PDA

View Full Version : anyone have experience with PJ trailers?

haybaler
01-27-2008, 04:32 PM
i'm looking at either a 7x12 12000# or 8x14 14000# deck over dump trailer. i will be hauling 4-6 yards TRG, loam ect pallets of pavers and sometimes a mini x(if I could drive it on) or skidsteer. they come with pull out ramps and fold down or take off sides.

KTM
01-27-2008, 05:58 PM
I, have 12' non deck over PJ trailer, I bought it just to use as a dumpster because dumpster fee's were getting kind of high, I bought it 2 years ago and it's already paid for itsself. I went with Pj because it was one of the best priced ones I could find, Maxi dump trailers are built in my town and the same one in a Maxi would have been $800 more. I am pretty impressed with the quality for the price, the paint is the best I have ever had on a trailer. I was looking at the deckover when I bought mine thought they were realy nice and a great idea. I bought the 12,000 lb trailer just because garbage does not weigh much but, if your going to be hauling gravel or dirt I would buy the 14,000 gross trailer. My only complaint is that I think they dump kind of slow.

kps2389
01-27-2008, 06:28 PM
I don't know much about PJ trailers but if your looking for a dump trailer definantly consider a Bri-Mar they might be a little more expensive but definantly worth it. I use mine for everything mulch, topsoil, gravel, brush and I have leaf box and vac for it. It had never let me down and sometimes can't believe the weight it will dump. (over 3 tons)

Tom B.
01-27-2008, 07:55 PM
We roll a 14' 14,000 LB, non-deckover Load Trail. The PJ is almost the same trailer (except the PJ has the powder coat) and costs similar. Why do you want a deckover?

haybaler
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
We roll a 14' 14,000 LB, non-deckover Load Trail. The PJ is almost the same trailer (except the PJ has the powder coat) and costs similar. Why do you want a deckover?

I want a deck over because the sides fold down and you can load pallets of material. Also I believe the dump angle is better. also you don't have to worry about hitting the fenders.

treeman06
01-27-2008, 11:31 PM
i have a 18 ft skid steer trailer 14,ooo gross from pj. the thing is built really well and the powder coat paint has really held up with our winters/salty roads.

Tom B.
01-28-2008, 01:11 PM
I want a deck over because the sides fold down and you can load pallets of material. Also I believe the dump angle is better. also you don't have to worry about hitting the fenders.

Just from my experience, the fold down sides are nice but they get the living $hit beat out of them. We have pallets loaded all the time in our trailer and never had a problem. The only reason they might have a better dump angle is because they sit higher off the ground and we have never had a problem dumping because of the angle. Also, I've been hauling trailers for more than 10 years and have yet to hit a fender on anything. If you're hitting fenders you must not have any side mirrors either since they should stick out at least as far as the fenders.

haybaler
01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Just from my experience, the fold down sides are nice but they get the living $hit beat out of them. We have pallets loaded all the time in our trailer and never had a problem. The only reason they might have a better dump angle is because they sit higher off the ground and we have never had a problem dumping because of the angle. Also, I've been hauling trailers for more than 10 years and have yet to hit a fender on anything. If you're hitting fenders you must not have any side mirrors either since they should stick out at least as far as the fenders.

OK, but why would I not get a deck over? Also I need the width to load a mini X onto. I'm gonna go with the 15,400 gvw model. I know how to use my mirrors, but employees don't, also you ding them up loading material from the side.

Tom B.
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
If you want a deckover that's fine, but I'm not familiar with a 15,400 lb model. What are you going to haul it with? Do you have a CDL? What size mini-x are you planning on hauling. From my understanding, you would have a weight issue long before you would have a width issue.

PatiosInstalled
01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
i own a 2008 14' 14000lb pj dump and in my opinion its the best trailer around . the welds and reinforcements are quality and the powder coat is very nice as well. the other great feature are the dual hung gates. i wouldnt go with a dump over it greatly raises your center of gravity and if your gonna hit your fenders then your also gonna hit the sides of a dump over, it makes no difference. the dump angle should be the same they still pivot at the back of the trailer. i have no problem getting one or 2 pallets loaded in the trailer. they just put it in and push it forward.

haybaler
01-28-2008, 10:01 PM
If you want a deckover that's fine, but I'm not familiar with a 15,400 lb model. What are you going to haul it with? Do you have a CDL? What size mini-x are you planning on hauling. From my understanding, you would have a weight issue long before you would have a width issue.

under 26000 is legal in mass. so a one ton is 10,500 = 25900. I'm hoping to fit a cat 304cr on it (10000lb), but that is only on occasion. this model is the 14000 with heavier axles. my cummins diesel can pull any amount of rolling weight. I just like having the extra width. I don't think the higher center of gravity will bother me.

haybaler
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM
well, after all that I went with the regular PJ dump. 6.5' x 14' 15400 gvw. the sides on the deck over were to flimsy and would have been hard to extend or put a box. this trailer is awsome. they did not cut any corners. There's only one welded seem in the middle of the trailer instead of having two on the sides. it has a 3 way gate (barn doors or spreader) stake pocket, D-rings and tarp hooks all around. heavy duty piston with scissors lift, I could go on

PatiosInstalled
01-31-2008, 06:46 PM
sounds like the same trailer i have but do you have the weight right? all the pj's i have seen including mine are 14,500 gvw not 15,400. good luck with it

haybaler
01-31-2008, 10:22 PM
sounds like the same trailer i have but do you have the weight right? all the pj's i have seen including mine are 14,500 gvw not 15,400. good luck with it

It's stamped right on the side, 15,400. it's the 8000# axle option. I just need to make sides now and find a nice tarp system.