PDA

View Full Version : F450 V10 question

Terraformer
01-28-2008, 06:14 PM
I was thinking about buying a diesel rig, but this Ford F450 V10 came up. It's a 2001 with 18,000 miles on it and it's like brand new. Manual transmission and 4 yard dump. I would use it to pull a loaded 10k equipment trailer.

I have no experience with the V10. Will it pull well? Does the engine hold up well? What should I expect the fuel consumption to be loaded and empty?

All input will be appreciated!

lwcmattlifter
01-28-2008, 06:44 PM
I've logged a lot of miles on a F-550 V-10 automatic trans and 4.88 gears. If you have a choice get the diesel. This thing is a dog with any amount of weight in tow or in the bed. It needed the 5.38's in a bad way. Fuel mileage was around 7-9 at best. I think it would be better with a manual because you can keep the engine in the power band longer. That engine needs to stay above 3500 rpm to make any real power.

The 7.5 EFI that the V-10 replaced make the V-10 feel like a toy and got the same fuel mileage. We haven't had any breakdowns but only have 75,000 on the clock.

Gravel Rat
01-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Are you sure the truck doesn't have 118,000 miles. A truck with only 18,000 miles is very rare to never. Something doesn't seem right.

Anyhow the V-10 will be okay the engine will probably guzzle back 8mpg but the truck should have enough power. The older V-10s had spark plug popper problem.

If the price is right and it actually only has 18,000 miles go for it. If the odo isn't right then run like h*ll. You can tell if the clutch and brake pedals are worn off.

Terraformer
01-28-2008, 07:34 PM
Are you sure the truck doesn't have 118,000 miles. A truck with only 18,000 miles is very rare to never. Something doesn't seem right.

Anyhow the V-10 will be okay the engine will probably guzzle back 8mpg but the truck should have enough power. The older V-10s had spark plug popper problem.

If the price is right and it actually only has 18,000 miles go for it. If the odo isn't right then run like h*ll. You can tell if the clutch and brake pedals are worn off.

I failed to mention that I personally know the owner and the history of the truck. Mileage is accurate. He bought the truck new for his concrete flat work business, but soon after switched to doing only decorative (e.g. stamping and colored) new construction flat work - hence no more concrete tear outs. Truck doesn't get used much and sits in the shop.

As much as I want a diesel 4x4, if I can pick this up for around $18K I'm thinking I would be way ahead - even if the MPG is 5 miles less than a diesel.

Gravel Rat
01-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I would go for it if you know the truck and know the owner. The only thing to keep in mind a truck that doesn't get driven much ends up with lot rot. You may end up doing lots of repairs to the truck especially rebuilding the brakes and replacing the tires. The engine oil is probably pretty acidic from sitting so much. If the truck still has the orignal General Tires the first thing to change would be all 6 of them.

You may end up with brake caliper leaks etc.

When you get the truck put a heavy load in the truck max the gvw out and drive the b--ch hard get the parts warmed up and things moving :laugh:

Like I said if the truck still has the factory tires change atleast the steer tires right away. They may have lots of tread left on them but they rot and get weak. If a 225-70R19.5 tire lets go it will take out one of the front fenders :cry:

bobcat_ron
01-28-2008, 08:17 PM
The Municipality I work for has a F450 with the V10, they love beating on it, nothing like the sound of all 10 cylinders roaring at red line!

Gravel Rat
01-28-2008, 08:32 PM
I have seen a few F-450s with V-10 power (2valve) engines screaming to redline. They seem to like the revs I guess if your used to driving a 2 stroke detroit the V-10 is for you :laugh:

The logging contractors in the area have been buying the retired B.C. Hydro trucks they have V-10 power never have any problems with the V-10s.

I was told the new 3 valve V-10 is even better with more power.

lwcmattlifter
01-28-2008, 09:15 PM
The Municipality I work for has a F450 with the V10, they love beating on it, nothing like the sound of all 10 cylinders roaring at red line!

That's the only way to drive them.

J&R Landscaping
01-28-2008, 09:19 PM
That sounds like a good deal! Heck if you don't buy it and were closer, I'd probably consider it!