PDA

View Full Version : Wow! What a difference!

sheppard
10-29-2001, 05:13 PM
Tried something new today. After reading so many posts on doubles I rigged something for my Snapper 36 ". I put high lift blades on the bottom and Gators on top. On most of my lawns today it almost looked like I was running a bagger! The difference was incredible. The only down side was the amount of dust it generated. Had to constantly blow off the build up. That's a small price to pay. Did put a strain on the belts engageing the blades and the engine was noticeably strained, but not so I could'nt do the job.

I'm sold- I will always use doubles!

Cordially,
Sheppard

Eric ELM
10-29-2001, 05:39 PM
You have been a member since April and just now tried doubles? ;)

Just giving you a hard time. They do make a difference for some of us. :)

65hoss
10-29-2001, 05:40 PM
Double what? Do we have any threads on that topic? humm...

:p

sheppard
10-29-2001, 05:43 PM
Had too many other things to learn. Jumped into this with very little experience and no natural mechanical ability! My dealer told me I could not run doubles on my system. Beleived him untill I read somebody was doing it on a Snapper 36"- took the plunge and happay I did.

Cordially,
S

Dochere
10-29-2001, 05:47 PM
Way to prove your dealer wrong, glad they worked for ya.

Eric ELM: You have been a member since April and just now tried doubles?

Should'nt he be kicked off of here for the delay? J/K!

awm
10-29-2001, 06:25 PM
after a period of 2 wks running single gators ,i went to leaf setup . mulchers and gators on top. guess what i noticed most.
the blades could be engaged at lower rpm than w singleswithout stalling motor. my only explanation is thet the 4 blades create a better balance .what ever ,im not makin this up
tho some i suspect will think that. it was a surprize to me,but the difference was significant. later now

Mowman
10-29-2001, 06:31 PM
Since getting my new 52"SD deck for my Walker I will always run the double blade set-up. Walker's mulching blade goes on the top and the high lift on the bottom. I can cut grass that is 8" in length down to 3" with only 1 pass and it looks as if I bagged it. So far leaves have been CHEWED to DUST. IMHO doubles are the only way to FLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Good Luck with your Snapper Combo.

Mowman

Mark
10-29-2001, 07:08 PM
Sheppard i have been running doubles on my 52" Snapper Walkbehind now for over two yrs, it cut great before i cut with the doubles now it cuts Awesome. Snapper walkbehinds are my favorite hands down. Also run them on my Z-Master 62" also cuts awesome now you need a blade grinder if you don't already have one ive got the RBG 218 thats what Eric uses so i went with that brand and am very pleased with its preformance. I agree with awm when he says the doubles seem to make the mower better balanced,i have no problem engageing my blades and mine don't sound real loud as some members speek of, glad you started up with them now with leaf season youll tell a big difference. Marks Mowing Service

m&m
10-29-2001, 07:26 PM
how much higher do you have to lift deck if you are origiinally cutting at 3-3.5 inches with the one gator blade?

Pacific Nursery
10-29-2001, 07:34 PM
When running dbls do you install them one on top of the other or put some space between them, gators always on top, do you sharpen both every day?

65hoss
10-30-2001, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by awm
after a period of 2 wks running single gators ,i went to leaf setup . mulchers and gators on top. guess what i noticed most.
the blades could be engaged at lower rpm than w singleswithout stalling motor. my only explanation is thet the 4 blades create a better balance .what ever ,im not makin this up
tho some i suspect will think that. it was a surprize to me,but the difference was significant. later now

I also noticed something strange. I put the gators on (singles) with the mulching kit. The blades can be engaged lower as AWM said, but the rpm's at full throttle with blades engaged is higher. I guess the exmark mulching blade design was putting drag on the motor. Its about 50 rpm's more.

GrassChopper
10-30-2001, 07:19 AM
Sheppard, I assume you didn't buy a special bracket to hold the blades. What did you use?

Also, what effect does running doubles have on the mower and engine warrantees?

If any of you Wright Stander factory reps are reading this, maybe you could answer for me.

scott's turf
10-30-2001, 07:26 AM
Do you doubles guys run them all year or just in the high growth and leaves in the fall. I am a new member and am going to try the setup this weekend. I have a spare set of gators kickin around. How much do you think it reduces your bagging interval?

Eric ELM
10-30-2001, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by GrassChopper
Also, what effect does running doubles have on the mower and engine warrantees?

It doesn't affect the warranty of a Dixie Chopper, but some MFG's don't approve of doubles.

It hasn't affected the motor on my old Chopper. I did an oil change last night on it at 3,800 hours. Just so you won't think I'm pulling numbers out of a hat here, I took a picture of the hour meter last night. ;)

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/images/hourmeter1.jpg

Charles
10-30-2001, 05:31 PM
I wore out the PTO belt in a relativily short time after running doubles. Not sure they are related but that large belt shouldn't have worn out that fast (lazer). Not sure exactly how many hours cause it slipped for along time before breaking.

lawnboy82
10-30-2001, 05:51 PM
I tried gators last weekend. The leaves were pretty heavy in one area of my lawn so I just raised the deck all the way up in front. Possibly just using the big blower would have been faster. I liked the look of the cut from afar, but up close you see those leaves down in the turf. I think that if you have access to the tigers / lazers / DC's / etc then it will be faster that a big blower by far. I found that going over the areas 3x with a 48" 14hp walk behind did the trick.

edward hedrick
10-30-2001, 08:34 PM
Thank you Eric, using Stens raptor on bottom and Stens 3 tab
gators on top on Scag Sthm and Std and gator on my lesco 52

That's better than sliced bread. Sure beats almost anything else.:blob3:

hustlers
10-30-2001, 09:48 PM
HELP

will this lower the life of my engine or its
components - anybody have some 2 cents let me
know before i try

Eric ELM
10-30-2001, 09:54 PM
Read the above post I wrote with the hour meter picture. I've run doubles all 3,800 hours of time on that DC. If they shortened it's life, what would I get without doubles. ;)

Flex-Deck
11-02-2001, 09:26 PM
I am running doubles on my JD 455 - 60" main deck + flex deck and do it all year now (78" total cut - 4 spindles). Dixie Chopper blade on bottom and a gator on top. It mows better, the discharge is negligable. It does not blast grass on my tombstones, and the yard always looks like it has been bagged.

lawn jockey
11-03-2001, 07:46 PM
:blob3: Man I put doubles on my ferris z this morning .....WOW!!!!!!!!!! all I can say is I wish I would ave sooner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1AWESOME Thanks eveyone

lawn jockey
11-03-2001, 07:47 PM
:blush: Sorry about the spelling

Mowingman
11-03-2001, 10:24 PM
I tried doubles yesterday for the first time.I put them on my almost new Toro 62" Z Master. I have the stock Toro medium lift blades on the bottom and Gator Magnums on top. I really like the look of the lawns I mowed with them. Can't even see any clippings. Used it today on a lawn covered with Oak leaves. The doubles chopped up the leaves a lot better than the Gators by themselves. I am side discharging, and on one pass, leaves were no larger than my thumbnail when discharged. Only drawbacks are more blowout under front of deck,(dust), more noise, and more strain on pto when engaging it.
I will definitly be putting them on my 72" Grasshopper also.I wish I had not procrastinated all summer.
:)

grassyfras
11-04-2001, 05:01 PM
I put doubles on a 21" toro 5.5 hp and sure enough the blades fell off :( I really cranked them down to and the engines started to overheat and the spark plug was also very hot. I couldnt tell a big difference Im thinking of trying it on my 36" but i just put gators on them and i does a great job if i double cut. What do you think i did wrong on the 21"?

TLS
11-04-2001, 09:32 PM
Grassyfras,

I dont know any way possible for anyone to make doubles work on most 21" mowers. They all tend to have some sort of blade adapter with locating shanks. Plus there just isn't much of a horsepower reserve with pushmowers.

EEEKKKSSSS, how did they fall off??? BE CAREFULL!!!

WHAT the heck are you doing feeling up your sparkplugs....???? Your a teenager, you should be feeling up....well, NEVERMIND!! All sparkplugs get real freekin hot! Thats their job!

scottt
11-04-2001, 10:28 PM
TLS,
Look at his profile and at the bottom of the page you will see he already has the feeling up part taken care of.

Eng Mwr Guy
11-06-2001, 08:30 PM
Hustlers wrote:
**HELP
will this lower the life of my engine or its
components - anybody have some 2 cents let me
know before i try**

Probably not.

champion
11-06-2001, 08:47 PM
I was just woundering do you line the blades up with the other ones or does it matter if there in a x shape.

sheppard
11-07-2001, 06:36 AM
I would think the blades should be at perfect right angles- keep any vibration down and possible damage is minimized. That's what worksfor me.

S.

TLS
11-07-2001, 08:47 AM
If your blades are individually balanced (like they always "should" be) then it doesn't matter what position that the doubles end up in. They will always be balanced. Ideally start them at right angles and torque them up. 99% of the time they just stay put. Every once and a while when you go to sharpen them, one set may have slipped a little, but its no problem.

Just remember, when using doubles, you are effectively lowering your height of cut (on most mowers) by the thickness of one blade (.203 - .250). This often times puts the cutting blade lower than the blade baffles, this is where the safety issue comes in to play. On Dixie Choppers you can remove the 1/2" spacer and all is well. On W/B's, remove one blade spacer (1/4") from the bottom and put in your tool box. All other brands, be careful!