PDA

View Full Version : Tundra v6 or v8

ribit
01-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Anyone out there use a Toyota Tundra for their business? I was thinking about the v8 model but was wondering what the gas mileage would be? Any response would be appreciated. Any info about the v6 would be ok too. Thanks

hosejockey2002
01-27-2008, 10:17 PM
To give a good answer we need to know what you plan to use the truck for. If it's like other Toyotas it will be well made and reliable, but the Tundra, like other 150/1500 series trucks is rather light duty, with the frame and suspension much lighter than 2500/3500 series pickups. For just light maintenance and towing they are fine but you will overload the bed easily if you have to haul any weight or tow a trailer with a heavy tongue. If they made a HD Tundra I would look real hard at it if they could keep the price reasonable.

Shopkeeper
01-28-2008, 12:15 PM
I have a 2001 V8 4x4 AC Tundra with 139,000 miles on it. I get about 14-15mpg in the city and around 20 on the high way. I might just be lucky, though. My dad has a 2003 V8 4x3 AC Tundra with 30,000 miles on it and he's getting about 13mpg in the city and 17 on the highway.

The trucks really are great depending on what you're using them for. I've maxed the payload and gone off road to dump the concrete chunks and various other landscaping materials and even through the hills and all the truck goes where I want it to no questions asked.

More typically however, I am carrying a 34inch WB, ramps, gas, trimmer, blower, and various other tools in the bed (probably close to 1000lbs) and she does fine around town. Quick to accelerate, holds the weight great, fits all my equipment good (could be better if I had an 8ft bed), and still gets good mileage.

Overall, I think it's a great truck and you won't be dissapointed as long as you buy it and use it for what it was made to do. If you try and over work it, it will fail like anything else. Buy what you need.