PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions

TPnTX
01-27-2008, 10:45 AM
This is a kind of spin off from another thread.

Developers are now more often than not installing several 120v fixtures to the front of new houses. I have several on the front of mine.

Is this something you vets have encountered throught the years? If so whats the best way to deal with them. By that I mean

1st the customer. You have to convince him that what he has, isn't necessarily quality lighting let alone artistic in anyway.

-How can you use those lights with a new LV system. I do know there are individual 12v TF's but that doesn't seem practical.
An electrician could re-route the existing romex wiring allowing the fixtures to be joined in with the LV system.

-Its hard to imagine being able to just ignore them and not turn them on.

My best guess at this point if budget is a big issue would be to find the lowest watt lamp to use, and try to incorperate the grazing effect, use a separate timer/sensor so they would be in sync with the LV system.

there's tons of new 350-500k houses with these lights around here.

Pro-Scapes
01-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Are you reffering to soidium or metal halide spots in the yard blaring at the house ? I have replaced several of thoes systems... your marketing should be based on reduced glare and artistically designed. I wouldnt be trying to incorperate the HPS or massive line voltage lights into my design... if they want to keep them for occasional use thats fine but make your system independant. It would be possible for an electrician to use the power feeds to run your transformers but often times its easier to just start new. Ask your electrician for your options there.

Prob is many people LOVE ultra bright like that.

Also the energy savings could be another huge sales point. Job we did this summer had 3 HPS lights in the front yard that rivaled the high school footbll stadium. Intense. You literally could not walk out the front door without seeing spots or being very uncomfortable. I seriously consider it much like staring into a welder with no shield

Lite4
01-27-2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I usually have them shut off during a demo. The soffit lights will never be able to light the upper gables and roof line of a house like uplighting it does. Very often the homeowner will abandon the line voltage system in response to the more dramatic effects of my lighting composition. In fact am installing one right now that I did a cold demo on ( by cold I mean I just walked up to their door and asked if I could demo their house). At first they said they were not interested in me doing a demo for them and that they were happy with the soffit down lighting they already had, (which really didn't look bad, it just was limited in its coverage of the architecture.) I told them what I would like to do and that it would not cost them a dime just to look at what their house would look like with some different effects. Finally they agreed to let me set it up and I turned off their outside soffits. Well, obviously they were blown away by the difference since I am installing their lighting now. Just goes to show you, never underestimate the power of a demo.

Mayor_tx
01-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Hadco makes a 120v fixture with a built-in step down trans, which effectively turn it into a lv light. They are a bit more expensive than most lv lights, but you could come up with a design, install these in place of the 120v, call it low voltage, and have a more appealing look on their new homes.

TPnTX
01-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Mayor Tx I've been searching their website for a while haven't found one yet.
know a model #?

BTW I in autin a couple of weeks ago. Around Mopac? and Far West. Man what a place to work for ligting! Nice landscape everywhere.

Mayor_tx
01-27-2008, 02:13 PM
the Model # is the BT1. give me a call sometime and I'll fill you in on this light. 830-613-5458

Az Gardener
01-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I think you should be going after the architects that are designing in the 110 systems or the contractors paying the bill. LV has to be cheaper its certainly more appealing than the spot lights.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-27-2008, 03:29 PM
There are a couple of really easy and cost effective means by which to accomodate building mounted 120V fixtures into an nice outdoor lighting system

1: Install a dimmer. This is so easy and very effective. Dim the outdoor lights to an acceptable output.

2: Replace the lamps with 35W PAR20 lamps... these are directional and will fill the fixture with light, but not into the eye.

Regards

J Larson
06-06-2011, 01:37 PM
The fixture you are thinking of is the BT5016 by Hadco, here is a link to it on our web site: http://www.lite-scape.com/detail.php?id=150
You will still need a S3 (120V spike), or similar mount as well. I would suggest still going to a remote transformer (12V system). The benefits of a 12V system includes the ability to move the fixtures easily when the landscape grows, along with the design factors.