PDA

View Full Version : Dismiss for clover

PHS
01-26-2008, 12:43 PM
I did a search but didn't come up with anything. Anyone know how well Dismiss works on clover? I'm looking to consolidate my material list and it would be nice to just have one material for spot spraying post-broadleaf control and sedges.

GREEN-UP
01-26-2008, 01:19 PM
I have been using Momentum with a splash of octane for clover and seems to work good.

PHS
01-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Dang, Momentum whacks just about any braodleaf. Unfortunately it doesn't look like it's registered for St. Augustine but it is for Centipede which is the majority of my work. Not real crazy about using a danger label product. I looked at Octane last year but never tried it. I think I'll pick some up this time and give it a try. I glanced over the label and didn't see a temperature restriction which if I remember right is why I was looking at it last year.

ted putnam
01-26-2008, 06:28 PM
PHS, you looking for something to tank mix?

ted putnam
01-26-2008, 07:03 PM
PHS,
Here's my lineup for spot spraying. It's good for bermuda,zoysia St. Aug and Centipede. All of which I spray here. I use Manor for all broadleafs. It works great on all of them including Virginia Buttonweed. I don't know if you have a problem wiith that one but we do here. It is the only weed I have ever sprayed with R-UP that everything around it dies except for it...no joke. I use the sedgehammer for purple,yellow nutsedge Kyllinga and any other sedge out there. Both of these products are safe for all 4 grass types. I do not tank mix them due to the extreme expense. I only use them in back pack or hand sprayer. Manor also has the added benefit of knocking out Foxtail and Bahiagrass...So for the most part I am taking care of 98% of my weeds with 2 sprayers. It's a little more expensive on the front end but it saves time which as we all know= $$$$. Maybe this will help you.

RigglePLC
01-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Octane is labeled for St Augustine and clover is on the label.

PSUTURFGEEK
01-27-2008, 02:02 AM
momentum and octane won't get sedges, I think that was the original question, if you want to get sedges and broadleaf the most cost effective for me is Q4 and it gets mature crabgrass, I usually go about a gallon an acre it works out to be 115-120/acre that combo is pretty hard to beat once you do the math and look at buying the products seperate.

RAlmaroad
01-27-2008, 06:21 AM
PHS,
Here's my lineup for spot spraying. It's good for bermuda,zoysia St. Aug and Centipede. All of which I spray here. I use Manor for all broadleafs. It works great on all of them including Virginia Buttonweed. I don't know if you have a problem wiith that one but we do here. It is the only weed I have ever sprayed with R-UP that everything around it dies except for it...no joke. I use the sedgehammer for purple,yellow nutsedge Kyllinga and any other sedge out there. Both of these products are safe for all 4 grass types. I do not tank mix them due to the extreme expense. I only use them in back pack or hand sprayer. Manor also has the added benefit of knocking out Foxtail and Bahiagrass...So for the most part I am taking care of 98% of my weeds with 2 sprayers. It's a little more expensive on the front end but it saves time which as we all know= $$$$. Maybe this will help you.

Ted: Don't intended to Hi-Jack. What do you use for "Creeping Charlie" in Centipede and St. Augustine? Tried Sedgehammer, Vantage, Dismiss, Atrazine, Image--Nothing Works. I have Southern Ag's "Weed Killer with Trimec". but afraid to use it, eventhough the label states "Safe for St. Augustine and Centipede"

PHS
01-27-2008, 09:16 AM
Ted, The mix rates for manor are super low, if mixing into a backpack sprayer are you using a small graduated cylinder or something like that to measure the amount?

VBtnweed can be a big problem here too. White clover, spurges, and doveweed are very common. Dollarweed and dog fennel can be problematic. Purple nutsedge and green kylinga are everywhere. Dallisgrass, junglerice, bahia, foxtail, and sometimes signalgrass are my narrowleaf headaches along with bermuda and St. Augustine intrusion from yard to yard.

Q4 would be a great material to have but it looks like Bermuda is the only warm season grass it's registered for. I only have a few bermuda lawns.

RAlmaroad
01-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Ted, The mix rates for manor are super low, if mixing into a backpack sprayer are you using a small graduated cylinder or something like that to measure the amount?

VBtnweed can be a big problem here too. White clover, spurges, and doveweed are very common. Dollarweed and dog fennel can be problematic. Purple nutsedge and green kylinga are everywhere. Dallisgrass, junglerice, bahia, foxtail, and sometimes signalgrass are my narrowleaf headaches along with bermuda and St. Augustine intrusion from yard to yard.

Q4 would be a great material to have but it looks like Bermuda is the only warm season grass it's registered for. I only have a few bermuda lawns.

PHS: Dismiss is great on Sedges--Did a lot of test last year.

bug-guy
01-27-2008, 11:47 AM
phs

manor comes with a measuring device
don't forget a sticker

Ric
01-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Ted: Don't intended to Hi-Jack. What do you use for "Creeping Charlie" in Centipede and St. Augustine? Tried Sedgehammer, Vantage, Dismiss, Atrazine, Image--Nothing Works. I have Southern Ag's "Weed Killer with Trimec". but afraid to use it, eventhough the label states "Safe for St. Augustine and Centipede"

Roy

Good Choice. It is the Dicamba in three way herbicide mixes that controls clover. Most Three Ways Like Trimec are very cost effective. I am not sure but I believe Southern Ag uses Gordon's Trimec, They are in fact a Re-package manufacture and do not actually formulate any chemicals. Southern Ag has only two locations, Your state and mine. I buy from Southern Ag and I am very happy with them as a supplier.

RAlmaroad
01-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Roy

Good Choice. It is the Dicamba in three way herbicide mixes that controls clover. Most Three Ways Like Trimec are very cost effective. I am not sure but I believe Southern Ag uses Gordon's Trimec, They are in fact a Re-package manufacture and do not actually formulate any chemicals. Southern Ag has only two locations, Your state and mine. I buy from Southern Ag and I am very happy with them as a supplier.

Ric: I was hoping that YOU would help. If anyone knows what works--you do.
Would this be safe as label states on the St. Augustine? I have just a little "Creeping Charlie" moving in from one of the yards to another through the fence. IS DICAMBA available stand alone. I've never seen it.
Thanks and I miss your advise
Roy,

Ric
01-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Ric: I was hoping that YOU would help. If anyone knows what works--you do.
Would this be safe as label states on the St. Augustine? I have just a little "Creeping Charlie" moving in from one of the yards to another through the fence. IS DICAMBA available stand alone. I've never seen it.
Thanks and I miss your advise
Roy,

Roy

I have only seen Dicamba as a stand alone for Ag. Creeping Charlie would better be suppressed but not totally controlled by 2-4,D which is also in Trimec or Three Way. Multiply application may be needed.

Yes I use Three Way herbicides on St Augustine all the time. However it is the Dicamba that will stunt or kill St Augustine if over applied. Straight 2-4,D won't kill St Augustine as quick as a little Dicamba.

ted putnam
01-27-2008, 04:18 PM
I don't know if Manor will work on the Creeping Charlie as I don't deal with it here. I'll bet it would though since it works on many other creeping varieties such as buttonweed,dollarweed,dayflower, etc... I looked creeping charlie up and from what I can tell. Trimec Southern will work. It still has 24D and Dicamba in it, just at lower rates. I looked at Dismiss as the "magic bullet" for me beause of it being labeled for the sedges and many broadleaf weeds. However, it didn't cover enough of the broadleafs for me. It is not labeled for buttonweed in particular and I also have a problem with Bahia and Foxtail. For my purposes, Manor comes closer to being that magic bullet than Dismiss. The rates ar low. I use the .75oz per acre rate to cover all the weeds I need it to. The measuring cylinder that comes with it is in .0125 oz increments. I put .0375 oz in a 2 gal handcan, be sure to use surfactant. Cost is around $180 for a 1.5 oz bottle