PDA

View Full Version : walker mowewr p.t.o gear box removel

10fountain
01-27-2008, 09:58 PM
how to take out gear box out of mower

Restrorob
01-28-2008, 10:05 AM
I'm not familiar with the Walker line, But you may be able to get a idea by looking at the parts break-down.

With your model numbers you can download one here;

http://www.walkermowers.com/index.htm1?section=manuals

Landrus2
01-28-2008, 10:46 AM
The removal its not difficult pressing the pulleys out is a little more time consuming but if you have a good gear pulley should be no problem by the way have you see the PTO
That's is on eBay look under walker mower you will find it there. chek your part numbers :drinkup:

10fountain
01-28-2008, 11:24 AM
do i have to take out blower or hydro there is know room to move the gear box around.

Jason Rose
01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
I'm pretty fimiliar with this one, Just replaced mine last fall. Twice... Dealer sent me with the wrong one for my machine and it turned the opposite direction!

You can get it out w/o removing the blower, it's just a VERY tight fit. Both of the belt pulleys MUST be off. If the pulley that runs the blower won't come off (and you really can't get a puller in there) its just easiest to cut off the splined shaft with a sawz-all. (that's what I did anyway) The new gearbox I was able to pop the pulley back off again pretty easily.

I removed the tire of that side and left it jacked up. Everything else is pretty much self explanatory.

Mine has a dip stick tube on it, and it had/has small drilled holes in it, 3 on the length that sticks up and another that's inside the gearbox itself. What in the heck they are for is beyond me, but the 2 lower ones were doing a great job of spewing lube all over, and also I'd imigine letting in dirt. I put a small weld over the 2 exposed lower holes and sloved that problem.

Jason Rose
01-28-2008, 03:31 PM
That's is on eBay look under walker mower you will find it there. chek your part numbers :drinkup:

Yes, check and DOUBLE check the numbers... There's 2 gear boxes available, both appear completely identical from the outside and will both bolt up and work... However one spins OPPOSITE of the other!

My walker is older and the output on the engine is on the "back-side" whereas the newer machines the engine output is on the flywheel side. Thus the need for gearboxes that run in opposite directions. Dealer accidently gave me the wrong one the first time around... I was a little annoyed when I went to mow the next day and all it did was woosh the grass around because the blades and blower were spinning the wrong way!

ericg
01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
I have a question. If the gears obviously rotate 360 degrees, why would it matter which way they were turning thus requiring two different boxes? Is it the physical location of the driven belt that makes the rotation difference?

Eric

lucforce
01-28-2008, 11:14 PM
The earlier models had the engines facing the opposite direction. Thus the belt driving the system was rotating the opposite direction. The newer models drive the belts off of the flywheel end of the crankshaft and have virtually no pto end.

10fountain
01-29-2008, 12:24 PM
the pto gear box is leaking i was going to change out the seals.do you thank it is worth it?

Jason Rose
01-29-2008, 12:46 PM
the pto gear box is leaking i was going to change out the seals.do you thank it is worth it?

No... If the seals are leaking it's very likely that the cause is the bearings being shot. Yes, the gearbox is very expensive ($325-ish) But replacing the seals will likely be a very tempoary fix. (been there tried that with a similar situation on a different machine.)