PDA

View Full Version : Helping out UNIQUE

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Background: I was at the AOLP conference and checking out the UNIQUE line. I actually like a couple of their fixtures, specifially the Stellar, Starburst and Voyager.

Issue: I picked up the gutter mount unit and quickly noticed how small it seemed. Sure enough it is built for 4" wide gutters (eavestroughs we call them here)

Assistance: How many other sizes of gutters/eavestroughs are there out there and how prevalant are they? Here our standard gutters are 5" wide and our premium gutters are 6" wide. Only older suburban homes have 4" wide troughs.

What are the standard gutter widths in your market?

Joey and Nate will appreciate your replies.... (See that Joey, I actually got your back man! :) )

JoeyD
01-28-2008, 08:06 PM
James has seen the dark side and he LIKES IT!!

Seriously guys this is huge feedback as we will be deciding to make a few different sized brackets to fit different sized gutters. We will only make this change pending contractor feedback so please get us your info!!!!!

Again here is the bracket James is discussing here, we callit our Uni-Bracket and its main design was for the purpose of installing lights in rain gutters to highlight dormers and 2nd and 3rd story roof lines. I am sure you creative guys will come upw ith other uses for it!!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/SequencerandUniBracket022.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/SequencerandUniBracket021.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/SequencerandUniBracket018.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/UniBracket1.jpg

Eden Lights
01-28-2008, 08:50 PM
James has seen the dark side and he LIKES IT!!

Seriously guys this is huge feedback as we will be deciding to make a few different sized brackets to fit different sized gutters. We will only make this change pending contractor feedback so please get us your info!!!!!

Again here is the bracket James is discussing here, we callit our Uni-Bracket and its main design was for the purpose of installing lights in rain gutters to highlight dormers and 2nd and 3rd story roof lines. I am sure you creative guys will come upw ith other uses for it!!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/SequencerandUniBracket022.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/SequencerandUniBracket021.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/SequencerandUniBracket018.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/UniBracket1.jpg

Wow! Holes in the gutter down that low?

5" min. gutter size here, We use a premium gutter hanger with a hole cut out of the center for the fixture stem, which is rock solid and cost a couple of bucks.

Chris J
01-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Care to share the link Eddie?

Eden Lights
01-29-2008, 12:27 AM
Local gutter contractor gets them for me, they are the wide, screw on type. I remove the screw and then drill my mounting hole with a hole saw. I then install the gutter mount just like the one behind Unique's pic. Screw in fixture of choice and I sometimes put a conduit nut on the underside if needed. I will post some pics, I have three to do tomorrow.

Chris J
01-29-2008, 12:32 AM
Cool. I'll be looking forward to the info.
Thanks,

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Joey: I saw the photo of the mount in application. It might work in S. California or AZ to screw the mount into the gutter, through the wall, at that level but I cannot imagine ever doing such a thing here. Doing so comprimises the integrity of the gutter and opens it up for leakage in the future.

90% of my clients are installing copper eavestroughs and downspouts on their homes. These are wildly expensive systems that are custom built on site from flat stock. Prices are in the double digits per foot for some systems. I could not possibly take the risk associated with puncturing these gutters with mounting screws.

I thought your gutter bracket was mounted between the upper top edge and the fascia board, just like a gutter hanger bracket. I had no idea it was intended to be placed inside the gutter in such a fashion.

I like the idea of a gutter mount bracket, but it needs to be perfected, less invasive and non penetrating.

Thanks.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-29-2008, 09:05 AM
Local gutter contractor gets them for me, they are the wide, screw on type. I remove the screw and then drill my mounting hole with a hole saw. I then install the gutter mount just like the one behind Unique's pic. Screw in fixture of choice and I sometimes put a conduit nut on the underside if needed. I will post some pics, I have three to do tomorrow.

I would really like to see a photo of what you are using too. Perhaps you might call your source and see if you can dig up some supplier info?

Previously I have always been figuring out 'custom' methods of mounting to the roof deck at the edge of the gutter for fixtures aimed on dormers and such. I have never been 100% happy with that method. Thankfully we use a lot of hand split cedar shakes around here, so the thichnesses are excellent and I can usually secure a flush mount right to the top of the last layer of "shingle"

Having a proper gutter mount that acts like a gutter hanger bracket would be wonderful.

Thanks in advance.

Lite4
01-29-2008, 10:49 AM
Here is something else to think about. Around here we have companies that sell those gutter covers. If that fixture is sitting down in the bottom of the gutter not only does it come in contact with some standing water for short periods of time, but with these gutter covers, especially the foam ones, the fixture could stay wet against the foam for some time. I like the idea of putting it on top like James suggested. I don't ever put screws into the bottom of the gutters. Too much liability for me.

JoeyD
01-29-2008, 10:59 AM
Joey: I saw the photo of the mount in application. It might work in S. California or AZ to screw the mount into the gutter, through the wall, at that level but I cannot imagine ever doing such a thing here. Doing so comprimises the integrity of the gutter and opens it up for leakage in the future.

90% of my clients are installing copper eavestroughs and downspouts on their homes. These are wildly expensive systems that are custom built on site from flat stock. Prices are in the double digits per foot for some systems. I could not possibly take the risk associated with puncturing these gutters with mounting screws.

I thought your gutter bracket was mounted between the upper top edge and the fascia board, just like a gutter hanger bracket. I had no idea it was intended to be placed inside the gutter in such a fashion.

I like the idea of a gutter mount bracket, but it needs to be perfected, less invasive and non penetrating.

Thanks.

This was someone else who installed it. I wanted to give you guys an idea. Only picture I have on my PC. But you are correct, the mounting should go much higher int he gutter under the lip. This was not installed 100% correct.

JoeyD
01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Okay here is a properly installed Gutter Bracket/Uni Bracket. The other guy did use silicone in that install but this is how it was designed to be installed.

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Gutterbracket.jpg

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Ok Joey, now build one that comes all the way across the width of the gutter and adjoins to the outside, upper lip of the gutter.

This will give it added stability... you see here we have this thing called snow. The snow actually gets quite deep. (I have about 2 feet on top of my home right now, and it is due for the 3rd roof shovelling this season) When the snow gets really deep it tends to start to slide off the roof, much like a mini avalanche. So you have to have a very sturdy mount to hold a fixture in that position.

I am sure that most of the northern and north eastern contractors will know what I am talking about here.

Have a great day.

NightScenes
01-29-2008, 01:54 PM
I use a Kichler 15607 mounting bracket and screw it directly to the cross brace of the cutter. I do like the Unique bracket though. Maybe think about making it adjustable instead of different sizes.

Mike M
01-29-2008, 11:24 PM
you see here we have this thing called snow--James the Canadian

That's your problem! :laugh:

ChampionLS
01-30-2008, 03:29 AM
Why would you want to attach it to the gutter? If your worried about snow bending it, all that's going to do is pull the gutter off the house. Just make a stronger bracket. Don't use aluminum. Use stainless steel 0.045 half hard.

JoeyD
01-30-2008, 11:10 AM
our bracket is stainless steel and it holds our Big Bangs and Starbursts all day. (for those not familiar with a Big Bang it weighs 5lbs and is our heaviest light) Regardless of what you may think James we actually do have customers, maybe one or two where it snows.:laugh: They use them all day and they love them. They are plenty strong. I am going to discuss making a larger version for the larger brackets. Makeing it extendable we belive will weeken it.

As for moutning them, some anchor them in and some lag bolt them in by going all the way through the fascia. It really depends on the roof and the way the gutter is hung to it. These brackets are very strong and rigid. Its wise to use some sort of an o-ring where the screw or bolt goes through the gutter if mounting it that way. If you do not have an o-ring kit then putting some silicone will give you piece of mind. If mounted properly then you should have zero issues.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
01-30-2008, 04:28 PM
I look forward to seeing your 5" and 6" models Joey... The adjustable idea 4-6" has some merit... would make things much easier for you and everyone else, I am sure it could be built.

Regards.

JoeyD
01-30-2008, 04:32 PM
It could be built but we dont want to lose the rigedness. If we do decide to make a larger unit it will be just that. Same design just larger. maybe with a flange to rest ont he other side of the gutter for extra stability.