PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with enclosed trailer where do you have your gas cans?

bigw
01-27-2008, 03:14 PM
Where do you keep your gas cans and how do you have them secured? Would putting them on the floor be better then the wall or even the back of the truck be better? I am looking to find a spot for 1 5gal and 1 2gal can.Any tips or advice would be appreciated!:weightlifter:

mag360
01-27-2008, 03:59 PM
We have a shelf in the front.

T-Cart
01-27-2008, 04:09 PM
Hey BigW,after reading the fiasco last night,just wanted you to know that i am pulling for you.Good luck,

RGM
01-27-2008, 04:13 PM
I had someone weld a small cage box on the front section of trailer (tongue)

F Y P M
01-27-2008, 04:25 PM
We put our gas cans and all miscellaneous stuff right in the nose of the trailer. Easy to access from side door also.

Az Gardener
01-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I got a 15 gallon tank with the hose and nozzle from Northern tool/parts for about 100 bucks and made a stand so it was just above the top of the bed of the truck and we keep the 5-Gal can of 2-cycle gas mix in the space below that. It is all on the tongue of the trailer and we have the area below the tank enclosed so that the hose, nozzle and 5-g tank are secure.

This set up would be better with an extended tongue but mine is standard and the guys have only done minor bumper damage when turning too sharply. Most likely when backing up.

bigw
01-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Hey BigW,after reading the fiasco last night,just wanted you to know that i am pulling for you.Good luck,

thanks buddy!!!

Landrus2
01-27-2008, 07:53 PM
200 gallon thank in pick up truck:drinkup:

bigw
01-27-2008, 07:54 PM
We put our gas cans and all miscellaneous stuff right in the nose of the trailer. Easy to access from side door also.

are they secured to the floor or the wall? are their regulations as to how they are secured or does that depend on your state? I hate the thought of having 5 gals of gas hanging on the wall like some of the racks out their,i think it looks dangerous and alot of weight to be hanging from a thin wall!

F Y P M
01-27-2008, 08:16 PM
My trailer is a vnose so I squared out th v with a shelf and I secure the cans on the shelf. I agree that the premade racks do not look to safe but supposedly are.
Didn't mean any harm last night just stated what I think. No harm done this business is a tough one, so take everything with a grain of salt. Ultimately you only have to answer to yourself.

DoetschOutdoor
01-27-2008, 10:03 PM
I just made a shelf in the front that holds my toolbox, oil, and one 5 gallon reg gas and one 2.5 gallon mix. The shelf is really simple with a lip in the front and then I measured the widths of the cans and used more 2x4s to make little places for them to sit in snuggly. No need to strap them down as they fit perfectly in the little spots I made.

wayside
01-27-2008, 10:59 PM
hey man pm me your email and ill send you a pic... just to give you an idea

bigw
01-27-2008, 11:09 PM
I just made a shelf in the front that holds my toolbox, oil, and one 5 gallon reg gas and one 2.5 gallon mix. The shelf is really simple with a lip in the front and then I measured the widths of the cans and used more 2x4s to make little places for them to sit in snuggly. No need to strap them down as they fit perfectly in the little spots I made.

so they are sitting on the floor then and just boxed in with 2x4'S thats what i was thinking would be best and safest.

wayside
01-27-2008, 11:30 PM
sent hope that help's.....

GarPA
01-28-2008, 04:31 AM
bought a diamond plate trlr tongue storage box from American Van. Fits between outside of nose of trailer and the trlr jack and bolts to trlr frame. Locking lid. Easily holds 2, 5 gal cans and small can of 2 cycle with room for things like trailer wheel chocks etc. Rather pricey at $300 but makes fuel issues a breeze and no spilles and fumes inside trailer anymore.. Been using this for 2 years now and love it.

Sammy
03-13-2008, 06:03 AM
I'm surprised that no one made mention that, carrying gasoline inside an enclosed trailer is against the law.

Valk
03-13-2008, 11:08 AM
I'm surprised that no one made mention that, carrying gasoline inside an enclosed trailer is against the law.
Now I'm curious as to what LCOs do that have a V-nose trailer...?

Eclipse
03-13-2008, 09:05 PM

I do not know that is is against the law to carry any gas inside a trailer. I think there is some type of limit as to how much gas one can carry. I do know that were are supposed to have safety cans in and on our trailers.

ffemt1271
03-13-2008, 09:52 PM
federal lawrequires someone to plackerd any chemical when they are carrying over 999 POUNDS of that chemical, some are less due to the high hazards associated with them.:usflag:

olde_blue
03-13-2008, 11:29 PM

I hate to point this out, but wouldn't it be against the law to carry mowers (or ATVs or cars) in an enclosed trailer, then? I have about 20 gallons of gasoline in the mowers on my trailer.

Marcos
03-13-2008, 11:45 PM
I like to keep both of mine strapped on outside...right next to the tailpipe.
:laugh:

Az Gardener
04-05-2008, 01:36 PM
I just bought another one of these for my new trailer so while I was there I thought I would post the link.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200317034_200317034

One week and counting for the most custom residential full service rig known to mankind. I will figure out how to post pictures to show off the new trailer.