard to come in. Thanks alot I just thought I would look to the pros for some help!

Gravel Rat
01-25-2008, 07:50 PM
You have any pictures to show what your up against ?

If you had a 200 sized excavator with a clean up bucket you can clear that quckly but with a 161 its gonna take a while.

One way of doing it if the ground is flat is get a long length of wire rope something like 1/2 inch. Dead man one end to a large tree and the other end to either the mini or skid. Keep the cable tight and low to the ground and start to pull the cable like wrapping around the tree pulling the other trees over. Once you get the other trees pulled over it is easy to go at the root end with the excavartor and start ripping the trees out.

You have to watch with the skid steer those 1 to 2 inch diameter crap snaps off low to the ground. They turn into spears and will go through a rubber tire.

Good Luck

bobcat_ron
01-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Rent yourself a 200 sized hoe for a few days, save some embarrassing moments with the "Crap-o-bota".

RockSet N' Grade
01-25-2008, 08:42 PM
BobcatRon(formerly known as Bobcat_Ron)......the guy says hes got 1" and 2" trees :)
Me thinks a 200 machine may be a weeeee bit too much......unless my glasses need cleaning again or my dyslexia med's aren't working, I think the 161 will pluck those things out just dandy.

bobcat_ron
01-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Like I said, a 200 would do it much faster, just scrape the bucket along the ground and pull a bunch out rather than each individual tree with a smaller hoe.

Gravel Rat
01-25-2008, 09:04 PM
It is the bucket size you want. A 160 sized machine could do the same because the clean up bucket on it isn't much smaller. With a wider clean up bucket you can start raking the top of the ground off taking the trees with it.

You start in one corner and keep raking the material back trying to keep too much dirt in it. You get a bunch of the trees sort of balled up into a pile grab the pile with the bucket and thumb give it a good shake to get the dirt out and start building a burn pile.

Craftybigdog
01-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Thank you guys, also maybe I can use my 82" Root Grapple on the front of my A300 it might help also.

minimax
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
What ever you use don't use a clean up bucket,you will have more topsoil then trees and roots. I brush rake on my 35d deere mini and it is really fast for raking small trees and brush out.keep the dirt out of the brush when raking, trying to get the dirt back out of a brush pile is alot harder!!You should be able to clear and burn a 1/2 acre a day with a mini.

minimax

Construct'O
01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
Just get that D11 on the way by Peoria and use it too pile the brush and smooth up with after you get done digging the trees out with the 200 ex :rolleyes:

Use what you got,use the mini to dig em out and make small piles as you go.Get the skid with the grapple to piles,cleanup, and then smooth up as you go.Don't leave a mess in case the weather gets bad and muddy.

Finish as you go.

If you own your own equipment ,why rent anything especially for the size trees your talking about.

Get with it!!!!! won't take long,plus might just be relaxing working for yourself on you own piece of the rock.:weightlifter::usflag:

Gravel Rat
01-25-2008, 11:10 PM
It is very rare to use a brush rake around here. If you do it right you shouldn't get that much topsoil using a clean up bucket.

I have run a 161 I can't imagine how long it would take to clear 1 acre. It would be okay if time wasn't a concern. The machine would have to have a thumb if it didn't then it will make the job even harder.

Landclearing is done differently in B.C. where a 160-200 sized excavator would be brought in to clear a building lot. The whole job is done with the excavator no other backhoes etc are used. A 1 to 2 inch trees is scrub anything that size is usually a young alder or maple tree. We also have problem with black berry bushes,broom and salmon berry bushes.

Get a burn pile started and start stacking it high as the machine can reach then get some diesel fuel and kindling get the fire started. A gas powered leaf blower gets the fire ripping.

YellowDogSVC
01-25-2008, 11:14 PM
I would use a skid with tooth bucket and tilt tatch and pop out the ones that don't come up easily. You can backrack with a grapple and have a nice clean site however, anything bigger than 1 AC requires an erosion control plan.

Construct'O
01-25-2008, 11:30 PM
If the erosion thing is a problem ,just do 1 acre at a time then reseed and move on to another acre,until your done.

hosejockey2002
01-26-2008, 12:09 AM
A toothbar on your A300 should pop out 1-2" stumps quick and easy. Heck, my little 20 hp Kioti tractor handles those without too much heartache. If you already have the machines, you're not going to save by renting bigger. The 161 will handle the bigger stumps fine if you don't have a gazillion of them.

AWJ Services
01-26-2008, 12:15 AM
1 to 2 inch trees would be a cake walk for my tractor much less your Bobcat.
If you leave the bigger trees be careful about digging to deep in the ground prepping because you may damage the roots of the trees you leave behind.
I use the tooth bucket to help rake all the left over roots up and then Harley rake the area and you will be done.

Scag48
01-26-2008, 04:04 AM
I've pulled a lot of trees out of the ground, somewhere around half a million trees to be somewhat exact, and I can't imagine that a cleanup bucket would be even remotely fast compared to a tooth bucket. You can't pick anything out of the dirt with a cleanup and using a cleanup with a thumb is almost impossible to clean debris from dirt. Try it out with the machine you have, if you can do it but it takes time, figure what your time is worth against the cost of a larger machine to get the job done.

ksss
01-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I would just use the equipment that you have. Even a Bobcat can knock over a 1-2 caliper tree.:laugh: Between that and the little excavator you would have no problems. I cleared the trees in my last pictures with my TK and they were 1' to 2' and 50-60 feet high. I certainly would not rent a 200 size machine or a 160 to grub trees that small. A grapple, preferably with an open bottom and maybe a thumb on your excavator would help.

YellowDogSVC
01-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I would just use the equipment that you have. Even a Bobcat can knock over a 1-2 caliper tree.:laugh: Between that and the little excavator you would have no problems. I cleared the trees in my last pictures with my TK and they were 1' to 2' and 50-60 feet high. I certainly would not rent a 200 size machine or a 160 to grub trees that small. A grapple, preferably with an open bottom and maybe a thumb on your excavator would help.

I recently bought a 4n1 bucket. It is a little small for my s300 but it is built heavy. Has anyone tried one for pulling small trees and brush out of the ground?

Scag48
01-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I recently bought a 4n1 bucket. It is a little small for my s300 but it is built heavy. Has anyone tried one for pulling small trees and brush out of the ground?

Yes, I've done it. As long as the trees aren't ridiculously rooted, you shouldn't have any problems, especially since you have an S300 compared to the Cat 216 I've used for this method.. I've yanked all sorts of stuff out of the ground with our 4 in 1, they're a great tool.

YellowDogSVC
01-26-2008, 04:42 PM
I just discovered the 4n1. Always wanted one but never looked into it. I bought a used toolcat this past summer and it had one that was obviously too heavy for it. Seemed to be built for a 60" inch skidsteer with a hefty lift capability. I have used it on fence posts and thought it would cleanly pull out brush and shorter trees but never got around to trying it. I don't often uproot trees but some brush needs it.

Craftybigdog
01-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Yeah I had a Toolcat and got rid of it, the only thing that I found that it did good was snow removal other than that my tractor or my skid steer would run circles around it.

YellowDogSVC
01-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Yeah I had a Toolcat and got rid of it, the only thing that I found that it did good was snow removal other than that my tractor or my skid steer would run circles around it.

I found the opposite to be true (other than the skid). My tractor wasn't as strong and wasn't as comfy to operate. We love the toolcat and use it for a hose of things but it helpful to have many attachments if you want to take full advantage of it.

Landrus2
01-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Have you tried one of these works dam good:drinkup:

YellowDogSVC
01-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Have you tried one of these works dam good:drinkup:

yeah, i have one but for 1-2" trees it's overkill in my humble opinion

TriHonu
01-26-2008, 08:13 PM

I have pulled a lot of the small stuff (<3") with my 4 in 1. Its no problem at all. I'm in high clay content soil and am using a Bobcat 763.

Before I bought my backhoe attachment I used the 4 in 1 bucket to pull 5 Blue Spruce stumps that were 10" diameter 2' off the ground. I did it in the spring when the ground was saturated but firm enough to drive on. It took about 30 min per stump. Grab them with the 4 in 1, pull and rock them to find the hand-full of horizontal roots and sever them with a digging bar, then just pull them out like carrots. Blue Spruce in my area don't have much of a root system. The 8" Honey Locus stump I pulled for the neighbor took a little longer. The stump came loose but the roots were shallow and covered an area about 40' across. I ended up ripping up a lot of sod to get all the roots out.

Make sure you grab the stump in the center of the bucket. If you don't the hydraulics that close the bucket pan will not be balanced side to side. You can put a permanent twist in the pan if you're not careful.:nono:

Cut your larger stumps at least 2' off the ground or higher. It gives you more leverage to push on and when you clamp on the stump the bucket tends to slip some as you pull up

grassmanvt
01-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Just get that D11 on the way by Peoria and use it too pile the brush and smooth up with after you get done digging the trees out with the 200 ex :rolleyes:

Use what you got,use the mini to dig em out and make small piles as you go.Get the skid with the grapple to piles,cleanup, and then smooth up as you go.Don't leave a mess in case the weather gets bad and muddy.

Finish as you go.

If you own your own equipment ,why rent anything especially for the size trees your talking about.

Get with it!!!!! won't take long,plus might just be relaxing working for yourself on you own piece of the rock.:weightlifter::usflag:

Finally someone with some sense. It always amazes me here. Anyone asks for advice and its always "you need to rent ................ and .............." When you've got the equipment, why would you rent. I have a bunch of equipment and yes, its nice to have the perfect thing for the job but, most of the time, if I needed to, I could do most of the jobs with any one piece, might be a little trickier sometimes or take just a hair longer but so what. Use what you've got, theres no need to go running for more equipment all the time just because its not the perfect fit. As for this situation, dealing with one or two inch trees, anything will handle that, why make it more complicated than
it needs to be.

Landrus2
01-27-2008, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=YellowDogSVC;2117928]yeah, i have one but for 1-2" trees it's overkill in my humble opinion

Ok it will not say no :drinkup:

Gravel Rat
01-27-2008, 02:47 PM
That is a little overkill. A 160 or 200 size machine isn't overkill. Landscaping in my area is done with a 200 sized machine. The most common sized mini now is a 18,000lb machine. There is no work for anything less than a 11,000lb machine.

Homeowners that are able will buy themselves a 16 ton excavator to clear their acreage.

Craftybigdog
01-27-2008, 03:02 PM
I must admit it would be nice to have that monster, could you imagine maintaining that thing!

bobcat_ron
01-27-2008, 03:29 PM
You ought to see how land clearing is done in the oil feilds, a couple of modified Cat D-6LGP's and a few big D-8LGP's go at it along side 330 excavators, smash, pull, rip, tear and burn any wood that ain't worth money.

coopers
01-27-2008, 03:56 PM
craftybigdog,

Whatever you use, be sure to share photos. :)

Blake
WA