PDA

View Full Version : Merit Application Timing for Scale

wooley99
01-28-2008, 08:39 AM
Can you tell me when would be a good time to begin applying Merit to shrubs for controlling scale insects in NW FL? I'd like to do it next month when I thin, prune, apply pre-m and mulch but at 100 bucks a bag I also want to make sure the plants will take it up.

Thanks

Ric
01-28-2008, 10:41 AM
wooley

Mar 15th is my no freeze date in SW Fla. In a normal year I like to wait until after that date to apply Merit. But our scale pressure is such that I also put Merit down in Sept. I find that even with two application a year Merit doesn't always prevent sucking insects. Our heavy rainy season and higher soil temperatures cause heavy growth.

wooley99
01-28-2008, 10:56 AM
Ric,

You da man! Thanks for the info once again. I may need to adjust my maintenance plan accordingly. I wasn't legal or smart enough to apply in Sep but I will hit them in the fall too next year. In the meantime while it's cold I've been spraying them with Volk oil when there's signs of the creepy scale babies. It may thin them out a little, it does wash some of the sooty mold off, it gives me something to do and it appears to the clients like something is happening.

Ric
01-28-2008, 11:23 AM
wooley

Granular Merit is the only way to go. Save money and the environment by only treating those plants that need protection.

boats47
01-28-2008, 07:07 PM
If you use 75WSP I think you will be very happy with the results. One thing to remember is that with anything of lg caliper you really are treating for the next year. Up here in the NE we gauge the bud break with our apps of merit for insect control on shrubs and really as long as the ground is not frozen trees can be done anytime, as it is based on systemic control. I am not sure about granular, I suppose a time release dosed into holes around the landscape would work the same.