PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever break a seat on a Dixie Chopper?

Chopperfan
10-29-2001, 08:04 AM
Hi All -

new to the forum - but I have a question

Has anybody ever heard of a seat on a DC breaking in the frame? Mine is a white one with arm rests?

I'm more than a little bit upset about this. My DC 2202XW is only 4 years old and has only 240 hours on it. (I'm not a commercial operator - I bought it for my own use)

I've taken the seat off and it's definitely a break in the pipe frame. I called the dealer and he said it's out of warranty and can't do anything for me. I'm gonna try to contact the folks at DC directly and see if they'll stand behind it.

I don't understand with the low hours and all - why it should break like that. It's not like I'm 350 lbs or anything. (I'm 190 BTW)

Any advice???? I've thought about taking it to a seat shop to try and have it repaired. And after searching this site - I found where these seats are gonna run between $300 and $500? You gotta be kidding me!!!!!!

Anybody has any great ideas I'd like to here 'em. Man I am SO disappointed in my Chopper!!! This is the first time I've ever had the slightest problem. (I haven't even had to change a belt yet!)

Thanks

Carl

Eric ELM
10-29-2001, 08:39 AM
Welcome to Lawnsite.com

The seats are made by a seat company for lawn mower MFGs, so they would be the ones to be mad at. :)

I have put on around 9,000 hours on my past and present Choppers and I have not had this problem. Your seat was probably built on a Monday morning. :(

I would take it to an upholstery shop and see how much it would cost to have them pull off the soft material and then take it to a welding shop if it's a weld that broke. The seat you have will cost around $300 to replace.

The only other thing would be to look at the Northern website and see if there is a seat like what you would want.

I hope this helps.

Chopperfan
10-29-2001, 10:01 AM
Thanks Eric -

I'll try that. I do know from pulling the material back a little bit that it's the pipe frame that broke.....

I'll keep ya posted - but thanks for the info!

(oh yeah - and I've been double blading for a while now and I love the results!)

C

John DiMartino
10-29-2001, 06:47 PM
Carl,my Dixie seat hasnt been exactly trouble free either, I lost my arm rest on the road,it fell off the trailer.When i found it,i was able to screw it back on,no worse for the wear,except for the road rash it got,and the 45 minutes i spent looking on the side of the road for it.I too am mostly a homeowner user,so with 75 hrs,and 3 months old,I didnt expect this to happen.I noticed that my 91 50" Dixie,although it was old,and much firmer,the seat was also much more rugged,and the arch was much more comfortable than the 2000 I have.If it wasnt so old looking,and grey,I wouldve swapped ot for my 2000's seat before I sold it.

1grnlwn
10-29-2001, 06:52 PM
Put a bobcat seat on it. $200 They have suspension and lumbar adj. and tilt adjust. Have one on my dixon and one on my ferris. They work great. They have them at northern equip. I wonder how the seat could break? Are you pushing back real hard for some reason? Hmm

Turf Cutters
10-29-2001, 07:07 PM
My arm rest broke off and there was no way to repair it. A new seat from DC was too much. I got a good one from J. Thomas. It seems to be better built and a lot more comforable. Good luck.

1grnlwn
11-02-2001, 10:06 PM
Chopper, do you have problem operating your deck lift? Just wondering.

Randy Scott
11-02-2001, 10:17 PM
C'mon you Dixie guys, your missing a golden opportunity here!
Maybe the seat broke becauuuuuuuuuse, the chopper is so fast and it throws you back so hard in the seat, huh? Maybe?
I'm just jazzin' you guys. It is strange it broke, I would imagine it is just one of those freak things. Sucks though. Seems like nowadays, whether it be mowers or cars or whatever, they stick to the rules on warranties.

Scotty
11-03-2001, 12:32 AM
Carl, one of the wire spring things broke on my 1998 DC. The machine was out of warranty, and the dealer would not do anything for me. I called DC myself and spoke to someone in warranty, I think his name was Randy. I explained to him the wire supporting the seat had broke and it was like sitting in a hole. He told me they were having some seat problems and that he would replace the seat for me. One week later I had a new seat.

weve
11-03-2001, 07:25 AM
A seat spring on my 2000 DixieChopper XFD2600 broke this summer. It was the white seat with white armrests. It was also out of warranty, but they have had problems with that seat. They sent me a new one free of charge and returned the broken one to the factory. The new seat spring set-up was beefed up. Check with your Dixie dealer rep. He should know if ther are problems with your seat.

Eric ELM
11-05-2001, 10:50 AM
The Author of this thread emailed me the next day and he had called the factory about this. Even though it was not under warranty, they agreed it should last much longer than it did. They told him if he sends them the old seat, they will send him a new one to replace it, free of charge.

Since he didn't post this information, I figured I would. ;)

Chopperfan
11-13-2001, 08:37 AM
Sorry I didn't get back sooner Eric (and everybody) - I appreciate you posting the info for me. I've actually been awaiting final resolution - both from the dealer and from Dixie. (people on vacation and such)

Turns out the dealer couldn't do anything so when I talked to the folks at Dixie - they agreed that a seat with only 220 hours (after 4 years use) shouldn't have failed.

Their resolution is to have me take the seat to the dealer - who'll ship it to DC and DC will ship them a new one for me. I have to pay shipping both ways - but all things considered - I can accept that as fair treatment. I guess they didn't have to do a thing - but I'm glad they did.
(and you're right Randy - it accelerates SO fast that it pins me to the seat - hahaha)

Actually - I am mystified how this happened - I'm 6' and 190 lbs and I'm the only one who's operated it. And really - I hardly lean back on the seat - but that's what's happened. Go figure. I'm just happy that DC is standing behind their product so well.

Oh - while I'm on the subject - I found out real early in the game - that I couldn't disconnect the seat saftey engine cutoff wires. It's a total pain to shut off the engine and pick up a stick or something and I wanted to bypass that inconvenience. Turns out - tho - that doing so - drains the battery. The dealer didn't even know about it - so they rewired it and replaced the battery for me - so now - I just have to live with it - but I sure wish there was a work-around...

Thanks all (oh - and 1grnlwn? I have had no problems operating the deck lift whatsoever)

Carl

Richard Martin
11-13-2001, 12:26 PM
Chopperfan wrote:
Oh - "snip" - I found out real early in the game - that I couldn't disconnect the seat saftey engine cutoff wires. "snip" Turns out - tho - that doing so - drains the battery. The dealer didn't even know about it - so they rewired it and replaced the battery for me - so now - I just have to live with it - but I sure wish there was a work-around...

There is a workaround. Just disconnect the switch. Mine has been disconnected all year and the battery is just fine. There is no current in the seat switch when the key is turned off.