PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best trailer brand

stuntmanlogan
01-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Im thinking about getting a trailer this year, because im getting tired of hauling my equitment around in the back of my truck any suggestions about what size or brand ive been looking alot at the hh trailers and this spring im picking up a 36in metro. Thanks

TomberLawn
01-28-2008, 04:45 PM
What other equipment do you have? For just a 36 walk behind, you won't need much of a trailer, but get one a little bit bigger than you need right now so you'll have room for more equipment in the future. Do you want enclosed or open? Trailer brands seem to be somewhat regional, so what I might would recommend may not be available in Iowa. Really, it just takes a little bit of time to go to a few places that sell trailers and look at ones that are the size you need with the features you want.

GravelyGuy
01-28-2008, 06:03 PM
http://www.bigtextrailers.com/

If you have one in your area definitely check them out.

CleanCutProLawn
01-28-2008, 06:08 PM
what part of iowa are you located, Dressen trailers might have a dealership near you. If you are located in the NW part you could just drive up to where they are built just north of Sioux Falls on I29

stuntmanlogan
01-29-2008, 06:54 PM
What other equipment do you have? For just a 36 walk behind, you won't need much of a trailer, but get one a little bit bigger than you need right now so you'll have room for more equipment in the future. Do you want enclosed or open? Trailer brands seem to be somewhat regional, so what I might would recommend may not be available in Iowa. Really, it just takes a little bit of time to go to a few places that sell trailers and look at ones that are the size you need with the features you want.

Thinking about just a 6x12 open to start off with.

stuntmanlogan
01-29-2008, 07:21 PM

The only other equitment i have is a 21in personal pace and stihl trimmer and blower. Im thinking about just a 6x12 open for now because this summer im getting a 36in exmark metro and in a few years i hope to pick up a large zero turn so i want it to fit so i dont have to get a new trailer then.

scooterdayton
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
i have a 2006 trinity 6.5x12 open aluminum tubing and i love it. made in stanley wisconsin. dont get cheap angle iron trailer.
i have a 61" zero turn and with the bagger unit on, it barely fits, but still perfect. think i paid $1500 new, worth every penny.
and when you look for a trailer make sure it has enough travel, ive seen the axle hitting the electrical conduit on some with only a half in or so of clearence, junk.

meets1
01-29-2008, 07:43 PM
Where in iowa?

stuntmanlogan
01-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Where in iowa?

Des Moines

stuntmanlogan
01-29-2008, 08:37 PM
i have a 2006 trinity 6.5x12 open aluminum tubing and i love it. made in stanley wisconsin. dont get cheap angle iron trailer.
i have a 61" zero turn and with the bagger unit on, it barely fits, but still perfect. think i paid $1500 new, worth every penny.
and when you look for a trailer make sure it has enough travel, ive seen the axle hitting the electrical conduit on some with only a half in or so of clearence, junk.

Do you have anything else besides the 61in on there.

meets1
01-29-2008, 09:25 PM
I would get something bigger personally. A few more dollars for an extra 4-6 ft is well worth it. 14 is bare min - 16 is ok, 18 is better. Even if you don't need to room now, what about the future - not 3 years from now but when your hauling branches away for some old lady and there you sit with your mower and no room - does that mean I make two trips - cost money, should of got bigger trailer or tell the lady no cuz I have winny trailer - which cost you money cuz you just lost a lucritive money paying job. I have a 20ft and 12 ft for sale. Heck I could meet ya half way. Let me know! PM me if you can.

scooterdayton
01-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Do you have anything else besides the 61in on there.

i still have about 4 feet or so in the back to throw the rest of the tools and push mowers behind that. plenty of room, all you really need in my opinion, if your planning to throw your debris in the back of your truck. thats all i do. and untill i get a dump im just using a loadhandler.
had to go 6.5 because of how wide my deck is. if you were going up to 52" zt in future all you'd need is 6x12. if you want a bigger mower then you might wanna go wider than 6 just for comfort.
id go to a local dealer and buy a brand new one, dont trust anybodys left overs.
hope this helps.

http://www.dockplates-dockboards.com/images/Pickup%20Truck%20Ramps/Arched%20RampTHumb.jpg

stuntmanlogan
01-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks everyone i think im just going to pick up a 6.5x12 H&H single axle trailer this spring.

bigclawnman
01-30-2008, 09:39 PM
I would at least go dual axel. And I agree go with a longer trailer. That extra feet will help as you expand your business. You never know when you get that big job with a lot of debris, mulch etc. Don't short change yourself when you start out.

BIGBEN2004
01-30-2008, 09:47 PM
I run a Cam Superline and love it. I think they are only made in PA though. I know Eager Beaver and Tow Master make some very good trailers but come with a price tag though.

Rizzo
01-30-2008, 11:20 PM
In Iowa you will be hard pressed to find anything better than an H&H. I have had 2 of them and they are fantastic. Lifetime warranty on the floor and 10 year on the frame. Made in Iowa also. I have had 4 yards of hardwood mulch on my 6.5x12 single axle with out a problem. (wouldn't do it everyday though) Don't get sucked into the "buy the biggest you can" talk either. Bigger is harder to get around in the small neighborhoods and store at your house. I started with a 7x16 haulmark enclosed and kept buying smaller until I now use a 5x10 HH steel side. You can always sell the trailer if you need to move up in the future. Is this for a full time biz or solo part time? Good luck!

TomberLawn
01-31-2008, 12:00 AM
I'm torn between the "buy a big trailer" route and "get what you need." My dad had a 6x10 that we used to haul our Gator on and I started using it for my mower. When we bought a tractor, we had to get a bigger trailer to haul it on, so we got a 6.5x16. I love the extra space, and the longer, tandem axle trailer tows much better. All the room is handy when doing leaf clean ups when you have your mower, a couple blowers, grass/leaf catchers, fuel cans, rakes, and all sorts of other stuff on the trailer so you can load up the truck bed with leaves. I don't have any racks as of now, so that would certainly help with the floor space. The 6x10 would do fine for me if all I had was the zero turn and if I had some racks for trimmers/blowers. But, like most of the guys are saying, small trailers fill up fast. A 6x12 or 6.5x12 will be plenty for now and offer some room for expansion. I'd recommend the 6.5 width if you can get it in that length. The extra 6 inches isn't that much harder to handle on the road, but it means a lot when you're loading up equipment, especially if you ever get a 60" mower.

Raven386
01-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I'm torn between the "buy a big trailer" route and "get what you need." My dad had a 6x10 that we used to haul our Gator on and I started using it for my mower. When we bought a tractor, we had to get a bigger trailer to haul it on, so we got a 6.5x16. I love the extra space, and the longer, tandem axle trailer tows much better. All the room is handy when doing leaf clean ups when you have your mower, a couple blowers, grass/leaf catchers, fuel cans, rakes, and all sorts of other stuff on the trailer so you can load up the truck bed with leaves. I don't have any racks as of now, so that would certainly help with the floor space. The 6x10 would do fine for me if all I had was the zero turn and if I had some racks for trimmers/blowers. But, like most of the guys are saying, small trailers fill up fast. A 6x12 or 6.5x12 will be plenty for now and offer some room for expansion. I'd recommend the 6.5 width if you can get it in that length. The extra 6 inches isn't that much harder to handle on the road, but it means a lot when you're loading up equipment, especially if you ever get a 60" mower.

especially a 60" Lazer w/ultravac.....barely fits on my 6X14. wish i wouldve got a 7X16

WHITESLAWNCARE
01-31-2008, 10:32 AM
texasbragg makes a nice trailer. Its all in what u need and want, big/small heavy/lite there are many options and if your planning on growing your biz think for the future

stuntmanlogan
02-10-2008, 06:24 PM
In Iowa you will be hard pressed to find anything better than an H&H. I have had 2 of them and they are fantastic. Lifetime warranty on the floor and 10 year on the frame. Made in Iowa also. I have had 4 yards of hardwood mulch on my 6.5x12 single axle with out a problem. (wouldn't do it everyday though) Don't get sucked into the "buy the biggest you can" talk either. Bigger is harder to get around in the small neighborhoods and store at your house. I started with a 7x16 haulmark enclosed and kept buying smaller until I now use a 5x10 HH steel side. You can always sell the trailer if you need to move up in the future. Is this for a full time biz or solo part time? Good luck!

How much did you pay for the 6.5x12 and were did you get it.

retrodog
02-10-2008, 07:47 PM
PJ trailers has a dealer up there. I would seriously check em' out, they are built right in my back door. They just got their 10 million dollar powder coat system up and running, and a powder coat is rated to last a long time. I am tired of having to paint my trailers every 2 years.

Rizzo
02-11-2008, 12:24 AM
Berg Auto in Iowa City. He charges what the web site lists. Mine was the steel side with ramp gate and I think it was $1295.

stuntmanlogan
02-15-2008, 05:41 PM
Berg Auto in Iowa City. He charges what the web site lists. Mine was the steel side with ramp gate and I think it was $1295.

Do you have pics of your two trailers

topsites
02-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Asking this only leads to a never ending discussion, I see this over and over but the question itself doesn't make sense...

What if I said Trails West, what would you do with one of these?
http://www.trailswesttrailers.com/

All right, yes I understand you don't need a horse trailer.
But the question still leaves me as clueless.

A better question would be who makes a good "size and type of trailer" in "my area (your location)"?

Rizzo
02-15-2008, 06:38 PM
Do you have pics of your two trailers

Here is a link with my 6.5x12 trailer. The 5x10 is the same but smaller and with no toolbox... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=182130

Looking Good Lawn Service
02-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Some things to look for in a trailer, just suggestions
1. welds and how the trailer is made, type of steel, I prefer I channel better than angle iron, grab the front of a trailer, push down on a corner, if you can flex the other corner in the rear, it is a weak angle iron trailer
2. electrical, how is the wiring done, exposed, sealed in, quality of lights,ect
3. Floor, how close are crossmembers, I like 12" on centers, makes for a strong trailer, take no less than 16"
4. suspension, a dexter axle and torflex suspension is worth the extra cash, it needs no maintenance and will last the life of the trailer, not to mention ride great, unlike springs
that wear out
5. coupler, get at least a 2" ball, one with a heavy duty clasp that you just pull back on is easier to operate(ie doesnt get stuck as easy), plus if the pin goes in, you know its closed all the way, no guessing
6. good paint, I hate cheap paint

Good luck

kjslawn
02-17-2008, 01:57 PM
I just bought my second lawrimore trailer these trailers are the best built for the money. The dealer made me a deal I could not refuse on the second one 87" * 18' tandem with brakes for $ 1531.70 out the door. I need to build a cage for my cans and back pack blower. This trailer is a full square tube frame. So if someone has any input on how to build the cage let me know.

KS_Grasscutter
02-17-2008, 02:12 PM
PJ trailers has a dealer up there. I would seriously check em' out, they are built right in my back door. They just got their 10 million dollar powder coat system up and running, and a powder coat is rated to last a long time. I am tired of having to paint my trailers every 2 years.

Yep, I love my 7x16 PJ. Built extremely well. Love the powder coat, and the diamond plate fenders.

jdogg399
02-17-2008, 02:36 PM
hey i got a 6x10 with new wood on it and 36 exmark for sale

stuntmanlogan
02-17-2008, 08:44 PM
hey i got a 6x10 with new wood on it and 36 exmark for sale

Do you have any pics of either of them.

jdogg399
02-17-2008, 09:42 PM
check out my posts they find them 36 and trailer

Stillwater
02-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Im thinking about getting a trailer this year, because im getting tired of hauling my equitment around in the back of my truck any suggestions about what size or brand ive been looking alot at the hh trailers and this spring im picking up a 36in metro. Thanks

Their is no such thing as the best brand of anything, any answer to your question will be nothing more than a opinion.

stuntmanlogan
04-14-2008, 08:01 PM
This past saturday i went to the local hh dealership and found what i want. They had a 8.5x12 a 5x10 and even a little 5x8 golf cart trailer. I told the guy what i would be using it for and he told me he would suggest the golf cart trailer because the olny thing i will have on any of the trailers for the next 3 or 4 years are my 2 mowers 36in metro and 21 toro self propel. I didnt think that was a bad idea but i really liked that 12 foot. But that brings me to prices i thought they where kind of high he wanted 1600 for the 12 ft 1300 for the 10 ft and 725 for the 8 ft. And at the hh factory they want about 300 dollars less then here. So would you say go in a try to offer less or just pay what they want. Thanks

cclllc
11-17-2012, 11:41 AM
Try to stay away from anything built out of angle iron.Just not heavy enough. I have one that I bought years ago and it broke and had to get it welded.I may have overloaded it too. :)