PDA

View Full Version : Scag 72" Turbo Diesels

sdwally
10-29-2001, 09:02 AM
After conducting 4 demos and evaluating several ZTRs, we finally purchased 3 Scag 72" Turbo Diesel Sabre Tooth Tigers(31hp, 50ftlbs torque). The machines are outfitted with the new 72" Advantage decks with a mulching kit added, ROPS, suspension ride seats, and an extra weight kit for the front.
These first 3 machines will be used at the city cemetery about 3 days a week for about 6 hours a day. The terrain is very rough and also has some very steep hills. In a few months I will give an update on how these machines are performing and holding up.
As mentioned many times on this site about the poor reliability of the hydros, Scag no longer uses Eaton pumps and motors.
If you have any specific questions I will try to answer them.

Eric ELM
10-29-2001, 10:41 AM
You wrote: As mentioned many times on this site about the poor reliability of the hydros, Scag no longer uses Eaton pumps and motors.

What are they using now instead of Eaton?

mowerconsultant
10-29-2001, 10:52 AM
They were using Hydro-gear BDP-10's, this was on the standard Turf Tigers, they used no hydro cooler, and a lot of people here have had problems.
This is a quote from the Scag web site regarding the Turf Tiger,

"Heavy-duty drive system includes dual Hydro-Gear pumps and Ross wheel motors for reliable, zero-turn maneuverability"

As far as I know (I could be wrong here) they are still using Hydro-gear, but they are a different model pump, BDP-21's
This quote is from Scag's web site regarding the Sabre Tooth Tiger,

"Heavy-duty drive system includes dual 21cc Hydro-Gear pumps, 22ci Ross wheel motors and auxiliary hydraulic oil coolers for reliable, zero-turn maneuverability."

Same manufacturer different model pumps, and the addition of hydro coolers. (something that maybe should of been on the original Turf Tigers)

Later
Pj