PDA

View Full Version : Leveling out a yard

lccmo
01-27-2008, 04:52 PM
What is the best method of leveling out a yard with either a skid steer or a tracktor?

PerfectEarth
01-27-2008, 04:57 PM
An existing yard or new construction (soil only) ??

Hunter73
01-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I think the skidsteer would be the best choice for me.

Dirt Digger2
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
tractor...the longer your wheel base the better you grading job will turn out

allinearth
01-27-2008, 05:38 PM
If you have to make cuts and move soil a skid steer is better to me. If all you are doing is leveling loose soil then tractor. We use skid steers and a power rake. Power rake is the way to go for finish grade.

AWJ Services
01-27-2008, 06:02 PM
The Tractor is easier to get Yards level with unless you have a large Skid or a CTL.

I have a heavy Gill Box Blade with teeth that roll up and down.It holds like a yard of dirt.
Works great for finesse grading.
My CTL is much faster but either will work fine.

Then finish the job off with a power rake of sorts and your done.

lccmo
01-27-2008, 06:06 PM
its new construction but the "yard" that needs to be leveled it an old field - has many high and low spots in it. Is there an attachment that will help with this? I have heard from some that it should be plowed the bladed, but not sure it this is right.

Dirt Digger2
01-27-2008, 06:15 PM
your better off renting a small dozer then...skids and tractors don't like breaking up sod and they will both have a rough time digging in and pushing dirt to fill the low spots

bobcat_ron
01-27-2008, 06:54 PM
Rip it all up with a skid steer and a scarifier attachment, smooth it out and hit it with a Harley rake.

AWJ Services
01-27-2008, 07:57 PM
It would depend on what equipment you already have.

The dozer would be great and the fastest.

KTM
01-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Like Ron said, rip up the soil nice and loose with the skidder, then use a land plane (large square rake with short teeth) on the skidder, go over it in diffrent directions, then run over it with a Harley or rock hound type atachment.

Fieldman12
01-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Depends on a bunch of different obstacles. I have done several over the years. Things that would change the equipment I use is.

How big a yard?
How much cut and fill?
Is it a rolling or flat yard?
Does it have a bunch of vegitation?
Does it have plenty of top soil?
Is there a bunch of stuff to work around?

If it is a open yard with plenty of room and really hardly any cut and fill then a little tractor with a tiller on the back is the best in my opinion. If you have some high and low spots after working it up hit it with a rake behind the tractor. You can do all of this also with a skid also with same attachments as listed but I hate leaving tracks or having to go backwards to cover them up with a skid. Plus the same attachments would be allot more in cost for a skid. If it is real small area with some cut and fill than a skid with just a bucket to break it all up and then level it all back out will work great. Main thing is to have the vegitation removed. Most of the time vegitation is usually not that big of a deal though if it was cut real short before you bring in a tiller. And you hit it several times.