PDA

View Full Version : Check your nuts (lugnuts)

GreenAcresLC
01-28-2008, 01:25 PM
All of us have trailers and trucks that see a lot of road travel. Be sure to check the lugs on both, and keep maintenance up on bearings and all mechanical items.

This happened on saturday the 26th on the interstate (I-71South in KY) as a result of a horse trailer losing a wheel. The story: I was not in the truck seen, my father was. I was traveling directly in front of him in my rig (I'm a full time local trucker looking to get off the road and more into the grass, just not like he did!). On the other side of the Interstate, heading north, a horse trailer lost a wheel and here it came! Across the median, and in between my dad and I. Figure the wheel/tire was traveling at least 55 (70MPH limit in KY), and dad's cruise set at 70, it was at least a 125MPH impact. The tire did so much damage under the hood and to the firewall and dash the truck is totalled! The picture does not to this accident justice. When the tire struck him, it broke the steering rod and locked his wheels as they are now, just a hair off center to the left. With no control (the engine died as a result of electronic malfunction, and the wheels locked in place), he crossed the left lane, into the median, and over onto the Northbound lanes, jackknifing in front of oncoming traffic. Very luckily, everyone saw what was happening, and no other vehicles were involved. All people came out untouched. Not so much for the truck though.

Now, just imagine the scenario was this: A small car, say one of the tree-huggers' Toyota Prius cars was travelling and the tire hit them. Probably be death for the passengers in the car. Think about this when doing maintenance on your vehicles, and do the very best you (we) can to insure everyone's safety.

By the way, the driver of the horse trailer didn't know he had lost a wheel until the State Police caught up with him 17 miles up the road.

PlatinumLandCon
01-28-2008, 01:44 PM
Wowwww thats nuts! So the truck pictured was your dad's?

GreenAcresLC
01-28-2008, 10:46 PM
yeah, the truck pictured was dad's, that's him in pic 2 with the hat on. I finally got stopped right before the overpass you can see. Can barely see my truck by the sign in the distance on the top right. Bad day, but could've always been worse.

Valk
01-29-2008, 02:07 AM
Am glad no one was hurt though beyond shocking it must have been!

Had a similar experience on a divided interstate...just no impact. Was a full sized single semi wheel and tire, fully inflated, come bouncing toward me from oncoming traffic. I originally saw it in the distance and then it disappeared behind the concrete median...yeah, doing at least 50mph. Lo and behold it somehow bounces over the concrete median right in line with my car...right in line with me. Had I braked AT ALL AT ANY TIME LEADING UP TO THIS it would have been curtains - as I saw this thing barely miss my trunk in my rearview mirror...and continue its path off the highway safely missing any other nearby traffic. It all happened so fast...there was no time for my life to even begin flashing before my eyes. :dizzy:

What does something like that weigh? 100+ lbs?? This was tall like a front tire as opposed to a smaller shorter drive or trailer tire...

bigw
01-29-2008, 02:18 AM
how can you drive 17 miles and not know you lost a wheel on your trailer :confused:

topsites
01-29-2008, 04:06 AM
how can you drive 17 miles and not know you lost a wheel on your trailer :confused:

Same way I drove my pick up truck and 6x12 trailer doing 45-50mph not even realizing a trailer tire had gone completely flat, first thing I felt is there seemed to be some minor steering issue, like it kept wanting to not drive exactly the way I was pointing it but it really was minor. So I drove a nice little distance while I kept wondering what could be wrong with the steering, finally I saw the trailer swerve a little so I checked my mirrors and noticed.

So I'm sure sometimes on an 18 wheeler you don't hardly feel it either.
Might translate to a tiny vibration or some such thing, you're just as well thinking it's an inconsistency in the road.

bigw
01-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Same way I drove my pick up truck and 6x12 trailer doing 45-50mph not even realizing a trailer tire had gone completely flat, first thing I felt is there seemed to be some minor steering issue, like it kept wanting to not drive exactly the way I was pointing it but it really was minor. So I drove a nice little distance while I kept wondering what could be wrong with the steering, finally I saw the trailer swerve a little so I checked my mirrors and noticed.

So I'm sure sometimes on an 18 wheeler you don't hardly feel it either.
Might translate to a tiny vibration or some such thing, you're just as well thinking it's an inconsistency in the road.

Oh ok but i thought this was just a normal size horse trailer that lost its wheel not an 18 wheeler my bad.....and if the entire wheel came off they would be driving on the brake drum and id think you would feel or hear that alot more then a flat tire dont you agree? "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel" wasnt that Kenny rogers...lol

PlatinumLandCon
01-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh ok but i thought this was just a normal size horse trailer that lost its wheel not an 18 wheeler my bad.....and if the entire wheel came off they would be driving on the brake drum and id think you would feel or hear that alot more then a flat tire dont you agree? "You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel" wasnt that Kenny rogers...lol

If it was an 18 wheeler you could lose multiple wheels before it really became an issue of the brakes dragging. The guy must have been day dreaming and didnt realise.

SiteSolutions
01-29-2008, 11:20 AM
Maybe it was a three axle horse trailer? It would be easy enough for someone to not notice missing one out of six wheels, especially if they are the kind of person to not check their nuts in the first place.

Stillwater
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM

if you have 4 tires on your trailer and 1 is flat the other 3 hold the trailer so the flat tire never "Looks" flat. So it is not that hard to over look a flat tire I have a few times. Now if you have 8 tires on a trailer and 1 goes Bye bye the driver could continue driving totally unaware because he has 7 other tires

GreenAcresLC
01-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, it was a three axle gooseneck pulled behind a 3/4 ton pickup. It was either the front or middle axle that lost the wheel. It could be easy enough not to notice. As for the semi that lost its wheel, fully inflated it could weigh somewhere from 100-350 pounds, depending on tire size, and the makeup of the wheel: aluminum or steel, 11inch tire or super single (15-16 inches wide, very heavy). I'd put an inflated horse trailer tire/wheel at somewhere around 75-100 pounds. Amazing what damage something that light can do.

TAF
01-31-2008, 03:08 PM
I have never lost a wheel and tire, but did lose just the tire itself. Here is what I had when I got home. I felt a little jerk and that was about it. I stopped to check out my load and found that I was missing 1 of 6 tires. I made it home 2 miles on the rim. found my tire the next day with a big piece of metal in the sidewall. I check my lugs frequently and am always looking in my mirrors for something weird on the trailer.

SLR
02-01-2008, 04:50 PM
Now, just imagine the scenario was a small car/Prius..
==================
Even worse.. streetbike!

LB1234
02-01-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm driving down a back county road late last summer pulling my 24' enclosed trailer to go get it lettered. I hear this lady in her beamer blasting her horn at me and telling me to pull over. I was like what the heck did I do now...

She tells me that I nearly killed her about a mile back. My eyes bigged out of my head. I said I was sorry and asked what I did. She says you don't know and I said sorry, no. I mean I wasn't swerving or anything or slamming on the brakes...

She says you lost a tire and it bounced up and nearly hit my car and the car behind me (she was in her convertible with the top down). My draw dropped and I started apologizing left and right asked if there was anything I can do. She was realy nice about it (was calmer than I would have been) and went on her way. I pull over and sure enough the front (I think I can't remember now) driver side trailer tire completely sheared off from the bolts. The only real damage (besides the tire) was a slight dent in the fender flare.

I dunno, it was wierd. I did hear something a few miles back and slowed down and checked my mirrors. It sounded like I ran over a piece of metal and it kicked up and down under the trailer for a second or two.

Man was I lucky.

SLR
02-01-2008, 07:29 PM
She says you lost a tire and it bounced up and nearly hit my car and the car behind me (she was in her convertible with the top down).
-----------
Man, thats way to close to a nearly & permanantly changed life..glad to hear it turned in your favor,whew & yikes..now go buy a lotto ticket!

NBI Lawn
02-02-2008, 11:57 AM
That looks like it could have been much worse :dizzy:

This has happened to me. The first day I had my new trailer I was towing it home and lost a tire on the way. Had no idea I lost it, the trailer was empty so the other axle took up the extra weight.

This is the "funny" part, it has the wagon style wheels on it. Where they weld the two peices together is where they failed. When I got home the only piece left was the part that bolts to the trailer ;). I turned around and looked for it but no luck. Fortunatly it was the passanger side so I assume it went into the ditch.

I circled the area where the welds were to get an idea what I am talking about.

mike lane lawn care
02-02-2008, 01:00 PM
i was doing about 65 on the turnpike, with a car loaded on the trailer and one of the 4 tires shredded right off the rim. i felt the trailer swerve, but i thought since it was raining that it just skidded. looked back and everything was fine. about 20 miles later i arive at my destination to find that the tire is no longer there. in hindsight, it could have been much worse had the trailer flipped with the car on top of it.