PDA

View Full Version : Skid steer on 12ft trailer

asjgabries
01-27-2008, 11:14 PM
Anyone here have a 12ft skid steer trailer? I was looking at getting a 12ft dump trailer and putting a skid steer in it.

BIGBEN2004
01-28-2008, 10:03 AM
It would depend on what size skid steer you will be putting in it. It will work as long as it doesn't put too much tongue weight on the truck. Short trailers have a tendency to put allot on tongue weight on the hitch. Also make sure it doesn't put too much weight behind the axles on the trailer or else you will get trailer sway and loose control. With a short trailer it is hard to move the machine around to equalize the weight correctly. Just a thought.

ma5tr
01-28-2008, 10:17 AM
I had a 12' skidsteer trailer for my Cat 232b. I bought it new, and after a week with it realized I had made a horrible mistake. Way to much tongue weight, and it gave a very rough ride. luckily the manufacturer allowed us to upgrade to the 14' and took ours back no questions asked.

RockSet N' Grade
01-28-2008, 10:31 AM
12' trailer is just too small in length. there is no extra room, and you will need the room. we use an 18' tandem axle, both dump and flat bed.

Construct'O
01-28-2008, 11:38 AM
I like the gooseneck trailer way better what every length you get.Just pulls better less sway.Weight more even,,try one and you will notice the difference right away.

I would get bigger trailer like said,you will always need more room as you add attachment.Good luck.

BIGBEN2004
01-28-2008, 11:52 AM
I like the gooseneck trailer way better what every length you get.Just pulls better less sway.Weight more even,,try one and you will notice the difference right away.

I would get bigger trailer like said,you will always need more room as you add attachment.Good luck.

I agree with that 100%. I like a gooseneck any day over bumper hitch, but If you are going to pull it behind a dumptruck like me then you have to go with the bumper hitch.

Scag48
01-28-2008, 03:34 PM
We have a 14 foot dump trailer and it's too short, 12 feet would definately be way too short.

clydesdale
05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
I have the same question, but I would purchase a bobcat 743 or 753 and I am only going to tow it home. But it may be up to 250 miles away. Once home, I'd rarely tow. I have a low profile HD 12 ft dump. Will this work? I tow with an f-350 diesel.

clydesdale
05-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Furthermore, since this is mostly for the rare occassional transport, would taking of the bucket allow me to position it a little better on the trailer. Thanks. I just want to make sure I can get this home. I realize that if I was transporting daily, a longer trailer would be better. Thanks

sunray237
05-14-2008, 12:15 AM
I pulled my t-190 on a 12 foot anderson trailer behind a 2500hd with a 8100 vortex.
It pulled alright but they are right about the tongue weight, it was a real trick to get it just right on that trailer.
an inch either way made a major difference in the way it towed.
I sold it and got an 18 foot and it's great,enough room for an attachment and the bobcat.
by the time you put the skid in a dump trailer you have a heavy package to tow.

JDSKIDSTEER
05-14-2008, 07:28 AM
I have used 12', 14', 16' and 18' I would use no shorter than 16'. All I use and sell now is 18'. It is easier to balance the load and you have room for an extra attachment.

clydesdale
05-14-2008, 08:42 AM
I here you guys. If I was going to do this regularly, I would get a new trailer. But I am only going to tow it home and occassionally to a relative or friend's house. This is not something I do for business. So, I am hoping I can get it home and I do not want to shop for a machine that won't fit on it. I am toying with getting an older bobcat 743 or 753. If I do take off the bucket, how much more room will that give me? Thanks

stuvecorp
05-14-2008, 03:44 PM
When I started I got a NH665 that had a Gruett 12' tilt trailer as part of the package, not saying it is the best but used it for 4-5 years. I never had any problems with it, used our 450 to tow it. After I got the Towmaster we would sometimes tow the Polaris on it behind a pickup.

YellowDogSVC
05-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Furthermore, since this is mostly for the rare occassional transport, would taking of the bucket allow me to position it a little better on the trailer. Thanks. I just want to make sure I can get this home. I realize that if I was transporting daily, a longer trailer would be better. Thanks

you should be fine for the occasional pull. I tried an s300 in a 12', 14k bumper dump and hated it. Did it 2x, no bucket, won't do it again. Would tow a 763 sized bobcat or less. Maybe an s185 or corresponding CAT or other brand. To me, for hauling all the time, the dumps sit up too high and I don't like the change in center of gravity.

hickslawns
05-15-2008, 12:18 AM
See if your local dealer or rental yard rents trailers. Before you spend the money, it might be worth a couple $30-50 rentals or whatever trailers rent for per day. Try a couple different ones before spending the bucks. If you already have the dump trailer, just make sure you are not weighting behind the axles too much as previously mentioned. Not much fun if you have ever had the tail waggin' the dog. Did it once when I was younger and learned a valuable lesson on trailer loads.

Summit L & D
05-16-2008, 02:36 AM
I here you guys. If I was going to do this regularly, I would get a new trailer. But I am only going to tow it home and occassionally to a relative or friend's house. This is not something I do for business. So, I am hoping I can get it home and I do not want to shop for a machine that won't fit on it. I am toying with getting an older bobcat 743 or 753. If I do take off the bucket, how much more room will that give me? Thanks

How much room will you gain if you take off the bucket.....about 18".

You should be able to do it. Just make sure that it doesn't go over the existing weight limit of the trailer.

wellbuilt
05-27-2008, 01:43 AM
I would drive a bob cat 753 in my 12' dump trailer drives fine on the road .I had chains that where cut to size for the front and binders for the rear so the skid stayed in the same spot every time. I had to put jacks on the rear of the trailer so the rear wheel of the truck would stay on the ground. Its much better to back the skidsteer up the ramps so you could drive out looking at the ground. Pulling with my f 350 i would leave my bucket hooked over the rear door so the trailer would ride even . (snap brackets helped ) on my dump truck it did not matter much. I drive a 8000lb ex in the dumpster ,that's a bit tricky. The boom rides on a bracket on the tong and gets chained down .I have a 16' equp trailer that is easy to load but the ex rides on that so the bobcat still gos in the dumpster . .I use 6x6 blocks under the dumper if i dont have jacks,You have to tip the bed about a foot so the dump hits the blocks after you ride in you put the bed down and remove the blocks.